Dearly Beloved

Darkness

“Must you follow me wherever I go?” Irritation sparked as the shadow of the only confidant that her dear husband held close to his heart walked behind her. He strolled so casually it brought inner emotions, unanswered questions and most of all confusion.

Where is he here?

Almost hearing the grin on his lips, he simply replied, “It is my duty to protect you, my lady.”

Hansa scoffed disregarding her mannerisms for that moment, “I highly doubt that. If you were, then you would have protected me during the siege.” Disturbed by her honest nature, the knight faltered his footsteps halted for a beat, sympathy etched in his eyes he quickly caught up to his queen.

“If I would have known, I would have never left.”

“Why are you here?” Swiftly with precision, her heel turned her round, her black veil shielding her anger when she asked the question. It has been driving her mad, the moment she opened her eyes to see the blue eyed knight that is considered in high honor by her husband left unannounced for some unconventional duties and when she asked Charles, he only responded that Thomas is doing his job.

Still despite the sheer material blurring part of her vision, the blasted sun pierced through letting the light through and admitted her eyes to see the man before her. Regret filled his features keeping a safe and respectable distance between him and the queen.

Thomas sighed explaining his situation, “Your Grace had ordered me to seek counsel with Riverstone, and he suspected something from the House of Dane. For precaution, I left months early to reach my destination and return before you departed-”

“Yet that wasn’t the case.” She muttered, “Riverstone does not think kindly of us, why would you reach for assistance from them and not my people back in the North.” She couldn’t comprehend how such irrational thoughts came from her husband and to send one of his best men, the surprise attack would have made a difference if most of their best knights attended.

“No, it wasn’t. They refused and knowing my king well I refused to leave until I convince them otherwise.”

“And did they? Change their minds?” Deep inside she knew the answer, if it were true there would be a herd of soldiers plastered in Riverstone colors in their kingdom. Thomas arrived solo and seeing him casually dressed in dark Earth colors did not suit him. “You should be wearing nicer garments. These are rubbish.”

Thomas stifled a laugh, only she will try to divert the subject after so long. Hansa never lingered long with a topic and if there is ever a day that she last more than a few exchanges he wanted to be there to witness it. “I don’t think it’s proper for me to wear such extravagant clothing while on the watch of my queen.”

“The House of Dane would never dare set foot here; they know that my Northern family will come to aid us and as for Riverstone…I wouldn’t be surprised if they knew what those traitorous snakes were up to.” With the sun beating down on her black garmented form, she ached for shade. Taking long quick strides to the nearest tree, she sat on the ground spreading the skirts of her dress around her.

“Answer me this,” Thomas’ attention turned to her as he took a seat next to her within safe distance. “Do you think anyone will attempt to overthrow me? It’s almost unheard of for a woman to rule on her own and when her husband passes away, the advisors usually partake in a quest to find another suitable king.”

Declining that anyone will try to overthrow her, he always prepared himself for the worse and calculating how their king that filled every person with pride and hope dashed away by a blade drew concern. The queen has proven herself to be a kind and just advisor giving her input on certain events, helping improve the settlements of concerned villagers and telling her closest advisor her thoughts on a matter.

“You are the leader of this kingdom, my lady, there is no other that will take your place or force you to remarry to sustain your position. The people trust you.” He trusted her and with her face unknown to him at the moment he could feel the uncertainty come around her like a force field.

Hansa tightly wound her finger in the laces of her dress, releasing the stressful situation at hand. She concluded, “As much as I distaste most of the councilmen, I must speak with them.” There are only a few that she truly trusted and more than she did not. Because of her gender she is underestimated daily and the scrutiny she receives from the council of advisors never seem to wane.

“Very well.” Thomas nodded taking careful steps behind her as she ordered one of her another to assembly the meeting. Sitting in the quarters where decisions took place haunted her, sending inconsolable chills down her spine.

The eerie feeling that taken place lingered, death spoke in volumes as she stood awkwardly by the table. She is aware of her placement in the seating, but as of now, the current queen and sole ruler of this country, she will take her husband’s place. No woman has ever taken that seat, actually she can revoke that considering her and Charles spent numerous nights in this place.

A bittersweet smile lingered on her lips, grateful no one can observe her expressions. It didn’t take long for the council to arrive, “Greeting fellow councilmen.” The soft murmurs didn’t go unnoticed as they greeted her back with the exception of a few that bowed her to respectfully.

Turning to her knight, she dismissed him. He quietly left the room, turning his head slightly to see that she still stood refusing to seat in her station.

When the door creaked, shutting tightly, her eyes darted across the room.

“Are you going to sit, my lady?” Thaddeus, her most trusted friend questioned, the small encouragement to take her place is needed.

Hansa nodded feeling the burning eyes of the men around her as her body sat on the soft regal chair. “Shall we start?”

“Yes, I am rather curious as to why you seek us. Are you not mourning for the loss of your king?” Luther, a snide subtle remark fell from his lips. The older man sat proudly in his seat, on the left side of her because of his high position, white hair neatly combed and piercing blue eyes narrowing in judgment. Most if not all the men sitting before her were wise beyond her years.

Feeling understated, she replied, “My heart still bleeds, but I must maintain the safety and regulations of the kingdom. The funeral will take place in a few days. I need the reassurance from my council that you will stand by me as you did my husband.”

“We stay true to you, my queen.” Fredrick assured one of the few that truly did believe in her. His soft features were out of place compared to the others, harsh, stoic features the others have while his held optimism in every feat.

Hansa still turned towards the others wanting to hear the same words emitting from their mouth; knowing they will lie between their teeth, she must hear those words. One at a time the men grumbled, murmured or dejectedly uttered the same words. When it came to Luther, the stubborn man of them all, he said, “I stay true to the kingdom.”

Tension rose quickly as the older man glared at Thaddeus when he pressed that he must say the same words as promised. “I shall speak of no such, you ape.”

“I will not tolerate insults, councilmen. I may carry a heavy heart, but I will punish those who go against me.” The thin lips of Luther curled in a snarl as he scoffed in dismay, despising that such a savage will rule his kingdom and he knew she will not get rid of him, not yet.

Silence bit the air, her eyes circling around them. “How can I trust a ruler that hides their face?” Another voice entered the conversation as she turned her attention to them. The same features matched Luther’s, Hansa reminded him of her culture and in mourning she shall not show her face. Promising she will reveal herself in less than thirty days, she adjourned the meeting.

Standing up, the men stood up in respect as she walked out of the room more troubled than before. The steady steps of her knight soon followed her. After walking down the corridor she noticed small things such as distrust in her servants’ eyes or whispers before they suddenly grew quiet when she passed.

Hansa couldn’t stand it any longer as she dashed to a place of privacy. The echoing footsteps of Thomas irked her as he questioned her wellbeing.

“Why would you ask such a question when you already know the answer?” She bit back, holding her ground she slid down to one of the bookshelves gazing at the carved initials of her and her former beloved. A watery smile appeared as she remembered the time he courted her within those few days, he whisked her away for privacy to come about this place that they soon called their own.

Charles always had that wickedly charming smile, dashing good looks for his distinguished age and almost childlike when he was around her. He swore to always be with her and carving their letters onto the wooden shelf, he claimed it as their own spot for relaxation.

Her fingertips wedged against the grooves of his initials, her mind wandered, “Will they ever respect me?” The deafening inquiry lingered, concern dousing the two of them, the heels of his boots clapped along the wooden floor.

“I have to say it’s a possibility, but if they were to give you any trouble and hold no respect for you then I suggest you seek new advisors that approve of you and set in your values.” Formality has always been stuck with her and when she is stern she still respected others to an extent.

“That would be foolish to do, Ser Thomas. Replacing them will be no good; if I am to gain respect and trust from everyone then I shall do what I can with what I have. Thankfully Thaddeus, Fredrick and a few others are by my side.” As she sat there she realized something, she isn’t forced to have Thomas by her side, she admitted him and she can quickly dismiss him.

When she voiced her command not wanting Thomas to linger in her shadow, Thomas refuted, “I mean no disrespect, but I refuse to leave your side.” His voice held softness, something that she rarely heard anymore yet his eyes are firm with certainty.

“Why?” Her confidence shifted feeling like a small child when one of her most respected knights disobeying her, if he is able to then so will everyone else.

“Because,” He kneeled in front of her his eyes gazing through her veil as if he saw right through her. “I made a promise that I am going to keep.” Her heart that day grew bigger at his devotion and for a moment she didn’t feel as alone as she did the first day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Hansa she is going through so much and now going to support a kingdom on her own with little help from her advisors.

Thank you BlueDreams and kittkatt6661 for your lovely message.