Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Fifty

Okay... so I decided it was getting far too long so I chose to chop it in half.
And if you read my other story, Sorrow Swallows My Screams, which I don't think any of you guys do, but if you do, you will see two familiar characters pop up :P


Chapter Fifty:
“What?” Derek said, a confused look on his face. “Sonny, what are you doing here? You should be in bed, baby! What’s the problem? What’s wrong?” Derek added with a concerned, almost motherly tone.

“I thought that was obvious, with everything… Travis and Simone’s alcohol, Matt’s leg, and that guy - the text message guy…” Sonny said, his voice stilly a little dry. A shiver rippled carefully down his spine at the mention of the mysterious text message dry, and a moment later a matching shiver passed down Derek’s own spine.

“We should tell the cops…” said Jess.

“No. Bad idea. We don’t know shit about this guy. For all we know, he could be listening to us right now,” Derek said wisely.

Jess nodded gravely; Sonny’s face was impassive. Travis and Simone were being drunk idiots… though something just bothered Jess about this… Simone would never get drunk like this when she was in hospital, for God’s sake.

“Yeah… that brings me back to my next point,” Derek said. “Who do you guys think this dude is, anyway?”

Both Sonny and Jess were silent for a moment, though the silence wasn’t exactly the perfect word, considering the quacking and various other farm animal noises escaping Travis and Simone’s mouths.

“I have an idea,” said Jess, looking thoughtful. “But we’ll have to talk about that later because we have to do something about them.” She pointed a finger towards the crazy twosome and Travis noticed.

“HEY, DON’T POINT AT ME! IT’S RUDE, YA KNOW!”

“Yeah, sure. Like you know the meaning of rude,” Jess said. Travis looked confused. After a moment, he looked saddened.

“ARE YOU CALLING ME STUPID?” he yelled. No one replied. “Leave me alone, I’m drunk…” he mumbled.

“At least he’s finally admitted it,” Derek said to Sonny and Jess, then, to Travis: “Now you can venture down the road to recovery, bro!”

“Recovery? RECOVERY? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING, MAN? I LURVE ALCOHOOL. ALCYHOOL IS GREAAAAAT!”

“All righty then,” Derek said. “Travis, get out.”

Travis looked positively shocked. “OUT! NO WAY!”

“Come on, now, with me. With me? We’ll get you a nice hot cup of coffee.”

“WITH ALFOIL?”

“Whatever you say, buddy,” Derek said, placing a hand on Travis’ shoulder. He ushered him out of the room, Travis now showing signs of a sober man… a sober man who is a little crazy… okay, he was still drunk as hell.

“I’m guessing that means we handle her,” Jess said.

“Yeah. Let’s try and get her back into bed before we call the nurse, all right?” said Sonny.

Jess nodded and she and Sonny approached the duck-woman.

“Simone?” Jess said timidly.

“QUACK QUACK!”

“Simonnne?” Sonny said, but, to his misfortunate, got the same result as Jess.

“QUACK QUACK! QUAAACK!”

“Oh, forget it,” Sonny said, throwing his hands up in defeat. “Just call the nurse.”

Jess walked over to beside Simone’s bed and pressed the red call button. It let out a low buzz.

“That’s better,” Sonny said and forced a smile.

He wanted his Derek back. He’d been without him so long… he’d just got him back… then they’d been ripped apart because of the hospital… Sonny’d come to him… but now he’d left again.

He’s lost his parents… he’d lost his hope… he couldn’t possibly bare to lose Derek too.

The nurse arrived, dressed in white. She wore her blonde hair in one of those blue hairnets that prove to be so popular in hospitals. “What can I hel- My goodness! What is she doing!?”

“Being a duck,” Sonny replied coolly.

“How could you let her out of bed!?” The nurse exclaimed.

“Listen, lady, I don’t know you, but I kinda get the feeling that you’re not the kind of person who asks mindless questions over helping a patient,” Sonny said, a hint of rudeness towards the nurse evident in his smooth tone.

“Hmph,” the nurse said, sticking her nose high in the air and crossing over to Simone.

“Miss [last name]? Get up, come on. Back over to the bed.”

“Yeah, like we didn’t try that already,” Jess muttered to Sonny.

He licked one of his lip rings but didn’t reply.

-Meanwhile-

“Captain, we just got a call in about a house on Yellow Street. Neighbour hasn’t seen any movement for a day or two. No answer at the door - both cars in the driveway,” said the young officer who went by the last name Pritchard.

“Send an officer down there to check it out, just in case. Unlikely anything’s happened, though. I mean, Yellow Street - it’s a nice neighbourhood round there, you know?” the Captain replied, authority in his voice.

“Yeah. Well, me and Rapinett’ll check it out in a few. Once I get him off his fat, lazy ass, I mean.”

“Now, now, Pritchard. I know you don’t like Rapinett very much,” (Pritchard scoffed) “but he’s the only available officer right now, so you’ll have to deal with it.”

“With all do respect, sir, it’s been three months. You’d be a bit sick of him too, if you’d been his partner for three months.”

The Captain chuckled. “I can’t deny you that fact. Now run along, little one.”

Pritchard pouted. “I’m taller than you…”

“Yeah, but you got no meat on your bones. I’m muscly. Go on.”

Pritchard looked down at his long, lean body and considered it for a moment. He shrugged. “I’m still sexier.”

The Captain chuckled again. “Whatever you say, son, whatever you say.”

Pritchard smiled and walked off. This kind of conversation with the Captain was not rare; the Captain was a lifelong friend of Pritchard’s own father who had been in the force and died on the job. The Captain had been very good to Pritchard over the years and considered him the son he’d never had.

Pritchard walked out of the Captain’s office and strolled over to where Rapinett sat, munching happily on a chocolate donut.

“Rapinett, we gotta go,” Pritchard said.

“Go where?” A crumb of donut fell down and joined the collection that had formed on his dark blue uniformed hest.

“We have to check out a house. Come on.” Rapinett didn’t move, simply continued eating his donut. “Now,” Pritchard said forcefully.

Rapinett gave Pritchard that evil grin that he was so infamous for. “Let’s go, Pritchy,” Rapinett said in his thick Texan accent. He stood up and brushed the crumbs off his strong-built frame.

They exited, setting off in the police car.