Violent Kisses and Violent Minds

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:
Travis received a surprise phone call. He picked up the phone. “Hello.”

“Hello Travis, it’s Simone.”

“Oh, hey Simone.”

“Travis, I know we’re not really close, but none of my other friends have cars… and yeah I am sucking up to you now... we kinda need a ride to school.”

“We?”

“Yeah, me and my friends Gillian and Megan.”

“Yeah, I can give you’s a lift. What’s your address?” Travis asked. Simone told him and fifteen minutes later he was at her place. He walked to her front door and knocked. He was greeted by the face of Megan.

“Travis. Um, Gillian’s just having a quick shower. She’ll be out in two minutes.” Megan explained.

“That’s ok.” Travis smiled.

“Do you want to come in, or…?” Megan offered.

“Okay.” Travis replied, walking into Simone’s home.

Travis entered the lounge room, where he took a seat on Simone’s comfortable lounge as Megan left the room and entered another. Simone appeared in the lounge room, taking a seat next to Travis.

“Morning Simone.” Travis greeted.

“Morning Travis. Thanks for coming.” Simone greeted in return.

Travis replied with a smile and a slight nod of his head. A few minutes later Gillian emerged, her hair still dripping a little. Megan arrived out only twenty-five seconds after Gillian, and they headed for the front door and left through it. Travis got up and walked out after them, as Simone locked up.

The two girls hopped in the car, Megan in the front and Gillian in the back, on Travis’ side. Travis got in the drivers seat and a minute later they were joined by Simone who sat in the back behind Megan.

They all talked a bit on the drive, and Travis inconspicuously looked at Megan many multiple times. At least he thought it was inconspicuous…

Derek and Sonny were at school now, after choosing to walk over getting beaten up on the bus. During the walk, Sonny told him what he needed to…

-Twenty minutes ago-

Derek held Sonny’s hand as they walked along the streets to school. They were walking in silence, until Sonny broke it with: “Derek, I should tell you something.”

“What is it?” Derek asked, keeping his tone casual, though he was fearful inside. There were so many possibilities, endless possibilities, of what this could be. Does he not like me anymore? Has he changed his mind? Does he want to break up with me? Derek’s mind processed about a thousand possibilities in the duration of about two seconds.

“Derek, yesterday afternoon, when I had that free class, I was walking along near one of them wild gardens near the school boundaries, and I swear I heard someone…” Sonny trailed off.

“What did they say?” Derek asked, concerned.

“Murder, pestilence, death. But whoever it was didn’t say it, more like hissed it. I dunno, it was a bit windy, and I could have been imagining it, but…” Sonny confessed.

“Sonny, I’m sure you weren’t imagining it.” Derek said, soothingly rubbing his thumb in circles against the back of Sonny’s hand.

“I don’t think I was. It’s just, this whole thing, it’s just so…” Sonny paused, looking for an appropriate word.

“Weird.” Derek finished.

“Yeah.” Sonny agreed, as they continued walking along.

-Skipping forward to lunch time, that day-

Derek could tell Sonny was worried. He had every right to be. None of it made sense. Derek hadn’t know what to tell Sonny, so he’d just said reassuring things and gently squeezed Sonny’s hand, rubbing his thumb in soothing circles.

Sonny, Derek and Matt sat under the tree together, eating lunch. Travis had been heading to the tree after getting his lunch, but was stopped by Simone. She took him somewhere private and talked to him.

“Travis, I need to talk to you.” Simone said once they were alone.

“Ok. What about?” He asked.

“Well, Travis, I’m not stupid. I saw you this morning in the car, looking at her. And yesterday when I started talking about her, you clearly became more into the conversation.” Simone said, straight out.

“How did you work that out?” Travis asked, after taking in what she’d said.

“I’m a genius, I know everything.” She joked. “Travis, I know you like her…” She got a tad more serious then.

“Yeah. But you can’t say anything to her, she wouldn’t like me like that…” Travis trailed off.

“Ok, well leave that to me. I won’t tell her, but I’m her friend, I’ll find out somehow for you.” She smiled.

“Hey! Sim!” One of the jocks called, approaching. Argh, the one from the bus, luckily, Derek and Sonny weren’t there.

“Hey Hutch.” Simone replied as he reached them.

“What are you talking to that loser for?” Hutch asked, glaring at Travis.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be over in a minute.” She said. Hutch walked away then, back to his other ‘cool’ friends.

“What was that all about?” Travis asked.

“Sorry, that’s just my boyfriend.” She answered.

“Hutcheson? You’re dating Hutcheson?” Travis questioned, in disbelief. I didn’t know someone so cool could have such a jerk as a boyfriend.Travis thought to himself. Of course, he wasn’t gonna say that out loud.

Simone shrugged. “Yeah.”

Travis was in disbelief as he walked back to the others.

Oh no.