Lucky One

Prologue

I took a good look at the crowd as Pierre clears his throat before he speaks, we had just finished playing our new song ‘Welcome To My Life’.

“We’re going to play a little game. Jeff, David and Sebastien will put a unique mark on one of their guitar picks, they will then toss a handful out into the crowd. Whoever catches the lucky pick will get something in return from that band member.”

The lead singer smirked as he looked back at his band mates, “Could be the shirt off his back, a backstage pass to our next show, maybe even a date?”

The lead guitarist and bass player already had their sharpie markers out and were drawing something on their guitar picks, “David you can not draw a penis, we do have some underage kids here whose parents will kill us if they see that.”

David shook his head before he licked his finger and cleared the mark on his guitar pick, he smirked out into the crowd before drawing again.

“Now ladies and gentlemen, I know you’re probably thinking…anyone can guess what the band member drew and mark it on the guitar pick they catch. Only thing is, he will be the only one who knows the truth. As for Chuck and I, we will personalize almost any item you hand over to us at the merch booth.”

The crowd screamed loud at this, Pierre looked towards the rhythm guitarist. “Are you ready, Sebastien?”

I look at each band member seeing they all had their eyes on me, I pull out my red sharpie and draw a heart. My eyes scanned the crowd before I turned the guitar pick around and kiss it.

One by one we walk towards the edge of the stage with at least fifteen guitar picks in our palms, on the count of three we tossed them into the air.

----

We all sat in front of the merch booth, signing autographs to each person who approached us through the line that had formed. A dry erase board stood off to the side with the winning prizes to whoever had the lucky guitar pick.

David - Record a message as a ringtone

Jeff- Private lesson to learn how to play a Simple Plan song on guitar

Seb- A date with Sebastien!

I don’t know what made me agree with my band mates to go out on a date with whoever won my guitar pick. For starters, if a guy happened to grab it, things would get awkward! I also worried over the fact that it may be a fan who has probably claimed me as their husband.

After an hour had passed most of the crowd began leaving except the ones who have been fans since the beginning. The first two prizes had been claimed, I grew nervous at the last twenty or so people standing in line.

I shook my head, brushing away the uneasiness that was building up in my stomach. Instead I turned my attention to the fan who currently was in line.

She stood about five feet tall, her hair was a mixture between black and brown depending how the light caught it. Her age was unknown to me at the moment, I would’ve guessed sixteen years old if it weren’t for the fact that she spoke to the other four as if we were old friends.

“So how come you’re not wearing a Simple Plan shirt?” Pierre argued with her.

The teenager laughed, “I’ve been a fan since the very beginning. I just figured if I wore regular clothes instead of Simple Plan clothing that you wouldn’t be scared to talk back to me. The trick to meeting the band is to pretend you’re not that all interested in them, that way you won’t see me coming!”

The guys laughed, “Well it was a pleasure meeting you, Nichole. Thank you for supporting our band and we hope to see you again soon.” Chuck stood up from his seat and leaned over the table to give her a hug. She returned it.

The item ‘Nichole’ had was a Canada flag, I hesitated and looked towards the other band mates. Pierre shrugged his shoulders, “It’s probably illegal to sign our country’s flag, but it’s already too late seeing as the rest of us already signed!” he chuckled.

I looked back down at the flag and wrote my name bigger then the other band members of Simple Plan, the guys had already began talking to the next fan as Nichole still stood in front of me after I folded up the flag and handed it back to her.

She looked towards the other guys before turning her attention half towards me, half towards the table. The next thing I saw was her hand extended out in front of me, “Thank you for the autograph, Seb.”

I reached my hand out to shake hers, a smile on my face. It faltered a little as I felt something poke my palm. She closed my fingers around the object before releasing my hand.

“I um…” she shook her head slowly.

“I have an idea of what you’re going to say, so instead of forcing you to proceed with what Pierre dared you to do.., lets just call it even seeing as you guys put on a good show.” she whispered.

I watched as Nichole walked away from the table quickly with her head lowered, I didn’t realize what she was talking about until I opened up my hand to see what she had left me.

My white guitar pick gazed back at me, I flipped it over to see a red heart that I had drawn.