Time Stood Still

I Don't Really Know Where I Must Go.

Chapter 1: I Don't Really Know Where I Must Go.

Josh POV

London, the capital city of England.
Is where I’ve been living for the last 12 years of my life, up until now.
Mum and dad got a divorce which kind of ended badly a few months ago and completely messing up my summer.
And without even asking what I wanted, mum packed up all our stuff and dragged me along on this ridiculous long car journey/move to Cornwall, which is about four hours away from London.
I wanted to stay in London with dad, I had my life there, my family, my friends, my school… but I didn’t really have a choice to be honest. Mum and dad sold our house pretty quickly and dad was kipping on a work mates sofa for the last two months and there weren’t anywhere for me to stay.
So here I am, sat at the back on this car buried behind a shit load of boxes, wanting to be as far away from mum as possible for this journey. I was still pretty damn pissed off at her for not letting me stay in London, I’m 17 I’m not a child anymore, I don’t understand why she wouldn’t let me stay.
She just gave me a lecture that I would make new friends and enjoyed our new home…which I seriously doubt.
We’re originally from Cornwall, well I lived there till I was 5 and then dad got a new job in London which we then move to… and now we’re moving back.
“Are you okay back there honey?”
“Yeah.” I said with a sour face as I continued to stare out the window, not wanting to make a conversation with her.
“You’re gonna love our new place honey, I promise.”
“I seriously doubt that…” I mumbled under my breath before turning up the music on my ipod to drown her out.
I’ve been giving her the silent treatment all week or only one or two words if I really had to answer her.
I wasn't going to forgive her any time soon, she really has no idea how shes made me feel by dragging me away from everything I know, its not fair.

We finally arrived at the house; and by this time I was feeling, tired, hungry and annoyed and just wanted to be left alone.
But of course mum had me carrying boxes in and out of the house the second we got out of the car, not my idea of being left alone to sulk.
The house was right at the top of a hill, typical. Can we be any further away from civilization?
All I could see was trees and fields, and the smell of sea water, followed by annoying screeching seagulls, not exactly my idea of home sweet home.
One of the boxes I was carrying had falling through, and everything inside poured out the bottom and scattering everywhere.
I groaned in frustration, I can't be bothered with this!
I started picking everything up and ran down the little slop of our drive which some stuff had rolled down to the bottom. I wasn't really paying attention, but when I looked up I was faced with a surprised view of the beach and sea. Wow, okay I wasn't expecting to have an amazing beach view from our front garden, I guess thats pretty cool. But I shall remain pissed off and annoyed, the last thing I wanted was giving mum the satisfaction that I liked something about this place.
I heard her call out for me from inside the house, which I slowly turned away from the beach view and into the house.

“Josh come up here quick, I want to show you you’re old room!” she shouted down from upstairs.
Oh for crying out loud woman, make up your mind what you what me to do! I grunted at my mothers nagging and excitement of this stupid house.
I stumbled into the room dropping several boxes and bags from my grip, I searched my surroundings; the room was a lot bigger from what I had back in London. The walls had cob webs in every corner, the wall paint was chipped and the room held a horrible damp smell which made my nose scrunch up.
It was in desperate need to be redecorated and it also looked like nobody had lived in this house in years, which was probably a sign…
I had a big open bay window, which over looked the sea not far from our house; at least I have a nice view from my window, not that it makes this house all that amazing as mum was making out it was.
“You’re cot used to be next to this window.”
Mum beamed a big smile as she trace the empty space with her hands, where my baby cot used to be.
“I found you always fell asleep to the sound of the waves or from the moon light shining in.”
She smiled as she moved my fringe out of my face.
I still found it incredibly weird and creepy that this used to be my bedroom when I was a kid.
When my parents got divorce, as soon as mum found out our old house was up for sale she literally jump at the chance.
I don’t really understand why she would want to move back into our old house, it must be filled with all sorts of memories of her and dad…
Surely you would want to get away from the past, not move back into it?
“I’ll leave you to unpack you’re things sweetie.”
I sighed as she left the room.
I traced the window ledge with my fingers as I stared out to the sea in the distance in this cold empty room.
“Home sweet home.” I muttered.

The weekend came and went and today was my first day at my new college, which to be honest, I was really fucking dreading!
I was eating a slice of toast and staring out the kitchen window at my mother talk to some strange man.
She was being really friendly and the smile on her face was permanent the whole time she was talking to him. God knows who he was, not that I wanted to really know to be honest.

A black el camino pulled up beside them, you know its one of those cars which is basically a car and a truck merge together as one, you don't really see many of those around but yeah. My mum and the man run up to and greeted whoever were seated inside.
I left quietly out the front door hoping mum wouldn’t notice me leave but who was I kidding.

“Josh sweetie!”
She shouted over at me, motioning her hand at me to come over to her.
Great, I'm not really in the mood to meet people, I have all this to come at college today. But yet, I dragged my feet and make my way over to her.
“You remember Victor Fuentes and his two boys Vic and Mike don’t you?” mum smiled, looking back at the man beside her and then at the boys in the car.
“Erm…” not really.
I bit my lip feeling kind of awkward just standing there being put on the spot trying to remember these three strangers who I really have no idea who they are.

“We used to make sandcastles when we were younger apparently.” the boy in the drivers seat laughed out. I glance up and smiled slightly at the tan skinned boy, he wore a backwards snap back cap followed by dark curly shoulder length hair, he had these deep chocolate brown eyes and a nose ring.
“Er yeah, I kind of remember now…” a faint memory of when my parents used to take me to beach with other friends popped into my mind.
“Josh I can’t believe how much you’ve grown up!”
The old man said, patting me on the back, making me feel even more awkward… I don’t even know these people, I just want to leave now!
“You wanna ride to college?”
The boy in the drivers seat nicely asked, he must have sense how awkward I felt.
“That’ll be great…thanks.”
“Have a great first day at school honey.”
I blushed and smiled back at my mother as I climbed into the last remaining seat of; who I think was Vic’s car and the boy seated in the passengers side was his brother Mike.

I was sat leaning my face on my hand which my elbow was resting against the car window, hating the moment of awkward silence which the three of us sat in but thankfully it was soon broken by Vic nagging his brother by lighting up a cigarette.
“Seriously, this time in the morning Mike?” Vic pulls his eyes away from the road for a second to scold his brother.
“Leave me be.”
Mike turned to me, offering me a cigarette.
“Do you want one?”
“No thanks, I don’t smoke.”
Vic looked over at me.
“Good for you Josh.” He smiled before lecturing his brother again.
“You better not let pops catch you with that, especially in my car!”
“Come on bro, its too early in the morning for this lecture.”
“You’ll prefer me lecturing you over pops beating your sorry ass if he catches you!”
“Whatever.” He mumbled.
I couldn’t help but laugh, at least they're little rant lighten up the mood slightly.
“Don’t feel like a stranger Josh, if you need any help with finding your way around college, just ask me or Mike.”
“Thanks.” I muttered, it was nice of them to offer but I think i'll be fine on my own.

The first half of college was a complete blur; everything was so different compared to college back in London. I had a lessons with Vic, which was good. It’s nice to know at least one person in this god for saken place.
It was finally lunch and I tagged along with Vic who introduced me to some of his friends, Tony, Jaime, Kellin and his girlfriend Kate. Mike joined us later also with his friend Casey, even though he’s in the year below us, Vic had no problem with his little brother hanging out with us, which some siblings usually hate.
I sat quietly beside Vic, I’m usually a really sociable person, you know the big headed know it all who never shuts up and loved being the center of attention, yeah thats me, but today I barely said anything to anyone. I just sat there taking in the conversation of the group, trying to get to know these strangers who were most liking become my future friends but suddenly, someone caught my attention.

A tall lanky boy with long dark hair walk gracefully past us, none of the others from the group seemed to notice him, but he had my full attention.
He sat in the corner of the lunch hall alone, incredibly straight in his seat, staring down at his untouched lunch tray.
His face was pale white, he had these big dark eyes, and every feature of his body was absolutely perfect… he was beautiful.
I didn’t realise I was full blown staring at him, but no body seem to notice until I spoke out.

“Who’s that?” I curiously asked.
Everyone on the lunch table stopped talking and looked in the same direction I was looking before I finally turned my eyes away.
“That’s Oliver Sykes.” Vic answered.
“Why is he sitting on his own?”
Vic smirked.
“Oliver isn’t a peoples person…he likes to keep himself distant from us sociable students.”
“How comes?” I asked.
“He’s just one of those ignorant bastards who thinks he’s better than everyone else.” Kellin commented.
“Oh.”
I thought Kellin’s comment was abit harsh, but I don really know neither of them to judge.
“He looks alright.”
“Looks can be misleading.” Kellin said with a smile which I can only read as bitchy.
I glanced back to take another look at Oliver, to find him staring straight at me.
I panicked and looked away instantly, feeling my cheeks burn red, it was as if he heard our conversation or something. But that’s impossible, we’re not sitting close enough for him to hear us...
I could feel his eyes burning into my back, he looked pretty pissed, like I was the one who was talking shit about him… but I wasn’t, I was actually sticking up for him… how awkward.

Lunch was over and Vic was kindly walking me to my next class, seeing as I had no idea where the room was.
On our way, a young girl literally dance her way past us, interrupting our conversation, it was as if she was some sort of pixie fairy or something.
“Who’s that?” I asked, without taking my eyes off her.
“That’s Hannah…she’s kinda weird.”
"Weird?" I asked, wanting Vic to explain what he meant, but Hannah answered.
She suddenly stopped about 10 feet ahead of us. She hesitated for a few seconds before peeking over her shoulder and smiling directly at me.
I just stood there feeling like a right idiot not knowing really what to do or say.
I bit my lip and looked away embarrassed for about a second, but when I looked back, she was gone.
“See what I mean… weird.” Vic said widening his eyes.
“Right...”
I was completely confused what just happened…some random girl had just stopped and smiled at me and then disappeared.
What is with the students in this place… they seem to be beautifully weird…
I walked into my English class and introduce myself to the teacher, showing him my time table. Man, I hate being the new kid.
“Well Josh, why don’t you take a seat next to Oliver.”
Of course the only seat left was the one next to Oliver.
My heart began to race as he stared at me the same way he did at lunch, a horrid death stare.
He was making me crazily nervous and I was actually scared to sit next to him but I had no choice.
I think we got off on the wrong foot so I thought it were best to introduce myself.
“Hello…” I managed to choke out, completely fucking up my introduction.
He said nothing but nodded his head slowly at me before swiftly moving away from me in his seat to face the window.
Erm, well that was rude.
I sat awkwardly next to him, clinging to my text book trying to keep myself to myself, counting down the seconds left of this horrid lesson.
Oliver sat with his head leaning against his hand, index finger and thumb pinching the bridge of his nose, eyes closed, his dark hair covering his face… it was like he was trying so hard not to break concentration over something… but I couldn’t figure out what.
I started to feel incredibly uncomfortable next to him, I don’t understand what his problem is; I haven’t done anything to upset him.
“Mr Sykes, are you still with us? Would you like to give the class a quick summary of the story?” Mr Cliff deliberately ask Oliver, so he could obviously humiliate in front of the class for not paying attention.
He made a low growl under his breath only I could have heard and then suddenly his eyes flung open, revealing his angry black eyes and gripping tight on to the Romeo and Juliet text book before he spoke.
He took me completely off guard.
The way he spoke… it was as if he was like from another time or something, like he really understood the depths of the story… I was completely thrown back.
He’s either a big fan of the story Romeo and Juliet or he has extremely good hearing and memory, to remember everything what’s gone on in today’s lesson. Even I’ve zoned out a couple of times, finding the subject utterly boring and of course, being completely distracted by Oliver’s behavior towards me.
Mr Cliff was basically put to shame as Oliver's answer was far from what he expected, but before he could reply back to Oliver the bell rang, signalling the lesson to be over and Oliver was out of the room in a shot. Leaving me in my seat feeling horrible and be little.

I couldn’t wait to get home sooner, even though it didn’t feel like home at all and I was dreading every last bit being in the new or old house, whatever you wanna call it.
I was sat at my desk trying to start my English essay but it didn’t seem like it was going to happen tonight, I’ve manage to type two lines, which didn’t even make sense!
I flopped English for a reason because I was no good, damn mum for making me retake this stupid subject!
I was getting frustrated and finding any little thing to distract myself not to do this essay.
Suddenly my phone rang, seeing the name light up on the screen couldn’t give me a better distraction.
“Dad!” I was so excited to hear from him.
“Hey son, how you doing?”
“I’m okay, been waiting for you to call.” I hadn't heard from him in a couple of weeks and hearing his voice just made everything better.
“Sorry son I’ve been so busy, but I have some good news, I’ve put a deposit down for a flat in the city!”
“Really?!” I couldn't hold back my excitement.
“Yeah you’ll love it, its completely modern up and you have a great view of the city from you’re bedroom window.”
“From my bedroom?”
“Yeah it’s great, hopefully the transaction won’t take too long to go through and you’ll be back home with me in no time!”
I sighed.
Home…
“I can’t wait dad.” Home and dad was literally everything to me, I couldn't wait to be back.
“Are you okay? How you finding living in the middle of nowhere?” he mocked.
“Oh yeah its great having to walk more than 100 miles just to get to a bus stop!”
He laughed at my over exaggeration but he understood.
“I feel for you son I really do! How’s you’re new college?”
“Its okay I guess…”
“Okay? Have you made any new friends? Aren’t the two Fuentes boys nice to you?”
“Oh no, Vic and Mike are great guys… its just getting used to some people around here…”
“Are some kids at college causing you some trouble or something?”
“Erm no… dad don’t worry about it, I’m fine.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah… anyway dad, I’ve gotta go, I have to finish my English essay for tomorrow…”
I lied.
“Oh ok, I better leave you to it then.”
“Yeah, thanks for calling dad.”
“No problem son, speak to you soon.”
I hung up feeling annoyed and sadden from the conversation with my dad.
I missed him, being away from him is a lot harder than I thought it would be. We’re close, I feel he’s the only one who understands me and I miss all the things we used to do together, like go to see Arsenal play, or go to the pub, or play football, our little jokes or him teaching me how to drive… I missed everything.
I missed my old college, my old friends, the city, public transport, civilization!
Fuck, what sort of place is this!
I felt the tears welling up in my eyes.
I slammed shut my laptop screen and threw myself onto my mattress which was on the floor because I don't even have a bed yet! I'd buried my face in my pillow to sulk, refusing to do anything for the rest of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey my lovelies, im back! :D
Hope you've all enjoyed the first chapter of my new Fransykes/twilight story! really missed my last Fransykes, so i thought it was about time i start a new one. And any readers who read my last 2 stories, know i have a thing about writing ridiculously long chapters! but first chapters are always hard and awkward to get the story across i find, but whatever i hope you guys get the overall story and enjoyed it :) comments to let me know what you think will be great :D xx