Status: one and done

Woman Like You

One of One

“Hey babe?” a weary voice came from the small warm body that lay next to his, she had a blanket around her. They were watching the news, something about a polar vortex and the cold weather that even him, from Canada, and her from Minnesota had ever experienced. They hadn’t left the house all day since he came home from practice that morning.

They had met in Pittsburgh soon after he had signed a six-year deal with his team and she, being a lawyer, had helped make the deal go through on both ends. He had put a ring on her finger on her birthday and they were taking time planning their wedding.

His fingers were running up and down her arm. James stopped and looked at her. “What would your life be like had you never met me?”

He laughed at the woman, “Paisley, seriously?” He rolled his eyes at her question she was insane.

“Yeah, I mean, how would your life be? Would you be different?”

“I would fish a lot more, even during the season. I wouldn’t have little miss motion sickness. I would probably go to those horrible fried chicken places that are completely out of my diet. I would golf with Geno and Sid more because I wouldn’t have distractions on Sunday mornings.” She shifted her body to look at her boyfriend of over a year. She rolled her eyes.

“I am a distraction?” She scoffed at him. “What the hell!” She was joking with him.

“I didn’t mean it like that Paisley! I would keep up better with American football, no matter how horrible your team is.” He said poking at the fact her Vikings hadn’t had that great of a season. She huffed at him; she would support them no matter what. “At the same time I wouldn’t trade a day, good, bad or other not being with you. I am a better man being with you.”

“You’re so full of shit.” She laughed at the man. Sometimes she couldn’t handle the things that came out of James’ mouth. They had been through a lot, and to be honest they both knew they would have to cross a few more barriers, but it was fun. They loved each other and it was good for both of them to be there, with each other, no matter how off the wall Paisley’s questions were or how moody James could be after one of his games.

This time he rolled his eyes “I could have poker nights and only have beer in my fridge. I wouldn’t know what a juice cleanse is. I could own a motorcycle and gone out and had a pool table where you decided to put an actual dining table.”

“Hey, I bet your coach would adore you having tons of beer in your fridge.” She winked at him.

“I wouldn’t have those goddamn extra pillows on our bed that make no sense and we have to take off the bed to sleep. I wouldn’t have to go to the bank, I would still have my can of cash in the kitchen.” She snorted. “Maybe I would pick up drum sticks or maybe a guitar and start a cover band with Sid and Duper! How badass would that be?”

“You have the rhythm of a deaf man babe.” He motioned that she had stuck a knife in his chest and twisted it. She smacked him, laughing. She tucked a piece of her dark brown hair back into her bun. She got up and walked into their kitchen grabbed a glass of water and walked back as James slapped Paisley ass.

“Hell, if I didn’t know you then I wouldn’t know how amazing you look in that downward facing dog shit and the squats in the home gym. I really need to take pictures of that sometime.” I laughed as he pulled me into his lap.

“I can’t fish to save my life, that was all Mike’s gig, and I can only drink 2 beers before I want to throw up, I like the harder shit.” She smiled at him. “I can’t ride a motorcycle and I promised my mother I’d never own one. I hate golfing on Sunday mornings, I’d rather spend them in bed with you.”

Her face broke into a smile. Paisley blushed at the man who’s lap she sat on.

“You know you make the best fried chicken I’ve ever eaten in my entire life. Thank God you grocery shop every week so I don’t only have beer and my mom acts like I’ll starve to death. I’m so glad you taught me how to actually use a bank account, and you showed me how to balance a checkbook. And those decorative pillows that put everything together! It makes everything look so nice. I love how you do you yoga every morning and how you drink your coffee on the back porch even when it’s snowing and cold.”

“You’re such a jackass.” She laughed at him. It was all true, and he had grown accustom too in the time they’ve lived together. He loved every quirk that she had brought into his life. How she never cleaned up her paper work before falling asleep when he came home late from games. How her makeup was strewn everywhere.

“I love the way your name comes out when I say it and how you’ve changed my mind about everything around me. I love how you can cook and how you deal with me at my worst. You are the only person I want to be with you and I don’t know how you deal with me.” She smiled at him.

“It’s a tough job James Neal!” She put her glass on the table in front of them and kissed his handsome face. “You’re my favorite person.”

“But most of all, if I didn’t have you right here in my lap, I’d be out there looking for a woman like you.” Both of their faces, closer than before were happy, they were both where they were meant to be and everyday James thanked God that he had brought this woman into his life.

“Lets go to bed my super star hockey player.” She pushed up off of him and grabbed his hand. She led him into the bedroom he luckily shared with her.

“God, I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My first one shot :)