Striptease

Not Too Close

Ben couldn’t breathe; picturing Margo’s eyes out in the crowd had his heart rapidly beating against his chest almost ready to burst. He didn’t know if it is just nerves or hoping that he impressed her with his passionate occupation. The poor man after all talked hours about his job while she patiently listened, eyes wide with excitement when she told him that she could finally see his play.

Now with shaky hands, he clumsily buttoned his shirt hoping for the best as the other actors frantically buzzed around to prepare themselves.

Margo sighed as her eyes danced around the crowd waiting to be let in, her blonde curls were pinned in a loose bun, semi fitted dress because of sheer laziness and flats because she didn’t feel like breaking her ankle today. Spinning around in a tight circle she wondered who else is going to show up from Ben’s little group in all hopes that Abram is going to show.

Whistling the Batman theme song to herself, she almost jumped out of her skin when she felt something brush against her neck. Spinning frantically, she gave a bemused smile at Lee who chuckled in delight at her reaction.

“My, are you always this jumpy?” He teased.

Margo faked a smile, “Only when it seems appropriate. Nice to see you again, you too Taryn.” Noticing the small brunette almost once again mistaking her as a man; possibly has to do with the way she dresses. Her baggy cargo pants doesn’t leave much to go on and her overly sized coat hides her figure. Still she could see Taryn being cute if she wanted to be when she isn’t scowling at Lee for his idiocy.

“Nice to see you too, let’s go inside. You too, dunce.” When the line started to move, they stuck together and slowly moved to their seats. Margo darted around to see that every seat is filled including the ones next to her and Taryn sitting on the opposite side much to her dismay.

Lee pouted, whined and nuzzled his face into Taryn’s shoulder begging to be seated next to Margo so he can be in the middle of a sexy woman sandwich that he always dreamed of. That received a bruise worthy shot to his shoulder, pouting he angled his body closer to Margo. “Mags, look at what Taryn did.” The blond bit the inside of her cheek hearing the brunette woman scoffs on the other end.

Patting his wounded shoulder, he winced as she cooed, “Aww, poor baby. Want me to kiss your boo boo?”

His dark eyes grew big and watery, he’s a really good actor or this is real; regardless he pressed on. “It would make me feel better.” A tiny victory grin crept on his lips when her lips grazed his shoulder before he looped his arm around her shoulders. “I knew I would like you.”

She hummed as her eyes stuck to the thick curtains waiting for the show to start. “I’m used to a certain dramatic flair.” Lee laughed squeezing her shoulders before letting go when Taryn slapped his back. He turned receiving a few harsh words and after a few exchange of words, he sat in his previous position mumbling Taryn’s cold hearted ways.

“Do you want me to switch places with you?” She warned, eyes set on him with a daring look. Taryn reminded her of a strict mother, one that gave a certain look and children feared of being alone with when it came to punishment. Oh, Taryn will be a lovely mother one day or the most obedient children ever.

When Lee’s smirk dropped, he settled down crossing his arms; leaning further into his chair. “Wish Kevin was here, so you can stop moping.” Taryn blushed heavily earning the mouthy man another smack on his arm. Margo caught the end of his muttering asking who isn’t showing up.

Lee turned to her, “Kevin and Abram; Abram is too caught up in work to come and Kevin because he’s come down with the flu.” Then he turned to Taryn who is still beet red, he joked, “Surprised you aren’t nursing him back to health, Tar. I bet he would’ve appreciated it.”

“Shut up, Lee.” She gritted her teeth, huffing while pulling down her bangs as far down as possible to cover her eyes. Lee laughed mutedly, motioning that he scored with his fist pump. Margo quirked a brow at the antics of the two; it seem like Lee only steals opportunities like these when they are alone or with someone out of the loop such as her.

“And you,” Margo’s eyes shifted to the sly man beside her. “When are you going to make your move on Benny boy?” Ah, so he plans to use her nickname for Benedict as some sort of leverage, well that isn’t going to rile her up like it did with Taryn. Poor girl is still recovering.

Crossing her stocking covered legs, she leaned back casually. “I don’t know what you are talking about. We are just friends.” Lee hummed in disapproval thinking that he has something up against her or knows something that she doesn’t. There is nothing going on if that is what he is implying otherwise and when he asked why not in that challenging tone, her eyes were dead set on his. “Because…I don’t want to ruin what we have.”

That rattled Lee observing the cautious look she gave him; one filled with truth before her wall slipped back up again. Of course, Lee doesn’t know Margo that well then again Ben doesn’t either. It’s all the trick of the trade and to be honest, he’s dipping in treacherous waters wanting to know the depths of this Margo woman. She’s completely out of Benedict’s league; he’s smart, witty, all around nice guy and a complete romantic.

Margo didn’t seem that type of woman that wants to settle down or to be serious with anyone. She strikes her up as his type, a wanderer that fears commitment or rather less wants to have fun. He’s gotten lucky snagging these group of people that he calls his mates despite his teasing with Taryn they are very close and probably the first one he goes to with advice, but just like the rest of the group they are overly protective of Ben.

He seems to run away with the ideas of romanticism and women take advantage of that in every way; it is his job to make sure that Margo isn’t one of those women. It’s all part of his plan, you see. Their sweet Ben deserves nothing, but the best and if he had to choose who should be happy in the long haul it’s Benedict.

Pursing his lips, he leaned in closer to remain the intimate conversation to themselves. “Does he know that?” Yes, he did commend her for not pulling his chain or using him for certain advantages, but did she tell him that’s all she wanted? Friendship and nothing more?

Margo exhaled through her nose as she stared into those eyes that were usually so casual then turned serious, “I think he does.” Under that tone of truth came disappointment?

As the curtains started to part, he muttered, “I think you should tell him again for good measure.” Knowing his good friend, he could be pushing those boundaries to see what he can get out of it or fighting it as much as possible, but if Margo continuously shot him down it will be for the best. A reminder now and again of what not to pursue.

Her breath baited as her eyes locked onto Ben’s lone figure; silence in the audience as his bow shaped lips opened before his honey dripped voice echoed around them. Caught in his daze, she closed her eyes savoring his sweet baritone voice during his monologue sending shivers down her spine as he did his declaration of love.

Once opening her eyes once more, the play captured her attention or more like Ben did. The way he moved across the stage, his voice a bit shaky at times, but regained his bearings seconds later. There is a tiny part of her that may have thought he is nervous having his friends in the audience particularly her since this is her first show.

Regardless of what it was, it took her breath away. Margo will admit she did a bit of research and discovered who exactly his parents are; amazing actors at best and actually recognized them. She remembered her ex-girlfriend drooling over Benedict’s mother and if memory serves her correctly she dressed like her character from UFO. Memories flooded what happened that night which turned out them turning early for the night and hopefully she will never share that story with Ben, how embarrassing that would be.

Anyways, her expectations for him after the small finding became very high. Extremely high that made have seem unfair until she saw him in action, now that she is more than content with the product.

The show went smoothly with small intermission in between that landed Lee switching places with Margo in order to escape the further wrath of Taryn. She told him not to tease her so much, but falling on deaf ears he continued much to Taryn’s frustration.

Now they stood near the entrance waiting for the actors to slowly seep out. The flow of people continued to pour, Margo’s eyes floated around each face as her heart started to pound in anticipation. There is no way she isn’t going to praise his performance. Feeling Lee switch to the other side of her, her eyes left the crowd for a second to see the tall man that could be mistaken for a male model stick his tongue out childishly at the short woman beside them.

Taryn, in her surprise delivered the same mocking gesture. A deep husky laugh brought them out of the ridiculous action, the three pair of eyes looked forward to see Ben, make-up free and laughing. A large smile crept on her face seeing him and within that space of time her arms wrapped around his form that easily melted into her.

“You were so amazing! I was blown away by your performance! I didn’t think you were going to be that good, given I have been to a few friends’ plays for moral support, but you are actually brilliant! I can’t seriously can watch you countless times.” Leaning back to see the look in his eyes only centimeters away from each other, her dark brown eyes sparkled in the light.

Lee and Taryn shared a look seeing Margo hugging Ben sharing her adoration for him, the soft flush of his cheeks was a dead giveaway with a small shy to match. Uncertainty crossed his features for a moment before muttering his gratitude for her showing up. The two hung back as Margo’s lisp became prominent, slurring her words in excitement.

Margo grinned, poking his red cheek with her finger. “Are you getting shy on me, Benny?”

Ben lifted his gaze elsewhere clearing his throat hearing her giggle; he will not admit that having her worship him on his performance made his heart soar. In typical Ben fashion, he became modest. “It wasn’t my best performance; I was a bit nervous-”

He was cut off as he felt something press his lips together to halt all doubt in his words. Peering down with his mismatched eyes he witnessed Margo frown, giving him a disapproving look. “I don’t want to hear that nonsense. You did fantastic.” Then as if something clicked in her brain, she took a few steps back to include the other two in the group. “Wanna go grab something to eat?”

Lee’s stomach growled in response, “Yes!” He moaned, leaning his head back in desperation. “Anything will be good as long as it isn’t Thai it might remind Tar of Kevin—hey!” In the nick of time, the tall man dodged the fist flying towards him; humorlessly he let out a squeak when it grazed him.

Margo laughed along with Ben, “Alright children. I was thinking more of the lines of Spanish food. Is that okay with everyone?” Of course Ben will make sure everyone is content with the choice he made and with everyone agreeing they were on their way. Lee actually sat in Margo’s car to avoid further abuse from Taryn, in her logic he deserved it acting like a ten year old.

As they made their way inside, Lee whispered the small reminder in her ear before walking ahead. She stopped in her tracks with his words; is this the first of many confrontations concerning her friendship with Ben? The last thing she needed is to have the rest of his group tell her that she needs to put constant barriers around their friendship.

The young woman could see why they will be worried about Ben growing feelings more than friendship, but they have already established they weren’t going any further. This friendship is way too precious for her to involve herself more than anything else; the one thing she isn’t good at is relationships. Nothing could be held in middle ground for too long, things go array and chaos ensues like always. Whether it’s because of her occupation or commitment to something more than having items at each other’s homes.

The blonde pushed it aside as she entered the restaurant treating everyone to the dinner. When she announced it, Taryn and Lee had no problem issuing the bill over; Ben did not. He tried to snatch the bill away from her much to her dismay yet it ended quickly when she said that friends treat friends from time to time. That silenced him, his face went blank before he replied, “You’re right.”

Not making much of what that was about, Lee and Taryn split from the group leaving the other two. They stood off to the side of the restaurant not knowing what to do next. “I’m glad I came.” Margo blurted out, blush dusted across her cheeks. She didn’t know why she is acting this way.

“Me too.” A comforting smile on his lips as he took a glance at the tall woman beside him. “I honestly thought you weren’t going to be able to make it since you have been really busy as of late.” It was true, her hours have increased and she asked for it. Margo needed the extra cash for expenses she wasn’t expected and she rather not spill her problems worrying Ben.

A part of her wanted to apologize for not making the effort to see him as often as she would have liked. Instead, she told him that she wouldn’t miss it for the world. Tucking her hands into her pocket, she swung on the tip of her heels. “Anything planned for your birthday?”

His birthday just around the corner, Margo has been worried on what to get him and taking those extra shifts to pay for anything she finds will be worth it, won’t it? She is met with a shrug, “I’m going to a wedding.”

“On your birthday?” She blinked curiously wondering why he would go when that day should be all about him.

The selfless part of him didn’t see the big deal seeing that he is blessed in more ways than one. “Why not? He’s a good friend of mine and they wanted to get married on the day they met…in a bar…on my birthday.” The two chuckled at the cliché meeting of two strangers; Margo can at least say that her meeting with Ben is a little more original than that.

“Then I hope you have fun and lots of cake.” Almost cursing, she felt her heart drop that she won’t be spending the day with him or at least spoiling him on that day like she usually did for her friends—okay, that hasn’t happened in years. She spoils her family though.

“Actually,” her eyes darted up to meet his as that uncertainty returned in his eyes. “I was wondering if you would be my plus one, I already told them I was bringing someone and uh, Celia will have a mental breakdown if I changed that.” Wincing at the thought of actually telling the overly stressed bride that he is going solo; Ben didn’t think he would be dateless at that wedding, but suddenly he is and his solution is right in front of him.

Margo smirked, placing her hands on her hips. “Am I a replacement for a cop out? Ex, perhaps?” She hit right on the mark, stiffly nodding at her questioning, she accepted. “Sure, why not. Don’t want the bride to have an aneurysm for having a plate of food going cold. Chicken?”

“It’s actually vegan, I was promised it will be delicious.”

“Yippee.” She chortled, it seems like that awkward scene has vanished into their usual banter. He walked her to her car and promises to pick her up for the wedding.

“I hope to see you before then.” Margo couldn’t agree more, she hated when they gone more than a couple of days of not seeing each other. Weaved heavily into each other’s lives it felt off when they didn’t see one another. Giving him a date that she will be free the day before the wedding, he smiled as they hugged.

His cheek pressed against hers before pulling away having her lips lightly touches the skin, smiling when she felt his high cheekbone against her lips. “I’ll see you later.” She whispered, her hand on the flap of his coat keeping him close as a hand of his is wound to the middle of her back. This felt more than a friendship and in that moment they knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all! I would have posted this yesterday, but for some reason my stories weren't showing up on my monitor. Seriously thought my stories were gone XD Also Ben's birthday is just around the corner!! Happy early birthday to him!! For all you readers I hope you enjoyed this one and things will start to heat up soon I promise :)

BlueDreams

Kristenmae89