Can You Fix the Broken?

Ch 2

Jack ran to his locker, desperate to put some space between him and that intoxicating boy. He sat so close and he actually talked to Jack. No one gave him a second glance and he liked it that way. He put a lot of distance between himself and most of the people he grew up with. So why should this new guy be any different?

He opened his locker and put his head in taking deep breaths. He returned his Chem book and grabbed his English Anthology. He was still trying to steady his breathing when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He jumped and pushed away from the wall. Jack turned and saw that it was that boy, Alex. Fuck.

Alex's smile faltered in response to Jack's reaction. He held up his hands in surrender and gave him space.

"Hey man sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Jack just stared with wide frightened eyes. Alex shifted uncomfortably under his stare.

"I was just um...um wondering...if maybe you wanted to eat lunch...with me?"

Jack blinked and before he could open his mouth to respond, a average built kid with a buzzed head and mega-watt smile came bounding up to them. He took in Jack's posture and Alex's hands and he glared. He stepped protectively in front of Jack and sized up Alex. The glare continued.

"Whats going on here?"

Alex stuttered at the venom in his voice, "N-nothing. I-I was j-just inviting Jack to l-lunch."

The guy's glare seemed to soften. "Oh. Well I'm Rian and you're welcome to have lunch with us."

Alex smiled and looked to Jack, "You cool with that Jack?"

Jack swallowed and gave a slight nod. Alex closed Jack's locker and skipped down the hall next to them.

"Oh I'm Alex by the way. Jack's chemistry partner."

Rian did a double take. "Chemistry partner? Why am I just meeting you then?"

"Just got transferred into the class and he didn't have a partner."

Rian nodded. He was confused at first because Jack would never willingly choose a partner that wasn't him or Zack. Just as the thought crossed his mind, he caught sight of Zack on the quad. He waved them over, flailing his arms like a 3 year old.

They sat down on the grass, Jack sitting as far from Alex as possible. He huddled his back against the tree, curling himself up as the others spread themselves out. Zack threw them all a confused look before settling on the newcomer.

"Hey man I'm Zack and you are...?"

Alex smiled and held out a hand, "I'm Alex!"

Zack took it and shook, "Hey Alex how did you meet these two fools?"

"Hey!" Rian shouted.

Alex and Zack laughed. Alex locked his eyes on Jack, "Met Jack and wanted to hang out with him. Rian invited me to lunch and I couldn't say no to that smile." Alex took a moment to wink before going back to studying the quiet boy.

Zack followed his eyesight and sighed. "Not many people can. Speaking of people who cant say no, Cassadee at 2 o'clock."

Rian whipped his head around to glimpse at the beautiful two-toned haired girl walking his way. He looked back at his friends, red in the face. His hands started twitching and Jack couldn't help but give a slight laugh at his friend's reaction.

Rian glared before realizing it was Jack who laughed. Rian smiled despite his embarrassment.

"You think its funny?"

Jack shrugged, "Yeah a little bit."

Just then Cassadee joined their group and sat next to Rian. She smiled at them.

"Hey guys! What are you talking about?" Zack saw his opportunity and he took it.

"Rian's undying love for you." Cassadee took it for a joke causing Rian to turn a deeper shade of red. She kissed Rian on the cheek before settling her eyes on Alex.

"Hey you're new! Good job you guys made a new friend! Its nice to meet you, I'm Cassadee."

Alex smiled at her, "I'm Alex."

They continued idle chatter, well everyone but Jack. He just watched and kept his knees tucked to his chest with his chin resting on them. Every minute or so he caught Alex looking at him. He would always smile and Jack would half-heartedly return it.

The bell rang and he shot up. He started off in the direction of his English class, not waiting for Rian and Cassadee. Alex ran after him.

"Hey Jack! Wait up!" Jack slowed down but only slightly. Alex, out of breath, caught up and slipped into step with the taller boy.

"What do you have right now?"

Jack held up his anthology in response. Alex nodded and tried to think of something to say. Jack finally said something that disappointed him.

"This is my class." He stood awkwardly outside the classroom door. Alex ran his fingers through his hair, debating on whether or not to go through with his offer.

Jack turned to walk in when Alex reached out and grabbed his arm. Big mistake. Jack jumped like he was burned and started breathing heavily. Alex took a step back and tried to look as non-threatening as possible.

"Sorry. I was just um..well do you maybe....fuck."

Jack's breathing was back to normal and he was watching the nervous boy in front of him. He raised his eyebrows and waiting for Alex to continue. Alex took a deep breath and finished his sentence.

"Do you want to come over after school? We could do our chemistry homework and stuff."

Jack didn't even blink when he asked, "Why?"

Alex was confused, "w-why? I don't understand."

Jack looked down at his shoes, "Why do you want to hang out with me? Why do you care at all?"

Alex paused. He honestly didn't know. He knew Jack was broken somehow and he was drawn to it. He kept asking can you fix the broken? He hoped the answer was yes because for whatever reason he needed it to be. He wanted to see Jack smile and laugh. He wanted to get in his head and chase away whatever was plaguing him. Alex sighed because he couldn't tell Jack all of that.

"I just..you seem like..shit I don't know. I just wanted to hang out and get to know my new partner a little better. Its like a 5 minute walk to my house and I can take you home whenever."

Jack seemed to consider it. Then he just shook his head. "Its not a good idea. I need to be in class."

Alex's heart sunk. "O-okay. Yeah I'll see you tomorrow then."

He smiled as Jack turned and went into the class. Well that sucked. He walked to class with a little less bounce in his step. He didn't really expect Jack to agree but it still stung when he declined. Why was he so against letting people in? He kept running possible reasons in his mind for the rest of the day.

Alex was walking down the hall when he caught sight of Jack at his locker with Rian. He walked over and smiled at them.

"Hey guys. Guess what tomorrow is?! FRIDAY!"

Rian laughed and fist pumped. Jack just smirked and shook his head. Alex was struck with a genius idea. He slung an arm around Rian's shoulder, since he learned not to touch Jack, and gave them a mischievous look.

"So to celebrate our new friendship, I'm inviting you all over to my place for pizza and video games. Sound good?"

Rian whopped. "We'll be there man! Right Jack?"

Jack looked a little scared. He really didn't want to go but Rian was his ride. He couldn't really say no, seeing as he wasn't being the best friend lately. He resignedly nodded his head and caught the gleaming smile Alex shot his way.

He tried to ignore the little flips his stomach did at the attention. No! He couldn't get close to someone. He tugged on Rian's sleeve, he wanted to go home and shower. Rian looked at him and nodded.

"Gotta take Jack home. You want a ride?"

Alex thought for a moment. Being in a compact space with Jack would be a good chance to get close. He looked at Jack and decided not to push him too much more today. Good things come to those who wait and Jack was worth waiting for.

"Nah man I don't mind the walk. See you guys tomorrow!"

He clapped Rian on the shoulder and offered Jack a small wave which was returned. He turned on his heel and walked out the front door, feeling good about the upcoming night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I'm trying something different. Tell me what you think? <3