Status: 8/18/2015 Hiatus that's currently attempted to be broken.Do not be surprised if this gets deleted and reposted.

Oh, Catastrophe

Lock the Doors and Bar the Windows

Ang signed off on some papers, changed back into the clothes in which he was escorted in, and nervously shifted from foot to foot. He was more focused on the appearance of his own thoughts, making sure that... the darkness didn’t lurk somewhere. Waiting. He mentally locked and barracaded every door within his mind. Somewhere within his thoughts he sat patiently, alone and on guard.

“Ang.” Cindy placed a hand on his back and he snapped out of his trance. He smiled and followed her out of the elevator into the main lobby that gave no indication of what kind of patients lay inside the hospital, “I’m not gonna say I’ll miss you cause that’ll just imply I want you back here.” She let out a hardy laugh, “But you take care of yourself.” She clasped his shoulder.
He swooped down to hug her tightly, “Thanks for everything Cind.”
She’d chuckle, “Come on now. It was nothin. Now get out there and get to work on that business of yours ya hear me?”
He laughed and waved his last goodbye with only 1 paper bag of his belongings. Outside, it was hotter than he thought it would be. The sun was blazing and he squinted as he glanced up at the sky and took a breath of fresh air. It’s felt like years since he’s seen the actual sky and trees in person instead of behind a barred Plexiglas window.

“Ang!” Kelly ran to him, jumping on him and causing him to stumble as she wrapped her legs around his torso, “Oh! I missed you!” She squeezed him tightly.
He dropped his bag and held her tightly, inhaling her scent; “I’ve missed you too!”
After a moment, he let her down, “How are you feeling?” She pushed strands of hair away from his face.
His smile was a bit weak, “Alright. I mean, better than before but it takes some getting use to.”
She kissed him, “I’m glad. Now come on, I have the boys are waiting at Olive Garden.”
Ang made a face, “Chris’ idea I’m guessing?” He knows Ang isn’t particularly fond of Olive Garden. It’s been a joke of theirs ever since to try and get Ang to eat there as often as possible when he had no other choice.
“You know it.”

~~

“We’re gonna tour soon.” Chris announced munching on some bread-sticks as they waited for their food, “Got some invites and stuff. Not a headliner but ya know, money is money and we could sure use it right now.”
Ricky, Ryan, Devin, and Josh nodded their agreement.
Ang smiled, “I’m glad man. It’ll do you guys some good. You’ve been getting a tad bit too comfortable over here.” He teased.
The table filled with laughter, “How’s the shop coming along?” Ryan perked up.
Angelo twitched as Ricky tore strips out of a napkin, a noticeable coping reflex that was taught to them during one of their group therapy sessions. He watched the movement, “I have a meeting next week, actually. Found a place open for sale down in PA. Gonna start putting some renovation plans in check.”
“You heading back to Pennsylvania?” Josh quirked with a bit of shock.
Ang glanced at Kelly who smiled sweetly at him, “Yeah... Figured the girl and I head back to our roots, right? Maybe it’ll be better for me to stay close to family.”
Chris nodded, “Yeah.. I kinda miss it over there. Good luck man.”
“You got the OK from the man?” Ryan raised a brow.

“The Man” refers to Doctor Prescott. It was a code name they made up for their therapists so they wouldn’t feel awkward talking about it.
“Hey, that’s why we got assigned these dudes. They’re flexible. He has an office down there. I don’t really wanna get reassigned so we’re talking things out. The move’s not 100% official yet anyway.”
“Yeah, we figured we’d take our time. Ya know? We’ll fly in about a day or two before his big meeting, book the place, look around and come back here to figure things out.”
“Sounds awesome!” Devin chimed in with a smile for the first time since they sat at the table.
“Can’t wait to get some ink done by Parente.” The name rolled off Chris’ tongue smoothly from years of friendship.
“Whatcha gonna call the place?” Ricky blew the strips of napkin aside and started on a new one.
Angelo shrugged, “I was thinking about it for a while. Don’t really know but I might go with Black Casket Tattoo.”
“Suits you.”
Ang smiled, it did.

They all paused their conversation as the waitress came with a cheery smile, delivering their plates of food.
“Hope everything’s in check for all of you.” She smiled.
Everyone nodded and murmured their thanks. Angelo looked up to give the waitress a smile but paused. She looked familiar and the smile she sent his way made him feel... warm. The waitress would glance away to answer something Devin asked but still seemed to look back at Ang with that same smile and knowing eyes. He could feel his blood boil, his heart beating erratically as he struggled to gather his thoughts. Where did he know her from? Why did her glance cause goosebumps to raise on his skin. The hairs on his neck stood and for a moment he felt like he was going to vomit.

He could see it now. Remember it. The waitress from the dinner he had with Motionless before. He remembers how they slipped into the bathroom, the bitter taste of an open pill upon his tongue and how warm and ready she was for him. She accepted his kisses without a second thought, her daze probably making her look over the strange bitter taste. Before she could ask questions he pushed within her and they moved together until they both were satisfied.
The flask. When did he ever purchase a flask? They drank a strong drink laced with something... something that didn’t effect Ang but in the end took the life of-

“Ang!”
He jumped, feeling something warm press against his leg. For a moment he was scared to look but took a breath when it was just Kelly’s hand.
“Are you ok?” She whispered as the boys ate and laughed.
He looked around, the waitress was long gone. He cleared his throat, “Yeah just... Just thinking about what it’s gonna be like back in Pennsylvania.” He smiled, “I’m excited and nervous at the same time.” He lied.
She grinned and rubbed his arm, “It’s ok. I think it’s for the best. We’ll get a new start together somewhere you’re comfortable.”
He smiled at her before they returned their attention to the group.

But Angelo couldn’t stop thinking about it. It was as if he actually remembered the day now. It has become so clear to him. He remembers waking up that morning and getting ready... Even remembers answering the door for Chris who rushed him when he was fumbling with his keys. Could it be? Was he really conscious?
No. No he wasn’t. He knows he wasn’t. So why could he...
Why was it so clear? He can remember what she felt like, the alcohol running down his throat, warming his belly. Her moans when he...

“Come on you slow poke!” Kelly giggled a few feet ahead of him where the boys were running frantically towards the boardwalk.

Angelo looked around, his feet still moving at a brisk pace. His heart dropped to his stomach and he sweats he could see the blood rushing through the veins of his eyes. Where was he? How did he get here?
He was at a boardwalk, one he was familiar with but couldn’t really tag a name on. He shivered, feeling like he was watching everything behind someone else’s eyes but he knew for sure it was he who was moving. Maybe he blacked out? No, he remembers leaving the restaurant; he and the boys slammed down their payments, a tradition that identified who would pay the tip. Josh ended up being the last to slam down the bills and paid the waitress a $10 tip. Ryan had ended up calling him a cheapo and shoved him into a wall playfully as they walked out. Kelly suggested they walk towards the beach and they did. Now they were here. He ate a funnel cake and threw popcorn at Ryan who he chased halfway down the boardwalk while Ricky stuffed two cigarettes up his nose and called himself a walrus. He made obnoxious noises which caused Chris to push him off his chair. Devin and Josh held hands and paraded around the boardwalk like a married couple before mooning everyone behind them.

“Babe?”
“Hm?” Angelo jumped, his arms were wrapped tightly around Kelly’s torso. The TV was playing Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow and they were in pajamas.
“Today was a good day wasn’t it?” She murmured, snuggling into his chest.
He swallowed, he wanted to fight the fact his heartbeat began to quicken, “Yeah.” He choked.

He was home. It was as if he just blinked and the whole scenario seemed to change. For a split second, he began to panic. He couldn’t remember and he knew he couldn’t remember because-
No, slowly it seemed to sink back into his memories. They closed their night with some ice cream and then he drove he and Kelly back to his place where they made a quick dinner, ate over some The Office episodes, before retiring in the bedroom.
These weren’t his memories.
These were not his memories.

“Ang?”
“Yeah?” He murmured, pulling her closer in silent comfort.
“What’s that song you’re singing?”
“Huh?”
“The one you’re murmuring. It sounds familiar.”

He clenched his teeth, running circles around his own mind, double checking his defenses.

“I dunno. I guess it just got stuck in my head somehow.”
She looked at him, “Ring around the rosie? That’s random.”
“Mhm.” They shut off the television and prepared for a night of sleep. He couldn’t sleep though.. He listened to the silence of the night and her breathing next to him. He kissed the top of her head and took a moment to relax.
He wandered around his mind, double checking each locked door until he remained silent in the middle of it all. Sometimes he felt like he could hear footsteps... or a gentle knocking. But as fast as it came, it was gone.
And there was his silence. He reached for his medication and popped two pills, swallowing them dry.
He squeezed his eyes shut, searching for sleep as he idly hummed the nursery rhyme.