Status: slow updates

It's You

Start of Something New

October 9, 2000

"I know that something has changed
Never felt this way
And right here tonight
This could be the start
Of something new
It feels so right
To be here with you
And now looking in your eyes
I feel in my heart
The start of something new"
-Start of Something New
Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens

I woke up earlier than usual even though there was no school today. It was Thanksgiving. I got dressed and grabbed an apple before heading out the door for a run. I didn't get very far though.

"You're up early." I looked to my right. It was that Eric kid from yesterday.

"So are you." I say and take a bite out of my apple.

He held up his skates. He was sharpening them. I nod. The door behind him opens and another boy, probably his brother, sticks his head out the door and yells, "Eric! Food's ready!" and runs back in.

Eric stands up and looks over at me. "Do you wanna eat?"

I shake my head. "I don't want to intrude." With perfect timing, my stomach growls and my cheeks heat up.

He laughs. "Come on." I laugh too and walk in his house.

"Hey guys, this is Aria Rose. She's our new neighbour." Eric introduced me to his family. "Aria, this is my mom and dad, Linda and Henry, and my brothers, Marc, Jordan, and Jared."

My eyes swept across the room. I was overwhelmed by the amount of people under a roof. I muttered hellos to everyone as we all sat down at the table. Throughout breakfast, they asked me questions, making me feel comfortable, and Mr. Staal telling us funny stories about his sons.

"Thank, you for having me over, Mr. and Mrs. Staal. The food was delicious." I say, politely.

"No need to be formal, honey. Call me Linda." Eric's mom replied and I smiled at her. "Eric, go take your brothers and Aria out and enjoy the sun while it lasts." She ushered us out of the house. I don't blame her. It must be crazy to be the only girl in a house full of boys.

Eric leads the four of us out the door and to a park nearby where a bunch of people my age were sitting around.

"So you're a singer?" One of Eric's brothers, Jordan I think, asks me.

"Yup." I reply.

"You're hot." Another brother, Marc, says bluntly.

"Ok, boys, time for you to go and don't bother us." Eric says, shooing them away as he leads us to the group. “Sorry about that.” He laughs. “Marc’s always been the one who’s not afraid to say anything.”

I laugh. “It’s ok.”

I don't recognize most of the people in the group except a few like Brooke, Allison, Courtney, as well as a few people that I don't know the names of. I took a seat next to Brooke and she starts to rant to me about something but I’m not really listening.

“Does everyone come to this park?” I ask Brooke. She nods.

“Pretty much.”

I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn my head around and Jared is standing behind me. “Can you take me home? I’m not allowed to cross the road by myself and no one else would take me.” He looks embarrassed, knowing that everyone heard.

“Sure.” I smile. As we’re walking away, I glance at Eric who is giving me an apologetic look. I just smile.

“So Jared, how old are you?” I ask, making conversation.

“11.” He replies.

"What's it like living with three brothers?" I ask because I really am curious.

"Terrible." He laughs. "And being the youngest sucks too." I laugh, too.

"At least you have siblings. I'm an only child."

"You can have my brothers." He grins.

We arrive at his house and he asks me if I wanna watch a movie and I agree. About halfway through the movie, I hear a door open and many voices fill the room. The other three brothers sit with us in the living room and watch the movie with us.

"Hey, sorry about my brother." Eric whispers to me from next to me on the couch.

"It's ok. Your brother's cute." I smile.

"We should get away from these losers." He says and gets up, motioning me to follow. He leads me to the deck where there's a table and chairs. We sit in silence.

"So how do you like Thunder Bay?" He asks after a few minutes.

"It's nice. A lot different from Toronto but I like it. It's really peaceful." I say, looking at the large rink in his backyard. "You've lived here your whole life?"

He nodded. Silence fell over us again. It wasn't awkward, just comfortable. I took in the sight. The rink, Eric's family, Thunder Bay. Maybe it won't be so bad here.

"Brown." His voice startles me. I look over. I raise my eyebrow. "I always thought your eyes were green."

"Everybody's waiting
Everybody's watching
Even when you're sleeping
Keep your ey-eyes open
The tricky thing
Is yesterday we were just children
Playing soldiers
Just pretending
Dreaming dreams with happy endings
In backyards, winning battles with our wooden swords
But now we've stepped into a cruel world
Where everybody stands and keeps score."

I sing slowly, my eyes closed, which I thought was ironic since I just came up with lyrics talking about keeping my eyes open. I don't know. One moment I was looking out into the field in front of me and the next, his words hit me and I sing before I can stop myself.

I look up at Eric, who has a shocked expression on his face. I blush. "Sorry. I couldn't stop myself."

He blinks. "That was..." He pauses, thinking of a word. "Beautiful." He smiles. "Did you just come up with that?"

I nod. "Yeah. Lyrics come to me at the most random times."

"That's amazing." He says, surprised. We just stare at each other.

The door slides open and we break our stare. Linda is standing at the door with a bowl of strawberries in hand.

"I thought you guys might be hungry." She puts the bowl down on the table. She looks at the both of us.

"Thanks, mom." Eric says.

"Thanks." I reply politely.

After she leaves, I grab a strawberry and take a bite. Eric is still looking at me.

"What?"

He leans over and wipes his thumb over my cheek, rubbing away some juice from the strawberry. I blush and look down.

"Thanks." I mumble.

His hand doesn’t move from my face and he continues to stare at me. I will myself not to look up but his intense stare makes me. I look into his chocolate brown eyes. He looks like he's contemplating something. His eyes look down to my lips. My heart starts to race. I prepare myself for what's going to happen.

"I should go." I stand up.

Eric looks startled but nods. I walk quickly around his house to mine, trying to find an answer to why I left. I couldn't convince myself that I shouldn't kiss him.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the long wait! here's an eric/aria chapter! :)