Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Fifty Six

Chapter Fifty Six:
It was the dead of the night. Through the stony silence, Derek walked. His footsteps rang around him as he walked, the only sound spare the occasional loud TV and a cop car, lights flashing, alarm blaring, in the distance.

Then, Derek stopped suddenly. He thought he heard - nah. There was nothing. He kept on walking.

Feeling an icy breeze, Derek paused and mentally cursed at himself for not bringing his hoodie with him. His dark blue t-shirt would not suffice. He desperately wrapped his arms around his body in a vain attempt to warm himself. He began to walk again, but only got about a block until he stopped abruptly, spinning rapidly around. He knew he had not imagined hearing another set of footsteps this time, though he could not see anyone as far as his eyes could see. Then again, it was dark…

Feeling a tad nervous now, Derek quickened his pace to a power walk. But then, only about two blocks later, Derek heard the footsteps again! Possibilities raced through his mind. It could be a man - he assumed it was a man by the confident heavy-set steps - walking home from a late night shift at work. It could be a homeless person going for a night time wander. It could even be a mugger, a pick-pocket, a cheap criminal. Or it could be the psycho that had so cruelly disrupted Sonny and their lives lately.

Derek had the feeling that it was the latter that would be the truth.

He began to run towards his destination, still feeling that he was being followed. Nevertheless, he miraculously made it to Matt’s house unscathed.