Status: I haven't touched this story in a while, hopefully I'll get back to writing it.

Little Time Left

Chapter 2

Within a few days, it was almost positive that Alex was infected. I blamed it all on myself.

“I shouldn’t have let him go out.” I silently cursed myself for being so stupid. My poor Alex was getting sicker by the minute, and you could definitely see it. His skin was cracked and peeling, especially around his knuckles and under his eyes. Moisturizing creams weren’t working, and, if anything, only succeeded in making his skin break out in a rash. He also complained about his legs and arms hurting, even if he had only walked down the stairs or tuned the radio.

Naturally, I had to be there for him. I tried to coo to him that it would be alright, despite us both knowing it wouldn’t.

He always looked so dejected, though. He had this distant look in his eyes and he almost never moved from bed. He didn't want to touch me, either. That part stung a bit, but I suppose I understand why.

"Jack?" He called me one night from the floor beside the bed. Because I insisted I would sleep in bed with him, he decided to sleep on the ground. It was only because he didn't want to "give" me what he's contracted.

"Hm?" I bookmarked the page I was reading in my book before setting it on the nightstand.

"I'm going to leave tomorrow."

"What?!" I sat up straight, looking at him. His hair was messy from laying down and tears painted his face.

"I'm putting you at risk, Jack." He watched me with pleading eyes. "I'm going to get you sick. I need to leave."

"No, no, no, Alex." I threw the twisted blankets off my body and crawled onto the floor beside him. I reached out to gingerly touch his arm, but he shrank away.

"You can't leave me, Alex, please. Where would you go? I need you with me, or you'll die out there!"

"I'll die in here too, Jay." He said softly, dropping his gaze to the quilted duvet under him. "And I'll probably kill you..."

I felt my heart shatter in my chest. "No," I protested. “No, baby, they’ll come out with a cure before you’re…” I trailed off, not wanting to say that last word.

Dead.

Alex seemed to understand though. But that didn’t stop him from wanting to leave. We argued all night about it until he huffed out a “Goodnight,” and laid back down.

I stayed awake that whole night. Just thinking.

What runs through a person's head when they know they're going to die?
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy heatwave batman I was on the verge of tears trying to write this. I apologize if it's short. And wow, 3 subscribers already?! Thank you so much!