Status: Complete

I Swear This Time I Mean It.

Jamison

When Keagan came back to me he wasn't mad, upset, or anything like that. It was strange how much his personality somewhat changed within the past few weeks. If this had happened 2 months ago? Forget it. Keagan would have blown up at me and probably went over to Russ to re-beat him. Well maybe not anything that drastic but something close to it.

It proved to me that he cared though. And that's part of the reason why I decided that I did need to be the one to talk to Russ. I couldn't go there because I missed enough school already; which was my own fault for dragging Keagan out to see his 'dad.' So it was going to be even harder to talk to Russ because of that. But at least I'd get to stay here with my boyfriend and wouldn't have to endure a fight or anything like that. He'd know exactly what happened and what was said, and who knows he could even put his two cents in if he really wanted to.

Keagan put his gym bag down and wrapped his arms around me.

I sighed happily and rested my chin on his forearm.

"I shouldn't ask. Because I already know. But have you made a decision yet?"

I nodded against his skin and kissed his wrist.

My heart jumped when I noticed I made the little hairs on his arms stick up.

Who knew an involuntary body action could be so... meaningful.

"I'm going to talk to him. Via facetime most likely. I can't go back home. So that's a good thing right? I don't have to leave you."

Keagan released me and patted my shoulder.

"I respect your choice, obviously. But you know my stance. I don't think it's worth it, to get involved. But you have to do what you think is right," he said as he let me go. "I'm gonna take a shower. If you wanna do it now, that would work. I don't know if I'll be able to listen to him make excuses and whine and whatnot. No offense. So just let me know what your plans are so I can make arrangements."

Of course he would leave when it happened. But I couldn't be mad. It was actually a really mature thing to do. Normally he'd love this shit and use it to get under Russ' skin.

My baby has matured.

Hopefully not too much. I like the sarcastic and somewhat narcisistic boy that I once knew. I know he's still there. But he's turning soft all because of me. Maybe one day he'll make fun of me for being a dork and all will be right in the world.

But for now I had to accept his choice just like he had accepted mine. Because that's what being in a serious relationship is all about. Give and take.

"Get your cute butt in the shower while I go ahead and make the call. But next time I'm joining you. Understand?"

I bit my lip and pushed him playfully.

His eyes lit up and he smirked.

"Ooh snippy and demanding. I like it," he said and turned his back to walk away. "I'll hold you to that," he mumbled as he headed towards the bathroom.

I shook my head and laughed a little before I situated myself on my bed.

The fun and games had to come to an end.

Time to get serious.

Man I didn't even know if Russ would answer my facetime. It could all just be for nothing.

But it was worth a try. I couldn't just do nothing.

I propped my back up against my wall and scrolled to Russ' name in my phone. I pressed the button to facetime and waited.

Immediatly Russ declined it.

I should have figured. He was stubborn. Almost as stubborn as Keagan. No wonder why I liked them. They were both pretty damn similar.

But just as I was about to put my phone away, Russ called me. No facetime. Just a call.

I answered with a "Hey man, how are you?"

"Did Liv send you to my rescue?"

I could hear a grumble to his voice. Did I wake him up? Was he beat so bad his throat was messed up? Geez what the fuck happened to him?

"Shut up. She cares. And so do I. So please, tell me what happened."

He chuckled.

"You don't care. Keep telling yourself you do, but you don't. Don't worry about it. Get back to your life Jamison. It's alright. I'm fine."

I furrowed my eyebrows. He had some nerve talking to me like this.

After all the ups and downs we've been through this was a little disheartnening.

"You're not fine. Unless you'd consider camping out in your room for days not speaking to anyone is fine. Which I think not. Look I understand it might not be easy to talk about. But I'm here for you whether you believe me or not. And I want you to know that I'd never judge you or anything like that. I'm on your side here. Just tell me what happened."

I heard him sigh, which meant he was finally going to cooperate.

"I don't want you to feel bad for me. I don't want pity or sympathy. That's why I hid out in my room. I didn't want anyone's 'I'm sorry's' or any shit. I just wanted to be left alone. And I was. Now I'm good-"

"Russ. What happened?"

Again he sighed.

"I basically messed with the wrong person. I was moving on with my life, trying to feel comfortable with myself. Dated around, whatever. Found this one guy that I thought was my other half. We got along great. But I guess his idea and my idea of our relationship were so far off. I went in for a kiss and got the living shit beat out of me. He literally flipped out and whaled on me for a solid 5 minutes. I couldn't do anything but hold my arms up to defend myself. He was arrested and everything but he only got probabtion and community service. But Jamison, like I said, I'm fine. I learned my lesson. I should have-"

Holy shit.

I wasn't expected that to be the reason. I felt terrible for thinking Russ started the fight. That his temper had something to do with it. Him putting himself out there got him beat. Tragic and heartbreaking.

"Russ this isn't your fault. What that asshole did to you was out of your control and he deserves a lot worse than he got. What happened to you is fucking aweful. And I am sorry. I don't care if you're tired of hearing it. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. No one deserves that. What... what were your injuries?"

I heard him taking a sip of something. Water probably.

"Fucker broke my nose. My arms are bruised. Lip is a little swollen. And a little cut by my eye. But it's fine. I'm recovering. My mom and dad know everything that happened. Livvie doesn't. I want it to stay that way. Can you promise you won't tell her?"

"He broke your nose? What the fuck is wrong with him that's so fucked up. Was he high? I don't understand how he could just lash out like that, and I don't even know the guy. Fuck."

"Relax. It'll be good as new in a few weeks. Might be a little crooked but that's why they invented plastic surgery."

He was making a joke?

How unlike him.

But at least he wasn't bitter about it. Or is hiding it very well.

Now I know why he didn't answer the facetime. He didn't want me to see the condition he's in. I don't blame him.

"But anyway. I took some pain meds earlier and they knock me out so... I'm gonna get going. Sorry I bitched you out. I just can't believe it you know?"

"Don't apologize. It's ok, I understand. I'm sorry Russ, really. I wish I could be there."

"It's fine. Just please don't tell Livvie. And we'll be all good. Deal?"

I stupidly nodded because he couldn't see me.

"Ok ok I won't say. But you should think about telling her yourself. It'll go better than you think. But take care of yourself and get rest. I'll talk to you in a few days to check up on you. Bye Russ."

"Bye Jamison."

I hung up and put my face in my hands.

Poor Russ.

I almost wished Keagan did hear all that.

Because he was never going to empathize with Russ, and I'd look like the bad guy for being nice to him.

But when he came out of the shower wearing nothing but a towel? I kinda sorta already forgave him in advance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay, I just got a full time job and life is crazy. Hope you all enjoy! We love you!!