Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five:
“It’s fucking crazy!” Matt exclaimed, setting the newspaper down on his lap.

“I fucking know, man!” Travis replied, pacing soberly around Matt’s hospital room. “I need to see it again.”

Jess handed the newspaper to Travis from her position in the visitor’s chair beside Matt’s bed as he paced passed. Matt held a distressed hand over his face. Sonny sat silently in the second visitor’s chair, frowning out the small window across the room.

“We have to do something about this,” Travis announced, spinning the newspaper towards the end table. “We can’t just play the sitting ducks anymore. We can’t let this psycho do this to you, Sonny. Let’s face it, you’re not exactly the ad for happiness right now.”

“‘Not exactly the ad for happiness’, hey? Of course I’m not the fucking ad for happiness, Travis! My parents are dead! So is Megan! Matt’s been shot! I’m scared for all of you guyses fucking lives! I had to wear a wig and shades with a fake fucking moustache to get into a fucking hospital undetected!” Sonny yelled, agitated. He let his head collapse into his hands, defeated. “I just don’t know what to do.”

“We’ll beat this son of a bitch, Sonny. I know we will,” Travis said confidently. “I’m not gonna stop until he’s gone.”

And so Travis wouldn’t.

-Meanwhile-

Simone awoke in her hospital bed, feeling strange. She had the vacant feeling in her mind that she couldn’t remember anything that had happened in the last few days. It wasn’t like anything she’d ever felt before - she couldn’t remember anything, anything. Couldn’t remember sleeping, couldn’t remember eating, couldn’t remember talking, anything.

Just then, some people entered the room. She didn’t know when was the last time she had seen them. It was Travis and Sonny.

“What up, dawg?” Travis asked gangster-ly as he entered the room.

“Nothin,” Simone replied.

“Cool,” Travis said while Sonny took a seat. Travis hovered over Simone’s bed. “Jess wanted to come too, but Matt’s awake and he, er, insisted he not be left alone.”

“Got it. Have I been sleeping for a few days?” Simone asked, her memory not coming back to her.

For a reason unknown to her, Travis laughed. “Are you kidding? Well, I don’t remember much myself, spent a few days with the bottle, you see, but you were totally off your nutter. I mean, like, insannnne. Can’t you remember any of that? How’d you get the alcohol in here?”

“Travis, I don’t drink. What are you talking about? I can’t remember.” Simone scratched her head, as if trying to remember something.

“You were crazy. You had the nurses freaked out. No one knew what was up with you. I don’t know… are you better now?”

“Yeah, I feel refresh-”

“Shh.” Sonny silenced, holding a finger to his lips. Simone fell silent. Travis didn’t question Sonny.

Travis and Simone soon realised the reason that Sonny had silenced them. They heard voices, loud and clear enough with the silence of the room to make out what they were saying.

“J-J-J-J-Joseph, l-l-let’s n-not d-d-do th-this,” said the first voice, which belonged to a male.

“Jeff, shut the hell up. I know what I’m doing. I’m going to do this. Think of our careers!” said the second voice, also male, but more furious, more dominant.

“J-Jose-”

“NO, Jeff! Trust me on this one.” The second voice paused, then continued. “I am going to kill all those little punks who are hanging around Simone [last name], and it’s all going to be put down to a bad day. We’ll take care of the bodies real good. Hell, they won’t be found for another twenty years. By then they’ll never make the connection. We’ll have prospering careers.” There was a smile in his voice.

“B-b-but, I j-just d-don’t th-think-”

“I am not going to lose my career over this. I’m keeping my job. And I’m going to make a hell of a lot of money doing it, too.”

The voices ceased then. The room remained silent for a few minutes, everyone absorbing what they’d just heard. They were in a hell of a lot more danger than they’d anticipated.