Gray Castles

Two

A month later
Aria and Sherlock now left the door open when they were home because John would often stop by to see how they were doing and help with cases occasionally.
Sherlock had just finished a case with Aria's help and she'd made cookies to celebrate. They were eating them over another game of operation when Mary rushed in with six year old Hamish in tow.

"'Morning Mary." Aria greeted her with a smile. She opened her arms to Hamish who darted into them.
"Could you two watch Hamish for a little while? My friend Delilah is sick and John and I are going to see her."
"Of course! How long will you be out?"
"Oh, just a few days." Mary called over her shoulder, already out the door.

Aria sighed and kissed the little boy's dark hair.
"Ari, can we go to the cinema?"
"Only if your uncle agrees to accompany us." Hamish turned his big blue eyes on Sherlock.
"No, no. I can't, too much work to be done." He tried to weasel his way out of it, but Hamish wouldn't have it. He released Aria and tackled Sherlock, burying his face into the purple shirt. He started mumbling into the shirt, all his words muffled and incoherent.

"Come now, Hamish. I can't understand a word you're saying." Sherlock said, gently adjusting the boy in his arms so he could hear him.
"Pleaseeeee?" In the face of Hamish's puppy-dog eyes, Sherlock Holmes crumbled and sighed in defeat.
"Oh, all right." He grumbled.
Twenty minutes later, Aria, Sherlock, and Hamish were walking to the cinema just down the street. Hamish was in between them, holding their hands and skipping along happily.

"What do you want to see, love?" Aria asked Hamish. Before he could answer, Sherlock interrupted absentmindedly.
"I have no idea, I see no point in these things."
"Sherlock."
"Yes?"
"I was talking to Hamish."
"....Of course." His cheeks were slightly reddened. It was true, that since he'd met John, Sherlock Holmes had become more human, but the moment Detective Aria Gray got her claws in him, he became more of a man as well.
Hamish decided on the only animated film showing that day, and by the time the movie was over, Aria had fallen asleep leaning on Sherlock's shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
BONUS CHAPTER NEXT: Sherlock with baby Hamish!