Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Fifty Nine

Chapter Fifty Nine:
“Oh, Travis, how nice it is to see you again.”

The man stepped into the doorway, looking just as Travis remembered him. He wore the same oversized hoodie with the hood pulled down far over his face, uncovering only his mouth. It was curved into an evil smirk.

“How are you?” asked the man, taking a step towards Travis.

Travis cringed, instinctively moving away from the man. He mentally cursed his and Sonny’s stupidity. To think that this psycho got in here just because they forgot to reset the alarm! It was so stupid, such a rookie mistake! They couldn’t afford to be rookies in a situation like this, look what had happened!

Travis didn’t answer the man, but started running escape plans over in his head. The front door was just a metre behind him, he could run to it, he could open it, he could flee…

But it was no good. Sonny and Derek were upstairs, and if he were to run away now, the man was sure to reach them. God knows what he would do to them when he found them.

“Come on, Travis. Common courtesy. Someone asks you a question,” said the man, taking yet another step towards Travis, “you answer it.” He drew a long, sharp knife from his pants. Obviously, he’d had it tucked down his side, hiding it down the side of his leg. It had possibly been looped into his belt, or something of the sorts. The knife was long, non-serrated. It curved slightly in the middle. Travis had a fleeting image of the man swiping the knife at Sonny and Derek’s heads, cutting them clean off, blood splattering morbidly against the walls of Mr and Mrs Good’s house.

Travis had no plan. Nothing was coming to mind. He could either stand here and be killed, leaving the man to roam the house at his will until he found his next victims, or he could make a run for it up the stairs and warn Sonny and Derek before the man got to them. That way, maybe they would have a chance.

Travis stepped sharply on this plan, however, as the thought occurred to him that perhaps, just maybe, the man didn’t know Sonny and Derek were there. Maybe he’d just taken a lucky guess that maybe someone would be here, and he’d just wipe them out because that’s what he liked to do. If that were true, and he ran upstairs for them, he would be putting them in their graves…

“How are young Sonny and Derek getting on up there? It’s been so long since I saw them last.” The man paused then, to laugh - a high-pitched, squeaky sound that didn’t appear to suit his profile, but incidentally made him sound even more psychotic than he already was. “Since I’ve talked to them, I mean. Of course. I see them all the time. You, too. And that Matthew child. Visited him lately? That looks like a d-awwwfuuul leg he got there.

“WHAT!? WHERE’M I?!”

Travis froze.