Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine:
“Oh my god. I’ll be right there,” Jess said into the phone, flipping it shut.

“What’s happened?” Matt asked, wrapping an arm around Jess’ shoulders. He saw a tear run down her face, and wrapped his other arm around her, hugging her tightly.

“We have to go to the hospital. Sim… she’s fallen back into a coma…” Jess said quietly.

“Go get Travis and Megan,” Matt said, looking at Derek. Derek nodded and headed towards the bathroom, making sure to knock. It was a bathroom, they were both in there, who knows what they were doing. After cleaning themselves up, Travis and Megan joined Sonny, Derek, Matt and Jess in the kitchen/dining room, ready to leave. They had to catch two taxis to the hospital, because Travis, the only one of the six who owned a car, couldn’t get to his car, because it was still at his house, which was even further from town than Matt’s house.

Matt, Jess, and Megan caught the first taxi, leaving Sonny, Derek, and Travis to the second one. Matt, Jess, and Megan found Simone’s room, and walked inside. They saw Simone’s parents standing against the wall, both crying, and Simone’s younger brother and sister each sitting in a chair on the far side of the room, staring tearless at their sister’s body.

Megan walked over to Simone, her hand brushing lightly down Simone’s cold cheek. She watched her chest rise up and fall down, and took a seat in the chair closest to the hospital bed. Jess remained near the doorway, a few steps in from it, leaning into Matt’s tall, strong frame. Tears ran down her face, and when Megan turned her head around to look at her, Jess saw that Megan was crying too.

A few minutes later, the boys arrived (yes, I am aware that Matt is a boy too…) and joined the small, crowded hospital room. Travis walked over to Megan, resting his hands on her shoulders, massaging her shoulders and neck gently, soothingly, trying to calm her down, make her feel better, though he knew that a massage would hardly make her feel any better about her friend being in a coma. Sonny and Derek took up a position similar to Matt and Jess’, with Sonny leaning against Derek, not far from Matt and Jess. Derek held out a hand for Jess to hold, and she did so.

The amount of time is uncertain, though it was probably hours that the ten people remained in that room, watching Simone, whispering reassuring things to one another, though they really didn’t know if what they were saying could actually happen. They hoped it could though. By god they did.

The doctors had been busy. They’d said that Simone’s current condition wasn’t an immediate threat so they could tend to the emergency patients. No one really believed that it wasn’t an immediate threat, since the doctors had earlier said that if Simone didn’t wake up in 24 hours, she probably wouldn’t.

No one had had a chance to talk to the doctors to find out what it means if they wake up within that 24 hours but then fall back into a coma again.

The night rolled around, and the doctors said “Fuck off” to the six people who weren’t relatives of Simone. Of course, they said it a little nicer than “Fuck off,” but that was their general point.

The six were all in a state of both physical and mental exhaustion, none of them really knowing what to do. Since last night, they’d decided it was wise to stick together, so they all decided they should get home and get some rest.

Travis and Megan went to Travis’ house, and climbed straight into bed and into sleep, no fucking or anything. Neither of them expected to fall asleep, even though they were extremely tired (maybe because they were up most of last night fucking…), but they both fell quickly asleep into the land of nod.

Matt and Jess went back to Matt’s place. Jess couldn’t sleep. Matt stayed awake with her and tried to calm her down, make her sleepy, so she could get some more of that wonderful sleep.

Sonny and Derek were walking towards Sonny’s house. He hadn’t seen his family since last Monday, when they had left for the week long family vacation that he had decided he didn’t want to attend. It wasn’t just his direct family, it was his aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, the whole bunch. Can you really blame him for not wanting to go?

As they walked, Sonny began to wonder about what happened to that cat that was on his driveway. That dead cat, with the note and the knife. He hadn’t moved it, and he hadn’t been back at his house since. Maybe a kind and friendly and generous neighbour had moved it by now. Maybe it had begun to deteriorate. Maybe it was still there, and his parents had gotten a huge fright. Maybe the man behind the calls - and now the attempted rape too - had moved it himself after Sonny had found it. Maybe the man didn’t want the neighbours to get suspicious. Maybe he was a hell of a lot smarter than Sonny thought.

He forced the thoughts out of his mind, they were giving him the creeps. He reached for Derek’s hand. That always made him feel better. Derek always made him feel better.

“Derek, why is all this happening?” Sonny asked, a quizzical expression on his moonlit face.

“What do you mean, baby? So much is happening…”

“I know. I mean everything. Why is all this happening to us?”

“I don’t know Sonny, baby, but I know we’re gonna be okay.”

“I love you Derek.”

“I love you too Sonny,” Derek said. “More than words can say.”

They walked along, hand in hand with love ridden faces, heading in the direction of Sonny’s house. They just didn’t want to come across any nasty surprises on the way.