Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Forty Three

Chapter Forty Three:
Back in the mysterious warehouse, Travis was thinking.

I gotta make it out of here. Think, Travis, think. You have to find a way out. You have to do this. You have to save yourself. And Matt. And Jess.

Travis thought hard. He couldn’t think of something that would help save them. All the thinking he was doing was giving him a headache, so he decided to take a short break from the intense thinking. He thought of Simone.

If I don’t figure out a way to get out of here not only will I never get to see Simone again, but I’ll be somewhat responsible for the death of two other people. I don’t want that…

He nervously ran a hand through his dark hair, thinking deeply.

I’ve got to get out of here…

-Back at the hospital-

Simone slept soundly again. Her sleep was deep; the sound of another person entering the room did not wake her. The soft footsteps of the intruder echoed slightly, their sound bouncing off the walls of the room. They approached the machine that Simone was hooked up to, and fiddled with it. Simone flinched, but did not wake.

The person left, then, as if they were never there.

-Four hours later-

“Huhflankenhand.”

“Trav?”

“Huh? Yeah, I’m here.”

“You just talked gibberish,” Matt said.

“It’s early…”

“It’s night time. You dozed off.”

“Oh…” Travis thought. “How long have we been in here?”

“Too long,” Matt replied with a discouraged look.

A figure suddenly appeared out of the darkness, giving Matt and Travis a slight fright and startling Jess awake from her sleep that she had also fallen into.

“I thought you’d never come back... Look, buddy, I can see you don’t really dig us, but could we get some food over here?” Matt asked. His question was enhanced by a loud rumbling, grumbling sound of his stomach. “See? Hungry.” He pointed to his chest, signalling that he meant he was one hungry guy.

“I guess I could get you some food… if I decide to eat you after I kill you I don’t want you to be some skinny ass tall guy. They’re no tasty. The flavour, the texture, it’s all in the fat…”

“You’ve- you’ve-” Matt’s voice was shaky, and he had to pause for a moment to regain his ability to speak normally. “You’ve eaten a person before?”

“Sure have, buster.”

“How many?”

“Oh, I don’t know. I don’t keep count,” the man said with a wave of his hand, as if he were talking about something light that would come up in any everyday conversation, not about eating people. “Two, maybe three… Yes, three. I remember that girl last summer. Mmm, she tasted goo-ood. You see, I held her here for a while before I actually ate her. I fattened her up. She was a size eight when I caught her and when I finally killed her I’d gotten her up to a size fourteen.”

“You are sick,” Travis and Jess both added in at the same time.

“Ooh, simultaneously speaking. That is intriguing.”

“We have to get out of here,” Travis muttered to Matt and Jess, under his breath. He shook a strand of his dark hair out of his eyes, and it landed effortlessly behind his ear.

“Smooth,” the man commented, referring to Travis’ unintentional cool hair flick.

“Sure, sure,” Travis muttered.

“You are a gloomy bunch, aren’t you?”

He got no reply.

“You don’t have to be like this, you know. It’ll all be over soon.” He spoke the last sentence slowly. Too slowly. Eerily slowly.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Matt interrupted.

“Aw, again?”

Matt shrugged. “Yeah.”

“Okay…”

The man walked to Matt and untied him. He walked with his hand on his arm until they reached the bathroom, where he pushed Matt in and bolted the door behind him. This was exactly what Matt wanted. To be alone in the bathroom. With the man outside.

He was going to escape.

He rattled as quietly as he could on the window, yet with as much force as possible. He was trying to open the single window located up high in the bathroom.

Lucky he was tall.

He still couldn’t open it, though, so he took off his shirt and quickly balled it up into a ball. He put it against the window and reached up high to punch the glass out. The idea of the shirt was to make less noise and to avoid Matt getting cut. Neither of these things happened, to Matt’s relief.

He stood on the very tips of his toes and positioned his hands upon the window frame. With a great lurch, he pulled himself up, brushing the leftover pieces of glass out the window.

It was a drop to get down below. He was on the second floor. He didn’t want to jump, but knew he had to. He inhaled a deep breath to prepare himself, then jumped. He landed on the ground below with a thump. Luckily, it was grass he had landed on. In fact, on closer inspection, he realised he’d landed in a clump of bushes. The twigs jabbed restlessly at his arm and he hastily made to get out of the bushes.

He stood up, brushing himself off. He was proud of what he’d done, though he knew he still had a lot of work to do.

He still had to get Travis and Jess out.

And who’d have thought that Matt would have been the one to come up with a plan that just might work?