Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven:
There were a few reasons why Matt’s house worked as the perfect base. First of all, there was only one door leading in and out of the place. Sure, it was a bit of a fire hazard, but ultimately, it was useful. Second of all, there was an alarm system in place that ensured that no unwanted visitors got in undetected. And thirdly, Matt’s parents were totally oblivious to anything that happened in their house.

Travis and Sonny crept to the front door of Matt’s house, standing opposite the alarm box. A tiny green light shone dully up above a keypad of numbers labelled 0-9. Travis pulled a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket and punched the code written on the paper into the keypad on the alarm box. The little green light switched automatically to red as Travis’ finger pulled away from the last digit. It was deactivated. Hell yeah.

With the alarm deactivated, Travis shoved the crumpled paper back into his jeans pocket and withdrew from it a silver key. He inserted it into the lock on the front door and slowly twisted it. He was satisfied as he heard it click quietly, meaning that he had successfully gained entry. Sonny close behind him, Travis opened the door slowly and stepped inside.

The noise coming from the TV told Sonny and Travis that Mr and Mrs Good were still awake. They could hear the soft murmuring of voices coming from the room, emitting from the mouths of Mr and Mrs Good - the voices on the TV were significantly louder.

Travis and Sonny travelled upstairs, not taking too much care to be quiet, as Mr and Mrs Good never, ever knew anyone was there. They entered Matt’s bedroom to find Derek folded up on one of the mattresses on the floor, reading one of Matt’s music magazines. Sonny ran over to Derek and pounced on him, enveloping him in a deep and passionate kiss.

“I don’t need to see this…” Travis muttered, retreating from the room and heading back downstairs for a glass of water.

Whilst descending the stairs the lack of noise alerted Travis to the fact that Mr and Mrs Good had gone to bed in the short period of time that he’d been away. He walked through the silent darkness of the night towards the kitchen, his movements malevolently piercing the stillness that now possessed the downstairs of the house.

He grabbed a glass from the side of the sink that held cutlery and crockery that had been washed, but not yet put away into the cupboards. He filled the glass with water from the tap and began to drink, gratefully letting each drop trickle down his throat, freedom from the parched feeling one gets when in need of liquid.

Travis, drinking, paused suddenly as he heard an odd creaking noise that sounded like the groaning hinge of an old door. He brushed it off quickly and thoroughly as Mr or Mrs Good shutting the door to their en-suite, or something of the like. Though he had thought it sounded closer…

Either way, Travis set the presently empty glass down in the sink and ran the water. It cascaded over the edges of the glass in chaotic ripples once the glass became too full to hold any more of the crystal-clear liquid.

But then, as Travis repositioned the clean glass in its original location, he heard the creaking noise again.

“What the hell is that?” he murmured.

FLASH!

A dark shape darted across his line of vision, a silhouette. A feeling of foreboding beginning to form within him, Travis took an apprehensive step forward, towards the doorway that the silhouette had flashed past.

Sure, it was probably just Derek (because Sonny was too short to fit the shape of the silhouette) playing a joke on him, but Travis had an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach that told him otherwise.

Then, as he walked past the front door, he noticed the indoor replica of the alarm box. A dull red light shone back at Travis as he stared at it. Fear pumped through his blood as he realised his and Sonny’s mistake.

“Boo.”