‹ Prequel: Boston's Girl

Let Her Go

00

He watched as she sat curled in the fetal position. The monitors beside her bed slowly shutting off as the nurse unhooked them one by one. He never imagined he’d see her like this, in the state of utter depression, pushed so far that she hasn’t eaten or spoken in days.

“Hey Riles,” Brittany cooed. “Why don’t we get up? It’s time to leave sweetie.”

The dark circles that lined under her eyes seemed extra prominent with the sun that was peering through the blinds of the hospital windows. With dark swollen eyes, she glanced at him as he stood awkwardly in the corner of the room.

“I’m gonna go find a wheelchair. There’s no need for you to walk out of here with everything…” Brittany trailed off. She loved her best friend more than anything in the world, and seeing her in the state that she was in crushed her. But the tension was heavy and thick, and any time she could get to find a breath of fresh air she did.

He bounced on the balls of his feet, not knowing what to say. He felt almost guilty that it was his best friend that up and left, that didn’t even bother to tell his girlfriend that he was traded to a hockey team nearly 3000 miles away from a place he called home. He felt as if it was his fault his best friend didn’t even have the balls call her.

“I’m sure he’ll call soon,” Freddy said, awkwardly.

She looked at him with a weakened smile, “It’s been a week Fred. I don’t think he’s calling anytime soon.”

Riley stood from the bed that she hadn’t left in almost a week, since hearing the news about Tyler, to the awaiting wheelchair before her.

The ride to her apartment was silent, as the three trekked up the three flights of stairs to a place that was almost foreign to her. She turned the lock like she had never left, revealing the empty apartment.

She walked through the front threshold, to a place that had been untouched since she was taken out by the EMTs. She had known from the moment that Brittany told her that Tyler got traded, for her to know that he wasn’t coming back. But it wasn’t until she had walked around a place so empty that she had actually realized she was alone. Every moment that they had shared together played back in her head like a moment, causing a tear to slip slowly from her crystal blue eyes.

She swatted at it quickly, as her stomach growled letting her know that not eating in almost three days was catching up to her.

“I’m hungry,” she stated blatantly.

Brittany looked at her with excited eyes, “That’s good! You’ll be back to normal in no time. I’ll send Freddy out for some soup, does that sound good?”

Riley nodded hugging the sweater that was draped over her already small frame tugging at it closer to her deteriorating figure.

“Soup sounds good. I’ll be back in twenty minutes.”

Freddy left the apartment with the click of the door behind him. He noticed that he hadn’t checked his phone in a few hours, and for the sake of Riley prayed for text from her pussy of a boyfriend.

With a few clicks on his touch screen he by passed by the couple text messages from his buddies, knowing that they would be asking him what the game plan for the night would be.

He noticed that he had a few missed calls from his mother, and one from Tyler.

Anxiously he tapped on the screen lighting up the voicemail that was left behind.

His voice rang through the receiver, angering Freddy the moment he heard his voice.

“Hey Fred its me. Uh, just wanted to let you know alright and I’m having my stuff shipped from the apartment down here, the movers will be there tomorrow. I guess I’ll talk to yah.”

It was so simple, and nonchalant but his voice made Freddy want to punch a wall.