Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty Two:
Nurses were crowded around Simone’s bed, enclosing her. The doctor was on his way. Something was wrong. According to the opinions of the nurses who had briefly examined Simone during the time that it took the doctor to arrive, they didn’t seem to think that it was alcohol after all. There was no trace of it on her breath - that was all they’d had time to find out yet, anyway.

She hadn’t brushed her teeth or had gum or anything to take the smell away… she couldn’t have without someone noticing her walking down the street to buy some gum or stealing some of someone else and, well, walking was still not her fine point and Sonny and Jess weren’t gone that long that she would have had time to clamber her way into the small bathroom, brush her teeth, and make her way back out.

So it was a mystery until the doctor came. And he did, a few minutes later. Sonny and Jess were ushered out of the room by a nurse to leave the doctor in peace to come to a conclusion.

-Two days later-

None of them had heard anything about Simone. No one would talk to any of them, not even Simone’s family. When they came for their daily visit they were told that she was sleeping both times. Sonny had constructed a very persuasive speech to try and get them to believe that Simone was in fact not sleeping, but all psycho, but they brushed him off like a piece dirt and claimed that the doctors made the conclusions, not him. He ended up making a scene and security took him outside for some ‘chill time’.

Now, they both sat, bored, in the waiting room for another few hours. Maybe in that time someone would say something.

-Meanwhile-

All sobered up again, Travis and Derek were at Simone’s house. Travis had lined up a little speech of his own, actually. The two strolled casually along the driveway and up to the porch where they found Simone’s parents sitting.

“Good morning, Sir, Ma’am,” Travis greeted cheerily.

“Good day,” Derek said, trying to play along with Travis’ extreme happiness.

“Travis! Derek! Sup my homies in the hood?” Simone’s dad said, flinging the hood of his hoodie over his head and making a gangster hand-arm gesture.

“Good, good!” Travis said with such a big smile on his face that it looked like it was about to split in two.

And then, Travis burst into his motivational speech that told them that their daughter was not sleeping. They didn’t believe him.

-Over back at the hospital…-

“Do you feel light-headed at all?” a doctor asked Simone.

“Nopey dopey!” she smiled… her smile was even bigger than Travis’ aforementioned one… whoa.

“Okay… and do you feel sick in the stomach at all?” he continued to question.

“La la la la la!” Simone sang. It was about the bazillionth time she’d used this reply.

“This just isn’t my day,” the doctor mumbled, but Simone heard.

“You think you’re having a bad day? I’m a Siamese twin joined at the hip to my brother. He is gay and is inviting his boyfriend over tonight. We only have one asshole,” Simone said, then burst out in an uncontrollable fit of laughter.

The doctor stared quizzically at her. After her fit of laughter had ended, she said to him, “What? You don’t get it? It’s a joke, silly brains! I don’t really have a twin joined to the hip! Ha ha ha can’t you see that? Silly, silly man!” And then the laughter started again. Another uncontrollable fit. The doctor traced his gaze to his clipboard and shook his head at her as he scribbled down a note in her file in his rushed, doctor, all-caps printing.

The doctor ceased movement at the end of his sentence. He spoke briskly, clearly, pointing to the machine Simone was hooked up to, “Nurse, run a test on the fluids in that machine.”