Just Breathe

Chapter Four

“Good morning, Granny. Good morning, father and everyone,” Harry greeted walking into the conference room where his grandmother sat surrounded by her secretaries, his father with his secretary and his very own secretary.

“Good morning, Harry, congratulations on little Miss Arya,” Elizabeth said with a small smile. “Your father showed me a photo of her, she is beautiful. I do hope to meet her soon.”

“Thank you, Granny and of course, whenever you are available,” He responded taking a seat across from his father and next to his secretary.

“Your Royal Highness, you do understand that the current law states that a child born out of wedlock would not be titled upon its birth correct?” Elizabeth’s secretary, Michael, asked. Harry nodded folding his hands in front of him. “So you do understand that your daughter will receive no title due to this law.”

“Yes, I understand what the law states but it’s not like I can fix anything. Ellie passed giving birth to Arya, she will grow up with no mother and upon releasing a statement regarding her birth, which I am sure you will like to also discuss today, she will already have the public looking down at her. I am all she has, if she holds no title she will not be able to come to events with the family and I am not going to leave her behind while I go and down the line my wife and her brothers or sisters go. I cannot do that, I refuse,” Harry stated shaking his head. “Look, I am not asking that she be titled a ‘Princess’, I am willing to settle for ‘Lady’. I honestly do not care as long as she is given protection.”

Elizabeth cleared her throat gaining Harry’s attention. “Harry, I am sorry, but I cannot bestow Arya with a title, the current law forbids it and without a title she will not receive any protection.”

“But Granny she is my daughter. I know it’s the law but there has to be some sort of loop hole or…or I don’t know a special circumstance where you can look past what the law states,” He pressed. “You gave me permission to ask Ellie for her hand in marriage when we were still together. You liked her and this is our child. There has to be something, please Gran.”

Elizabeth looked sadly at her grandson. Her grandson, who always seemed to struggle to find his place in the world for such a long time, but with Ellie, he had seemed to find it. But after their break-up, a break-up no one in the family every commented on or spoke of, he had his off moment which was another moment the family chose to forget following the media breakout. And then there was Afghanistan. She didn’t want to send her grandson back there, but after the Vegas scandal she felt it was necessary. Upon Harry returning from war the family noticed a big change in him, it was as if he was trying to prove that he could change…that he was changed. Who he was trying to convince no one was quite sure, but most guessed Ellie.

When Charles approached her last week concerning the news of the new surprise family member, Elizabeth was beside herself. The grandmother that she was to Harry was happy for him and proud that he was taking this seriously, but also concerned about all the responsibilities being placed on him at once. But as the Queen…as the Queen it was much more stressful. She knew that her job was to uphold the laws and giving a title to a child that was born out of wedlock was one law she knew the public would not accept being broken.

So now, as she sat with her grandson next to her, his eyes pleading with her, she was torn. In the end though giving a title is not a grandmother’s job it was the Queen and as the Queen, she could not do it.

Shaking her head she answer, “I’m sorry Harry, I cannot. I understand what you are saying, and I see all your points, but as Queen I cannot give Arya a title as she was not born to wedded parents. Unless you plan to pay for the protection then she cannot receive that either.”

“But I am your grandson and that is your great-granddaughter! Do you not care about how the public will be surrounding her? Without a title she will not receive protection! Without protection should could get hurt? And about being left out of family events? Does that not matter? Whether she was born to unwed parents or not she is still a Windsor and she does not deserve to be left out of family events,” He argued, his face becoming red with the frustration and anger he felt.

“The public will not agree to having her there-“

“I do not give a shit what the public thinks! God dammit, we are family! That should come first!”

“I am also the Queen; I have a dual role of caring for the public and also the family, Henry. You have to understand that I am not sitting here today as your Granny, but as the Queen.”

Harry shook his head and stood. “If my daughter cannot be with me during public events with the family present then I will not be present as well. I am willing to step down and just be in the background.”

Charles gasped. “Henry, think about what you are saying. Think everything through, do not speak and make decisions with a hot head.”

Harry turned to his father, his face as red as his hair. “I’m finished with this for the day, nothing will get accomplished and I am without my daughter who needs the only parent she has.”

With that Harry pushed back his chair storming out of the room; the only sound behind him was the door slamming shut.

He heard her cries the moment he stepped up onto his brother and sister-in-laws doorstep. Harry tried to calm down before getting to his brother’s house, he even had the car circle around for a while, but when that didn’t work he gave up trying to calm down and just went to Will’s. And right now he was glad he did, his daughter needed him.

“Come on, William!” He muttered right before the door opened revealing Kate. Kate smiled faded upon seeing the red faced and unhappy look on her brother-in-laws face. With a quick and quiet ‘hello’ to Kate he walked quickly to where is brother was standing with Arya crying in his arms. Will noticed the look on his brother’s face and immediately could tell the meeting had not gone well.

“Daddy’s here, Ary. Shhh,” Harry whispered soothingly holding her against him while his hand rubbed her back in small circles. His lips kissed her forehead over and over again while her cries settled down to mere quiet sobs.

Will and Kate watched on as the man they had known for years calmed his daughter with the greatest of ease. Will was particularly watching the moment more fondly seeing that Arya wasn’t the only one becoming calm with the simple motions. Harry’s once red face was now just a pink around his cheeks and his posture was relaxed, he was relaxed and calm and Arya was the reason.

“So I’m guessing it didn’t go well,” Kate commented moments later as they sat on the sofa in the living room, Arya curled into a tiny ball on Harry’s chest sleeping contently with the sound of his heart.

“Nope,” Harry responded kissing Arya’s head as she let out a tiny squeak in her sleep. “She will not be titled and she will not have protection. She will grow up being the joke of the Royal Family and I am the reason why.”

Will narrowed his eyes and as much as he wished he could tell his brother he was wrong, unfortunately, he was mostly correct. His niece would be looked down upon, judged and talked about her entire life and it was all because she didn’t come from the traditional background expected of the royal family. But still, the stress it was adding to Harry, to have him feel such guilt was hurting Will.

“It ended a lot sooner than expected,” Will mentioned knowing that his hot headed brother was probably the person to end the meeting.

“I walked out. Well, stormed out really,” He responded with a small shrug.

Will raised an eyebrow. “And?”

Harry looked at his brother, their eyes locking and immediately Will saw it.

“You went that far?”

“What else am I supposed to do? Leave my daughter behind while I attend family events and then later with my wife and other children? Absolutely not.”

Kate looked between the brothers confused. “I’m sorry, but what is going on? Harry, what did you say?”

Harry looked at his sister-in-law and sighed. “That if Arya does not get a title and protection then I am stepping down from my position.”

“What? Will they let you?” Kate questioned her eyes wide.

Harry nodded. “If I chose that is what I want. It’ll cause quite the stir, but in the end it’s what needs to happen.”

Will sighed, he was right. Besides just giving in and leaving Arya out of family events, Harry stepping down was the only way he could make sure that she wouldn’t be left out. He just hoped that someone would do something before it would come to that.

“Are you hungry, Ary?” Harry asked later that night. Standing, Harry carried her into the kitchen warming up her bottle making sure it was the correct temperature before placing it at her lips. Walking into the living room Harry took a seat on the sofa watching Arya as she drank from the bottle.

“Listen Arya, things…things may get crazy soon for us. I know you don’t understand a word I am saying right now and you probably think I’ve gone completely mental, but I haven’t. Right now you are at your most innocent, you have no clue how the world works or anything about the royal family, the family you were born into…at least half anyway. There are a lot of rules and laws that we have to obey, to set an example for to public and honestly your daddy hasn’t been the best at doing that,” Harry shook his head. “I’ll have to explain the worst to you later in life, but for now I’ll keep you innocent. I can never apologize to you enough for you not having your mum around, I wish she was. She was an amazing person and while you have my ginger hair, your eyes are all her. I promise you that I will tell you all about her while you are growing, her and my mum, two amazing people.”

Harry paused, his eyes tearing up as he thought of the losses in his life but most of all the little girl in his arms that will soon be forced into the media scrutiny.

“I’m so sorry, Arya. I am so very sorry that to the public you will be a joke, but I promise I will protect you from everything I can. I will NEVER let anyone or anything hurt you. You are the most precious thing in my life…you ARE my life now. I am so, so sorry that because of me you will be forced into the spot light, that your every move will be watched and judged. But please, please remember that daddy loves you. I don’t know if that’s enough, but it’s all I have to offer you besides my protection,” He told her as she looked back up at him. Then, as if she was answering him in her own way, her fingers wrapped around his pinky causing him to smile through his tears and he knew everything would somehow end up working out.

The next morning, Harry was in the process of getting Arya dressed for the day or at least the morning when his phone rang.

“Who is that? Hmmm Miss Arya? Shall we find out?” He laughed as Arya just continued to gaze up at him with a blank stare. “Okay, let’s go.”

Picking a fully dressed baby into his arms, he made his way to his phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Harry.”

“Gran, good morning,” He said instantly feeling bad for snapping yesterday morning.

“Good morning. Harry, would you mind coming to see me today?”

“Of course not, Gran. I would have to find a babysitter for Arya, but I will come to see you.”

“Actually, I was wondering if you minded bringing Arya with you. I haven’t met her yet and I would very much like to,” Elizabeth stated causing a smile to break across his lips.

“Yes, of course. What time should I be there for?”

“Would you be able to be here in an hour?”

Harry eyed the clock seeing that it was 10 am and Arya wasn’t due for another feeding until at least noon. “Yes, that would work.”

“I’ll see you then. Goodbye,” She said waiting for Harry to respond before hanging up.

“Well, little one, I think we have to change your outfit unfortunately. We are going to go see your great-granny today,” Harry told the sleepy girl that was lying in his arms. Placing Arya into her bassinet, Harry got to work packing a bag for their trip before dressing her in a dress and sweater with little booties that looked like socks and shoes.

“Your Royal Highness and little Miss,” James, the butler, said with a bow of his head.

“Hello, James. How are you?” Harry responded with a smile having always liked James. “James, this is Arya.”

“Well, sir, thank you and Miss Arya, how lovely. Her Majesty will be meeting with you in her office,” James stated holding his arm out for the bag Harry was carrying while Harry carried the car seat that Arya sat in. Together the men walked to the office that wasn’t too far away from where Harry entered the building. “Your Majesty, His Royal Highness Prince Harry and Miss Arya.”

Placing the bag down near a nearby sofa, James left the room closing the doors as he went. Elizabeth stood with a smile walking over to where Harry stood after placing Arya and the car seat onto the sofa.

“Hello, Granny.”

“Hello, Harry. Thank you for coming and bringing Arya,” Elizabeth said looking into the car seat at the sleeping infant. “My, she is a beauty. I see she has your ginger hair.”

Harry laughed nodding. “She does, but she has Ellie’s big brown eyes.”

“Let’s sit and talk and perhaps I can hold my newest great-granddaughter.”

“Of course.”

Harry got to work unhooking the buckles that held Arya in the seat before lifting her and handing her to his grandmother. Together they sat side by side smiling as they looked Arya over.

“Gran, I am sorry for how I acted yesterday. It was uncalled for.”

“She’s a tiny one, your father was bigger than she is,” Elizabeth commented with a smile as she stroked a cheek staring at the content girl. “You know, Harry; family does in fact come first to me, it always has. I know that this was not expected and that Elora lost her life during the birth of Arya. You are right when you said I liked Elora, I did. She was a lovely person; it was hard to not like her. There are times that I am placed into a position where I must decide whether to act with my heart or with my knowledge of the laws. But sometimes, you really must do what is best for the family and hope that you are not upsetting too many people while doing so.”

Elizabeth looked up from Arya to where her grandson sat confused.

“I will make Arya, Lady Arya until you are married which then she will become a Princess; however, she will not be in line of succession. You will remain a Prince until you marry which you know will mean you will become a ‘Duke’. You were right, you cannot change that Elora is passed on but you can fight to keep her with you and protect her. So she will be given a title and protection immediately and a statement will be issued concerning her birth and the circumstances. Your father will discuss an interview with you and I advise that you go through with it. You are my grandson, Henry and I love you very much, but please cool off that hot head of yours.”

Smiling Harry nodded. “I’m trying to, Gran. Arya is helping a lot, aren’t you?”

As if she knew that things were turning around, Arya smiled her first true smile in her sleep causing laughter between Elizabeth and Harry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Before I get any messages concerning the current laws about illegitimate children and the royals, I am VERY well versed in what the laws and rules are. I know in real like Arya would NOT be given a title at all no matter the circumstances. But this is fan fiction and it's mine so I can put that she IS getting an honourable right now and then become a Princess following Harry's wedding where he becomes a Duke.

Thanks all!