Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty Eight:
“He what?” Sonny looked down after looking Derek in the eyes. “Sonny… that’s terrible.” Derek saw that a fresh batch of tears were now streaming down Sonny’s face. “How did you… you know… not get… you know…?”

“He heard footsteps… you,” Sonny replied.

Derek couldn’t believe what was happening. His boyfriend was nearly raped - the second close call - and his dear, sweet, innocent (except for in the bedroom) boyfriend was crying hysterically after practically witnessing his parents’ murders.

He also couldn’t believe he, he, saved his boyfriend from being raped without even knowing it.

Talk about good timing. Good time in a bad situation, that is.

“Where did he go? How did he get out?” Derek asked.

“He went out my window. Climbed down the pipe, probably.” Sonny was calming down a bit now that Derek was there.

“I’m gonna kill that mother fucker! I’m gonna fuckin’ kill him, I swear! That fucker is goin’ down!” Derek screamed angrily.

“Derek… please, calm down. Yelling… it isn’t helping…”

“I’m sorry, Sonny Bunny,” Derek whispered. “Now, let’s get out of here.”

“B-but I don’t want to walk pass my… parents…?” Sonny cried quietly.

“If you close your eyes, I’ll lead you out passed the kitchen, through the backdoor. You won’t have to see… anything.”

Derek stood up and extended his hand to help Sonny up. They exited Sonny’s bedroom and began down the stairs. Sonny walked behind Derek, burying his head into his back. When they reached the bottom, Derek stopped, causing Sonny to stop, too.

“Keep your eyes closed and walk in front of me,” Derek instructed. Sonny obeyed and felt his way to the front of Derek. Derek wrapped his arms around Sonny’s waist and Sonny leant back into Derek.

Derek tried hard not to look as they passed the kitchen, pass Mr. and Mrs. Moore’s mangled bodies. Once the two were outside, Sonny broke into tears again. He fell to the ground in the backyard, the grass itching his exposed skin.

“Sonny, get up,” Derek said in a kind, calm tone. Sonny didn’t get up, just continued to sob and shake. “Come on, babe.” When Sonny remained on the ground still, Derek said, “Babe, we gotta go. That fucker could still be around here.” Sonny still didn’t get up, so Derek knelt down to Sonny’s level. “Babe…”

Sonny let his body fall into Derek, who nearly lost his balance. After making sure his balance was good again, Derek began to lightly stroke Sonny’s hair. Pet it, like a dog.

“Okay… I know. I’m coming,” Sonny said at last, in a weak voice.

With that, Sonny and Derek got up and walked quickly back to Derek’s place. They weren’t going in to the hospital now, to meet with Travis, Matt, Simone, and Jess. Things had happened, it was understandable. Not that Megan’s suicide wasn’t a big thing, it was huge. But so was this.

When they arrived at Derek’s, the first thing Derek did was call not the cops, but Matt and Travis. Something that Sonny had mentioned on the way over there had triggered something in his brain, something that could be the answer to a horrendous unasked question.