The Green Witch

Prologue

It began with the Ents.

The Ents were the first “beings” to be awoken by the elves. They were their first little project, their first try.

But there are few who know about their second try.

The elves, overwhelmed by their magical ability to wake up trees, were at the very least, intrigued by this new, bright, wonderful power. It was this curiosity and determination that bore them the Kuruni.

In the common tongue, they are known as witches, and they are all but forgotten to most who live in Middle Earth. There are some, however, who are familiar with one or two of them.

You see, to “wake up” the witches, the elves had to create beings in their likeness, but out of what? What energy? What life and power?

It was the essences.

Essences are felt anywhere where life is strong and thrives. Any ecosystem that needs elements to fuel itself. And these essences had enough life in them to come to life, and to live in the physical world as a guardian.

The elves created many witches in the beginning. There was a Prairie Witch, a Lake Witch, a Forest Witch, Mountain Witch, and all the rest, one for each of the great places of essence in the world. The elves were jovial and triumphant, teaching these equally immortal beings about their life and their purpose. At first, it was a true companionship, born out of being the protectors of Middle Earth, the guardians of all. But the witches soon saw a different method of doing things.

While elves shared the world with other races, though taking their rightful place as most wise, the witches saw the world to be too valuable and precious to be given to the lesser races of men and dwarves and all else that wandered its plains. And so, to protect what they loved and held most dear, they started to eliminate those who harmed it.

Dwarves who tunneled the mountains, men who plowed fields and cut down trees- any whiff of industry was an enemy. The witches began to wage war upon everyone at once, and the elves were the only force powerful enough to stop them. Thus, the great Kuruni fara (“witch hunt” in the common tongue), took place, and the elves took up war against those they created; those they had once declared friends and companions. Their numbers being too few, the witches were defeated, and those who lived were thrown into unending exile.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd love to hear what you think :D