Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five
The darkness of midnight appeared darker on this night than it did on any ordinary night. Sonny was gazing out the window, resting a hand on the windowsill. He tried to make out the shapes and objects, but failed. He looked up at where the moon should have been, only to see the silhouette of the dark clouds. Their edges were lit up by the light of the moon making a desperate attempt to be shown to the world.

Sonny was startled when he felt a pair of arms snake around his waist. He turned his upper body so he could meet Derek’s eyes. He then turned the rest of his body around, so they were face to face. A few houses down, a dog was barking as Sonny and Derek leaned into each other, resting their lips upon one another’s.

Derek friskily touched a hand to Sonny’s exposed manly hood, stroking it lightly. He went to kneel down, and I’m guessing that you understand what he had in mind, but Sonny placed his hands under Derek’s armpits, pulling him gently back to his feet.

“Derek, no, I-” Sonny began, before Derek touched a finger to Sonny’s lips, silencing him.

“You don’t have to explain, Sonny, I understand,” Derek replied, and Sonny wrapped his arms around Derek, as Derek rested his head on Sonny’s shoulder.

“Thanks for being so understanding,” Sonny smiled. That smile was one of the first real smiles he’d smiled in a while… excluding the times when Sonny and Derek were… alone…

A melodic tune rang in the quietness of the room, followed by a low vibrating sound. Sonny detached himself from Derek and walked evenly to Derek’s end table, where Sonny had his phone resting. He picked it up, answering with the age old “hello.”

At this hour, he was pretty sure he knew who it was. He didn’t want it to be, though.

“Sonny, I have some friends of yours here,” the voice rumbled. Sonny felt his hands begin to tremble.

“W-who?” he choked.

“Matthew and Jessica, who have recently been joined by Travis and Megan.” Chuckle.

“No…” Sonny said. He didn’t want to believe it. He wished with every fibre of his being for it to all go away, for it all to be just some terrible nightmare, all in his head, none of it real.

“Yes, Sonny. And if you ever want to see them alive again, I suggest you meet me in the alley on Milk Street in precisely thirty five minutes. And you better be alone. If you’re not I vow to murder each of your friends in front of you, slow, painful deaths. Then I’ll murder whoever the fuck you brought with you, and then you. Goodnight, Sonny. See you soon.” Beep. The man had hung up the phone, disconnecting the call.

“Who was that?” Derek asked, concern showing through his face.

“Just my mum,” Sonny lied quickly. “She wants me to go home now.”

“What? Sonny, it’s midnight.” Derek asked, confused now. “Besides, I didn’t think they got back till tomorrow.”

“They came home early. I should go,” Sonny said, gathering his clothes. He quickly pulled his boxers on, and his shirt over his head. He tugged on his jeans, and searched for his belt. After finding it, he quickly shoved it through the loops of his jeans and did it up.

“Do you want me to walk you?” Derek asked, gazing at Sonny’s now impassive face.

“No, I’ll be okay,” Sonny said, roughly shoving his cell into his pocket.

“Call me if you need anything,” Derek said before Sonny was out of Derek’s bedroom, making his way out of the house.

He quietly opened the front door, not wanting to awake any of the Bloom household, and was met by a gush of cold air, which whistled like a ghost into the house. Sonny quickly shut the door, and was left with nothing ahead of him but the cool night wind and darkness.

He pulled his phone out his pocket, checking the time. He only had half an hour to get to the other side of town. If he wanted to make it, he had to run. He forced his tired legs to move, quick, perhaps quicker than he’d ever run in his life. His feet pounded on the ground as he moved along.

If Sonny were at a school sports carnival, he would have won first prize in the running race. He made it across town in twenty minutes, and waited in the alley off Milk Street. He kept nervously glancing at the time until he couldn't help but stare at it, unable to take his eyes away. A wave of fear flowed through him as the time clicked over to 12:35 PM, the time the man said he had to be there.

And sure enough, when he looked up, he saw a man at the end of the lane, beckoning for him to approach. Sonny walked uneasily towards the man, not knowing what to expect. He just hoped he hadn’t made a terrible mistake.