Sequel: The New World 2
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World

Ch.6

It had been a long night for the group. Sabrina found Morgan's body and drug her to the other corpses. The group had to puncture every brain before the dead rose up again. Sabrina decided to stab Morgan in the back of the head so if Ana saw her before she was buried she wouldn't have to see another wound. The group was trying to get over it but one person was having a really hard time, Andrea. She felt sorry for Andrea, losing your only family member is difficult to handle sometimes. Dale brought a white sheet over to Sabrina and helped her wrap Morgan in it.

"Thanks Dale." She said softly.

"It's no problem Sabrina. How'a holding up?"

"I'll be fine. How's Andrea?" She asked sighing.

"She's not taking it too well. She hasn't moved since her sister took her last breath."

"Mommy?"

Turning around Sabrina saw Ana rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"I'm right here baby."

"I'll let you two be, I think we're going to be doing a quick memorial service."

"Thanks Dale."

Sabrina went to Ana and picked her up. "Did you sleep ok?"

"Yeah."

"That's good."

"Um Ana. Sabrina?" She turned around and saw Carl standing there.

"Yes Carl?" Sabrina asked.

"Can Ana come play with me and the Morales kids?"

"I don't mind, Ana do you want to?"

"Sure.

Sabrina put Ana down and she went with Carl to play with the others. Sabrina went to pay her respects to Amy then went to the where the campfire was set up and sat down. Soon after Glenn, Daryl and T-Dog started burning bodies.

"She still won't move?" Rick asked from behind Lori and Sabrina.

"She's been there all night. What do we do?"

"Can't just leave Amy like that. We need to deal with it, same as the others." Shane said softly, due to exhaustion.

"I'll tell her how it is."

"Rick I wouldn't do that if I were you. She just lost someone that she loved. What would you do if I came up to you telling you that we need to stab your loved one in the head?"

"I'd get mad but I'd do it though."

"Exactly. Let Andrea be, I'm sure she'll take care of it once she's done."

"I'll just remind her." Rick said going over to Andrea.

She's got a loaded gun Rick!

The only thing that got out of his mouth before Andrea aimed the gun was her name. Shane jumped up to help Rick out but Sabrina stopped him by saying, "She's not going to do anything Shane."

"How would you know?"

"Because if she was going to shoot him she'd done it by now, dumbass."

Rick started to back up slowly and she lowered her weapon then went back to mourning. Glenn, T-Dog and Daryl went over to the seating area to take a break.

"Ya'll can't be serious. Let that girl hamstring us." Daryl said softly, which surprised Sabrina. Who knew Daryl could talk softly? "That girl's a time bomb."

"What do you suggest?" Rick asked.

"Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here. Hell I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."

"No. For God's sakes, let her be." Lori said.

"Lori's right. When Amy turns Andrea will put her down." Sabrina said annoyed.

"How'd ya know?"

"I just know ok."

"Whatever shorty." Daryl scoffed and walked away.

"You know, you're lucky Shane doesn't have his gun right now or I'd shoot you for calling me that!"

"I'd love to see ya try...shorty." He said from over his shoulder while walking.

"Easy Rina." Shane said. "I know you hate the redneck as much as I do but we need him."

Glenn let out a snort and Sabrina shot him a glare. "I guess I need to finish with the bodies." He said and quickly took off.

Shane went to the quarry, Rick sat down next to Lori, Carol sat down next to Sabrina and Dale went back to his RV.

"Shorty? What's all that about?" Lori asked her with amusement laced in her voice.

"It's nothing."

"That's not how I remember it. I thought you said you punched his brother." Rick said.

"I did and I told Daryl and he insulted my height."

"So he's calling you shorty just to get under your skin?" Carol asked.

"Yeah. And it's working."

A few minutes of chatter went by until the girls heard Glenn having a fit about Daryl and Morales moving a dead body towards the fire.

"Our people go over there. We don't burn them! We bury them. Understand? Our people go in that row over there."

Daryl finally complied and him and Morales drug the body to the row of bodies.

"Ya reap what ya sow."

"You know what? Shut up, man."

Daryl let go of the body and started walking away while yelling, "Y'all lef' my bother for dead! Ya had this comin'!"

Sabrina sighed while shaking her head.

Can we have one day where he's not an ass. Just ONE!

"I think I'm going to check up on the kids." Carol said timidly.

Shane came back up from the quarry and sat down in Carol's spot, next to Sabrina and rested his arm behind her.

"A little birdie told me a certain redneck calls you shorty. You two got somethin' going on?" He asked with a hint of jealousy.

"No Shane, he's just trying to get under my skin for punching his-"

"A walker got him. A walker bit Jim." Jacqui said freaking out.

Everyone started circling around Jim, including Sabrina. "I'm okay. I'm okay."

"Show it to us. Show it to us." Daryl commanded.

Jim got into defense mode and picked up a shovel.

"Easy, Jim." Shane said.

"Somebody do something." Sabrina said a little panicked. With Sabrina being about 5'3 with no tackling experience with someone that had a weapon, she have no chance.

"Grab 'im." Daryl said to Shane.

"Jim, put it down. Put it down." Shane said in his officer authority voice.

Then T-Dog tackled Jim down when he was focused on the people in front of him. Jim started repeating that he was ok while Daryl checked Jim's left side. And plain as day there was a bite mark. Once it was confirmed everybody started to back away from him slowly.

"Mommy?" Ana said from the stairs of the RV.

"What is it baby?" She asked turning to Ana.

"Can we all go down to the water?"

She looked over to Shane as he sat Jim down behind the RV and he gave her a slight shake of his head before joining the others in a circle.

"Wait a few more minutes then someone will take you guys down there ok?"

"Ok." She said going back into the RV.

Sabrina went to the circle and stood where the only spot left was, next to Daryl.

"I saw we put a pickaxe in his head and the dead girl's and be done with it." Daryl said quietly.

That's a little rude.

"Is that what you'd want if it were you?" Shane snapped.

"Yeah, and I'd thank ya while ya did it."

"I hate to say it-I never thought I would-but maybe Daryl's right." Dale said agreeing to Daryl's suggestion.

"Jim's not a monster, Dale, or some rabid dog." Rick stated.

"I'm not suggesting-"

"He's sick. A sick man. We start down that road, where do we draw the line?" Rick ranted.

"The line's pretty clear. Zero tolerance for walkers, or them ta be." Daryl interjected.

"What if we can get him help? I heard the CDC was working on a cure."

"I heard that too. Heard a lot of things before the world went to hell." Shane said.

"Do you think Jim could make it that far with the condition he's in?" Sabrina asked.

"I don't know Rina. But what if the CDC is still up and running?"

"Man, that is a stretch right there."

"Why?" Rick questioned Shane. "If there's any government left, any structure at all, they'd protect the CDC at all costs, wouldn't they? I think it's our best shot. Shelter, protection-"

"You said a key word Rick, if." She stated.

"Okay, Rick, you want those things, alright? I do too, okay? Now if they exist, they're at the army base. Fort Benning."

"That is one hundred miles in the opposite direction." Lori said.

"That is right. But it's away from the hot zone. Now listen to me. If that place is operational, it'll be heavily armed. We'd be safe there."

"The military were on the front lines of this thing. They got overrun. We've all seen that. The CDC is our best choice and Jim's only chance."

Sabrina watched Daryl turn and look at Jim. "Daryl don't even think about it." She said through clenched teeth.

He just glared at her then turned towards Rick and said, "Ya go looking for aspirin, do what ya need to do. Someone needs ta have some balls ta take care of this damn problem!" Daryl yelled charging at Jim.

Sabrina stepped in his way and Rick put a gun to Daryl's head while taking the safety off while Shane came and stood next to her.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!"

"Back off Dixon!" She growled.

"We don't kill the living." Rick said.

"That's funny comin' from a man who just put a gun ta my head." Daryl said putting his weapon at his side.

"We may disagree on some things, not on this. You put it down. Go on."

"Daryl, you need to go cool off. Go in the woods for a little or something" Sabrina said calmly.

Daryl stabbed his shovel in the dirt and left.

"Come with me."

"Where are you taking me?" Jim said with panic.

"Somewhere safe." Rick told Jim.

Sabrina got the kids out of the RV and headed to the quarry with them so Jim could have some peace. While the kids were splashing each other to get cooled off Sabrina took off her tennis shoes and dunked her feet into the refreshing cool water. Twenty minutes or so passed until she heard someone yell from the top of the hill, "Let's go! We got buryin' ta do!"

Sabrina took her feet out of the water and called the kids to come along. While they hiked back up the hill they heard a gunshot.

"Those things aren't back are they?" The Morales's daughter asked scared.

"No. They're not back, I promise."

Once they made up to the camp Sabrina found the cause of the gunshot, Andrea shot Amy. Everyone went to the burying site to put our people into their graves. While everybody silently paid their respects Andrea put her sister in the ground and Dale wanted to help her but she refused his help. Ana turned around and buried her head into her mother's stomach and cried softly while Sabrina rubbed Ana's hair soothingly. Once the memorial service was over everyone went back to the campsite. Sabrina sat down and Ana laid her head on her mother's lap.

"You alright Ana?" Shane asked softly kneeling in front of Ana.

"Will the world ever get better?" She asked looking at Shane.

"I promise you it'll get better. It's just going to take some time, you'll see."

"I think we're going to go lay down, she seems tired."

"Alright. You get some sleep kiddo." Shane said ruffling her hair then getting up.

Sabrina picked Ana up and held her tightly as she walked them to the tents. On her way to the tents from the corner of her eye she saw Daryl staring at her.

Wonder what he's thinking about?

She put Ana down on her cot and laid next to Ana, they were out like a light.