Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Forty Eight:
“You look so cold,” came a voice. The owner of the voice was cloaked with shadows, as was the person he was talking to.

“I’m fine…”

“No, you’re not. We should take you to the hospital… just to check.”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Sonny.” The first man stepped into the light, revealing that he was, in fact, none other than Derek Bloom. “Listen to me. We should go there anyway… the others’ll probably be there.”

“Okay,” Sonny agreed with a feeble nod of his head.

“Good. This way, then.”

-At the hospital, an hour later-

“Why does it smell like salty peanuts in here?” Travis asked conversationally upon re-entering Simone’s room. “Wait - Derek! You’re here, man! Dude, I missed you so much!” Travis hopped up and down on the spot in excitement and leapt over to hug his dear, dear friend. “I thought you could be, well, you know, dead.”

“Well, I’m not.”

“Did you find Sonny? You must have, right? Because you’re here now! And if you hadn’t, you wouldn’t have come back, right? Right? Am I right? Tell me I’m right, oh please, I beg of you, laddie!”

“Excuse him,” said Jess, poking into the conversation, “but he thought it would be fun to drink way too many cups of coffee.”

“I drank seven in twenty minutes!” Travis yelled gleefully. His lips drooped as he said, “But I sculled them and it burnt my throat.”

Still pouting, he leant back into Derek for another hug. “I love you, man.” Travis made to sloppily kiss Derek - and on the lips, too - but Derek backed backwards a few steps away from Travis’ reach.

“Are you sure it wasn’t some kind of alcohol, not coffee?”

“Let’s just say Travis looked awfully suspicious in the corner downstairs, his hand in his pocket and his coffee lids off… I’d say you’re right on there, Derek.”

“I SAY QUACK QUACK QUACK!” Simone intercepted.

“HOOWWW IS SONNY, M’BOY?” Travis slurred loudly, making sure to be heard if Simone decided to scream out another strange sentence while he was speaking.

“Er, a little shaken up, but physically, he’s fine,” replied Derek.

“KAY KAY KAY that’s GOOOOD.”

“He’s definitely drunk,” said Jess. Derek nodded.

“DRUNKY MC DRUNK DRUNK! DRUNKY MC DRUNK DRUNK!” yelled Simone.

“Am I the only one getting a headache?” asked Jess.

“HEADCAKE, HEADCAKE, I’VE GOT A HEADCAKE!” said Simone.

“HEADCAKE? THERE’S NO SUCH THING, YOU FOOL!” came Travis’ slurred yell at Simone.

“Go see Sonny?” Derek offered, looking at Jess. She quickly nodded and followed him out of the room. Anywhere out of that room, at that time, was pretty much a paradise.

Or so they’d like to think…