Sequel: Angel Blue
Status: Finished! Sequel Angel Blue :)

Stray Heart

She's a rebel

Mike looks like Marley from Christmas Carol with the bandage tied around his head. He's fractured his jaw and is doing a fabulous fake pout, jutting his bottom lip out.
'Aw you look like Mr Bump.' I say, ruffling his hair.
'I feel like bloody Mr Bump. You promise me you're fine right? If there's anything wrong please, please tell me.' He says in a serious voice.
'I pwomise. Anyway we should get to school.' I groan, grabbing my bag.
'One minute I'm taking this stupid thing off, I only need it when I sleep.' He laughs, untying his bandage.

When we get to school we head into the home room hand in hand while everyone gawps, I'm not sure if it's at Mike's face or at the fact that we're going out.
When all of the fuss had finished, the head teacher comes in.

*Mike's POV*

'Mike, can I see you in my office please.' He says in his gruff voice. I kiss Nicola on the cheek and walk out of the room, slamming the door behind me.
'What?' I grunt, sitting down and putting my feet up on his desk. He coughs and I put my feet back down.
'Mike, no-one in the school has more detentions than you.' He says bluntly. Oh crap. 'What I'm trying to say is, if you carry on like this, then we're going to have to kick you out. You have until Christmas to get your act together.' He shoos me out of his office and I kick open the door to my first lesson, 10 minutes late.
'Sorry Mr Boren.' I mumble, going to sit next in my seat. Where the fuck do I sit? Oh yeah, I sit next to Nicola now! God bless Mr Boren, if he hadn't split Billie and I up then never would've met Nic!
'What was that about?' She whispers, putting her hand over mine.
'Basically if I don't buckle down I'm out. But they've threatened me that so many times.' I explain, and she nods, showing me the work that I missed. Ugh bloody A-levels. Being 17 is hard. At least I have Nicola here to make things easier. She's so great, like really, really great.

At the end of the lesson I head to music.
'Do you have a free period now?' I ask, and she looks at her timetable.
'Yeeep, I think so, why?' She returns.
'Tre, Billie and I are rehearsing and you can come chill if you want.' I offer and she smiles her beautiful smile. She comes with me and Tre wiggles his eyebrows.
'Well heeeello.' He says and I shoot him a look.
'Mike, do you want to practice that one that you sing?' Billie says, tuning his guitar. I nod and pick up my bass.

'He's at it again
And he's gonna win
Gonna take you for a hell ride anyway
He's on your side
Gonna throw you aside
And let the vultures pick apart what's left
Seems like everything was just a fraction of a second from being okay
So run and hide 'cause we're all gonna die
And let the vultures pick apart what's left
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
He's at it again
He's at it again
And it makes great television watching the world end
He's at it again
He's gonna win
Gonna take you for a joyride anyway
You're standing in line, better make up your mind
And let the bastard pick apart what's left of you
Seems like everything was just a fraction of a second from being a dream
So run and hide 'cause we're all gonna die
Let the government decide what's left
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
He's at it again
He's at it again
And it makes great television watching the world end
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
Walk around I see
Million possibilities
Well I know
Nowhere to go
And I can't comprehend
Things this real seems so pretend
I know...I don't know
But I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
And it makes great television watching the world end
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
I'll be back
And it makes great television watching the world end
I'll be back .'

Nicola is on her feet and clapping.
'Wooh! You guys are great!' She exclaims.
'Thanks.' We chorus and she giggles in that cute way she does a lot.
'You'll have to teach me bass one day.' She laughs.
'It's a deal.' I joke, and she blows a kiss at me, which I return.

On the way to maths I kiss Nicola goodbye as she goes to English, and I sit down in the classroom.
'Late again, Mr Pritchard.' Ms Ford says in a shrill voice.
'Terribly sorry.' I grunt, sitting down next to some girl called Charlotte.
'We're doing some triangle shit.' She says, and I look at the board.
'Miss I don't get it.' I shout, and she rolls her eyes and walks over.
'Have you even given it a go yet?' She sighs.
'Yes.' I lie.
'Well it isn't that hard.' She shouts and walks away.
'Thanks for nothing.' I groan, picking up my bag and walking out of the door.

*Nicola's POV*

'But Sir I wasn't swearing at you!' I steam.
'Out now or you get an after school detention.' Mr Warwickshire barks, pointing at the door.
'Oh for fucks sake!' I shout, slamming the door behind me. I storm into the corridor and down the stairs.
'Pst.' I hear, and I look around and can't help breaking into a smile.
'Hello you.' I say, sitting down next to Mike against the lockers.
'Why d'you get kicked out?' He asks, and I sigh.
'Because Mr Warwickshire is a twit.' I reply and he laughs.
'I agree with that one, so is Ms Ford.' He chuckles, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as I lean on him.
'Shouldn't you two be in class?' Miss Howard asks, walking past with a stack of books in her arms.
'Kicked out Miss.' We explain and she rolls her eyes, walking away.
'Do you want to just bunk off the rest of the day?' I offer, and Mike stands up, helping me up by offering his hand.
'God yes.' He laughs, and we head out of the doors.

Mike and I walk into my house.
'Hello?' I hear my Mum call.
'Mum!' I shout, running to her with Mike following, still holding onto my hand.
'What happened to you? I was so worried! I tried to call but you didn't pick up!' She panics and I give her a hug.
'It was Dad, he came in and got really angry. He's fractured Mike's jaw and tried to get to me but Mike stopped him. We ran and spent the night at Billie's after his Mum took us to the hospital. I left my phone here.' I explain as she calms down.
'As long as you're okay, both of you?' She asks and we nod to reassure her.
'Oh thank God. Shouldn't you be at school?' She says slightly disapprovingly.
'Well technically yes.' I say and she sighs. We hear a car pull up in the driveway and we all freeze.
'Go, hide. Now.' My Mum commands in a stern voice and we do so. I hop into the cupboard under the stairs followed by a heavily breathing Mike.

'Where is she?' Calls the voice of my Father.
'Who?' My Mum replies innocently.
'Don't play stupid with me. You know exactly who I mean, that little slut of yours.' He replies and I feel offended.
'I don't know, I haven't seen for a few days.' She lies and I hear a slap.
'Don't lie to me!' He shouts.
'Get off me Christopher!' She screeches and he roars.
'This is all your fault. You should've gotten rid of her when you had the chance.'
I gasp and Mike covers my mouth with his hand, holding me close to his chest.
'I regret nothing. I love that girl with all my hea-' I hear a bang.
'That's your own fault bitch.' Dad says and I hear the door slam shut. I fling open the door and jump out of the cupboard, running to my Mum's side.

'Mummy.' I whimper, crying as I hold her hand. She looks up at me.
'He may have been a mistake but you were the best thing that ever happened to me.' She strains, touching my face.
'Don't leave. Mum? Mum? No!' I wail. 'Mike! She's gone! She's gone.' I'm in hysterics as Mike pulls me away and holds me just like he did after my Dad attacked us. I dial 911 and ask for the Police. They're here within minutes. Asking for evidence. Mike and I tell them exactly what happened, and I give them the book of injury photos, as well as showing them Mike's jaw. I give them the most recent picture of my Dad and his license plate number and they immediately send out 4 officers to look for him.

I slump down onto Mike's lap on the sofa and wrap my arms around his neck, I lean my forehead against his chin and he kisses the top of my head. I think I'm all out of tears now, I'm dried up.
'We're gonna help you through this, me, Billie and Tre. I promise you.' He whispers into my ear.
'Thank you so much. I honestly don't deserve you.' I hollowly laugh back.

*Mike's POV - three days later*

'She's still completely distraught. I say we have us three rotating round to stay with her each night. Tre, you do Monday, Tuesday. Billie, you do Wednesday, Thursday, and I'll do Friday, Saturday and Sunday? She just needs some support, she was close with her Mum.' I explain to the lads and they nod.
'You really, really like her don't you?' Billie asks seriously.
'Yes, and I'm going to do everything I can to make this as easy as possible for her.' I reply and he smiles. 'All you have to do is make sure she's eating and sleeping etc.'
'Cool bro.' Tre says, flipping his drumsticks.

'Michael,' Mr Morton booms, 'Can I speak to you please?' I sigh and follow him out of the room.
'How can I help you?' I ask sarcastically.
'Three whole days without being told off?! I'm very impressed. I must've gotten through to you.' He sounds kind of smug.
'It wasn't down to you,' I snap, 'My girlfriend just lost her Mother, and I need to be there for her, not pissi- mucking about.' I correct myself.
'Well I'm impressed nonetheless. Who's the girl then?' He asks, wiggling his eyebrows.
'Nicola Spence.' I reply proudly.
'A girl like that bound to do you good. Got yourself a keeper there son.' He laughs and I frown.
'I don't 'have' her, I'm with her, she isn't property.' I snarl and he looks quite impressed.
'Well looks like you know how to treat a girl after all.' He chuckles, walking away. 'Keep up the good work Pritchard.'
I grumble something back at him and go back into the studio.

*Billie Joe's POV - after school*

'Go down Stablebridge Road and hers is number 17.' Mike says to me, going back to his house for the first time in a few days. I knock on the door when I arrive and it is opened by a tired looking Nicola.
'Hello.' She says bluntly.
'Hey, I will be with you Wednesdays and Thursdays until you're back on your feet.' I explain and she nods, giving a half hearted smile and walking away.
'Food's in the fridge, spare room upstairs and first room on the right, TV in there.' She says, pointing like an air hostess as she slumps down on the sofa. I join her, sitting on my hands. A key goes in the lock and she practically throws me to the space in the corner between the two sofas. She puts a hand over my mouth. The door goes again and she lets me go.
'What was that about?' I screech.
'Dad's looking for me, they haven't caught him yet but I have this buzzer thing to press every time he's here. I can't go to sleep or he'll come and get me in my sleep. The solution? Red Bull coffee.' She announces, holding up a mug. I can practically hear the caffeine.
'That can't be good for you.' I ponder and she laughs.
'Well I choose it any day over being attacked by my Dad in my sleep.' She replies and I nod, fair enough. She brings the cup to her lips and takes a sip and I notice something on her arm.
'What's that?' I swallow. She looks startled.
'Nothing.' She squeaks, pulling her arm away as I grab it lightly.
'Wh- why?' I choke.
'It was from years ago. I was only 12 and my Dad said that everything was my fault, everything that was going wrong. I was fat, I had no friends, I was ugly, doing crap at school, being bullied. I stopped when we moved over here.' She explains and I let go of her wrist. I hug her tightly. Bloody hell, I had no idea, she always seemed so happy. She's like, a walking contradiction.
'Y'know, Mike drinks a lot of coffee.' I remark and she laughs sincerely.
'I noticed haha, he's cleared the two tubs we had in the cupboard and he's only been here about 4 days.'
'You really, really like him don't you?' I ask and she smiles like a school girl.
'I really, really do. From the bottom of my heart.'
'He feels the same about you y'know.' I inform her and her eyes light up. My phone buzzes.
MIke: How's she getting on? Is she okay?? Cheers, Mike.
Me: I think she's really turned a corner. Got a new drink to introduce to you as well :P - BJ