Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Forty Four

Chapter Forty Four:
“La la la la la, tra la li li li.”

Some people are born with a naturally beautiful singing voice. Some people aren’t.

“Tra la li li LA LA LA.”

If you hadn’t guessed already, this evil man didn’t have a good singing voice. It was dry and raspy sounding, and the words ringing off each other made you want to slit your own throat just so you didn’t have to listen to them anymore. Maybe that was a slight exaggeration. But then again, maybe it wasn’t.

He was teasing now, with the singing. The singing was just something that enhanced the experience of tickling a blade over someone’s bare chest. Travis was sweating despite the coolness of this said blade.

“Tra la la, ‘twill all be over soon, tra la la. This ugly man before me will be dead, la la. His blood will be on the floor, he le le, and I will be ha-ppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!”

There was a loud rap on the tall, strong warehouse door then, interrupting the man’s singing and teasing with the blade.

“Ack. I’ll be back,” the man promised Travis. Travis winced as the man thrust the blade into Travis’ stomach once before getting up, leaving the skin punctured and droplets of blood to spill out, staining the skin on Travis’ stomach red.

“Who goes there?” the man now spoke to the door.

“Pizza delivery man!”

“I didn’t order any pizza,” he grumbled.

“Sure you did!”

“Get lost.”

“Hey, buddy, hate to break it to ya, but there was an order! I have three large pizzas here, what do you expect me to do with them? I can’t explain this to the boss! He’ll go mental! Open up and take your pizzas!”

The man opened the door with one quick movement and it slammed against the thick warehouse wall. With a sour face, he said, “I didn’t order any goddamn pizzas!”

THUMP. The man hit the floor with a boom and Matt waltzed in.

“I think I could have a career as an actor, what do ya reckon?” He said, kicking the unconscious man aside. “Or a boxer.” He paused to admire his literal handiwork. “Tough fists, I must have. He has a thick head…”

“Matt, stop fooling around! He could wake up any second!” Jess said and Matt looked up from the man and over to Jess, then Travis.

“Oh, shit, what did he do to him?”

“Blade… ow,” Travis moaned as he tried to sit up.

“Let’s get out of here,” Matt said and moved a large hand to Travis’ shoulder, wrapping his arm around him to help him up.

“Hey… you need to put some pressure on that cut, stop it from bleeding,” Jess said.

“Right.” Matt grabbed a white sheet that was lying in the corner and balled it up. With horror, he realised that it wasn’t all white: it was speckled with blood. “Just gonna get more blood on it anyway…”

Matt tried hard to ignore the fact that someone else’s - who knew if they were still alive or not? - blood was on this sheet. He secured it around Travis’ stomach, making sure that it applied pressure to his cut to minimise the bleeding. He darted over to Jess, grabbing a sharp tool on the way. It looked to him like some sort of oddly shaped knife. Whatever it was, it would do.

He cut Jess’ ropes around her wrists and helped her up. Then he half ran half hopped (he’d hurt his foot a little when he’d jumped out the window) back over to Travis and helped him up. He put an arm around his shoulders to help him walk and Jess quickly made to do the same on Travis’ other side.

They hobbled over to the door and were precisely three steps outside when they heard a loud voice coming from behind them, “Hey!”

They turned to see that the man was standing again, his tall frame casting long shadows across the dirty, cemented floor of the warehouse.

“Don’t you wanna get your precious Sonny before you leave?”