Bonne Nuit, Lune

"...a gust of wind will blow you away…"

I have spent every moment by your side. The thought of one day without you terrifies me.

My parents are making me see a shrink. We talk about you. How we met. How long we've known each other. How I've been coping...

I don't know what to say when I get asked the last question. How is someone supposed to respond when they're asking how they're doing while their best friend is dying?

God, saying that makes me want to vomit. It physically makes me ill…

I've been going with you to chemo. The doctors say that it'll help, but everyday you become more of a ghost of who you once were. You're so skinny… I'm afraid a gust of wind will blow you away…

I hold you hand the whole time. Sometimes we laugh. Other times we listen to music. And then, there are times where we just sit in silence. We let the thickness surround us, and we embrace it.

You pointed out a boy to me the other day. He was sitting next to a woman, arm hooked up just like yours. Her face was shallow, cheekbones sunken in. The boy looked like he was our age. He was sad looking, in a strangely attractive way. You told me to go over and talk to him. I rolled my eyes and said no. This was our time together. No person, even a boy, could come between our time together.

Since then, you've been requesting that same time slot and every day, you've moved a chair closer to the duo. I've caught him whispering to the woman, both glancing in our direction.

If the times were different, I would talk to him. Just for you. Like I promised I would… One day.