Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Seven:
Derek couldn’t believe the sight in front of him. It was a horrible sight. A horrible sight indeed. Sonny’s parents both lay still on the ground. Though, with bodies that torn apart, it was hard to imagine them ever moving at all.

Derek felt his hands begin to shake uncontrollably. He turned away quickly. The sight of Sonny’s parents, such nice people, brutally ripped apart by countless bullets, was too much.

A new wave of terror swept over Derek as he remembered why he’d come to Sonny’s place in the first place: to look for Sonny.

What if was he here? When it happened. What if he’s dead too! Oh God, no, I couldn’t live, I couldn’t go on, but… fuck no. He’s not in the kitchen though, like his… his… parents are. Derek, that doesn’t mean anything! He could be in the next room! He could be dead too!

Derek couldn’t stand just standing there anymore, just thinking. As another thought crossed his mind - What if the killer is still in the house? - he knew he had to move. And no, he wasn’t going to leave, run away down the street and never come back. He was going to search the house. Thoroughly, too. None of this look in the door for one second crap.

He slowly made his way through the house until he finally reached the last room of the house: Sonny’s bedroom. He’d purposely saved this one until last for two reasons, one: if Sonny were in there he wanted to make sure that the house was clear and safe - safe if you forget about the bodies for a minute - before he took Sonny out of there, and two: if Sonny had been… shot and killed… Derek thought that Sonny’s room was one of the likeliest places he would be… not that anyone gets to choose the place they’re violently murdered in.

He opened Sonny’s bedroom door slowly, possibly slower than he had ever opened a door before. He crept inside and looked around. He could see nothing abnormal. He breathed a short sigh of relief, though he knew he wasn’t completely out of the woods yet. He bent down and checked under the bed. Nothing. He checked the rest of the room before checking the wardrobe. But when he opened that wardrobe door, at first glance, he sighed the biggest sigh of relief yet. Though, on second glance, he wasn’t so sure that the sigh was called for.

Sonny looked up at Derek with frightened eyes. He was sitting on the floor in the wardrobe, his knees tucked tightly into his chest. Derek saw that tears were staining Sonny’s shirt, and were running down his face quickly. Derek knelt down immediately, so he was at Sonny’s level.

“Sonny…” Derek began quietly. His voice strengthened up, then, and he realised he had to take charge and be serious and strong. He could see that Sonny was shaking a lot worse than he was and his breathing was very fast. “What happened?”

Sonny took a deep breath… or at least, he tried to. It was shaky, his crying making it harder. “I… I… I came home and I went into my room. I was sitting on my bed for a few minutes… and then I heard screaming… I opened my door and ran down the stairs…” Tears flowed down his face even faster as Derek pulled Sonny closer to him. “I… saw a man… and a machine gun… and I heard bullets go off… I’d looked away by then. I ran up to my room and hid in here… I hoped that he hadn’t seen me… but he had…”

“Sonny… I’m so sorry. I never should have let you go. I shouldn’t have listened to my stupid mother. I should have kept you back at my place, with me,” Derek said softly.

“Derek… he followed me up here, after he k-killed my parents. He found me in the wardrobe and he… he…” Sonny broke down in tears then, and couldn’t finish his sentence.

“Sonny, what happened? What’d he do?” Derek asked, worried. Sonny simply shook his head, causing tears to fly off his face and onto the floor.

“He…” Sonny paused again before continuing in a whisper. “Tried to rape me.”