Door to Darkness

Twelve

The information didn't stick with her. She had just woken up, and had very little time to dwell on it: Alice had a mission. She knew of herself as a memory and thought invader as well as a Dream Traveler, and hoped that her plan would work.

With great difficulty Alice stretched her mind out to Fenrir and leaned against her door; she didn't want Finnian involved then. Help, Fenrir. She felt him stir slightly at the gentle thought, and tried again. This time he reacted strongly to the invasion of his mind. The connection between the two was forcibly cut off by him, and Alice felt that all hope was lost, slumping against the door.

Twenty minutes later there was a knock and Fenrir asked, "Alice, are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine; but Finnian isn't," Alice said. She stood up straight and rested against the door. "I need your help."

"I don't care about that bastard," Fenrir mumbled. "We were friends once, but he..."

"Please; something terrible will happen," she begged, and the fairy came to float beside her.

"What would we even be able to do for him?" Fenrir asked. "He's the all-powerful ruler of this land; he should be able to take care of himself."

"There's a man- Drevin Boudevard-"

"A very nice man," Fenrir interrupted.

"He's not so nice actually," Alice sighed. "He plans to take Finnian's throne."

"Good; it's about time someone knocked him off his high horse," he said.

"Not good!" Alice disagreed. "If Drevin takes over- if he obtains the seat of power... Fenrir, if Finnian dies- well, Drevin is just bad news, okay?"

"How do you even know this?"

"How do you not know?" Alice hit the door lightly. "Look, you have to trust me, please."

"Trust the girl who calls me bunny man?" Alice couldn't help but laugh at that. "Yeah, no way." She heard his footsteps being to retreat.

"Please, Fenrir! I'm sorry!" she beat against the door again.

When he returned he asked, "How do I even let you out of the room? Finnian has it enchanted."

"Leave that to me," Alice said. "I may be quiet for a long while, but please don't go anywhere. I need your help; I really do."

"What is it that you need my help with again?" Fenrir sighed.

"I was told that Drevin has an object that is draining Finnian of his energy," Alice replied and sat before the door. "I need your help finding it and destroying it."

"Do you even know what it looks like?"

"I don't," Alice said, though she felt she would know it when she saw it. "Please wait here."

Fenrir gave an unhappy groan in reply. With that Alice closed her eyes and focused. If she could slip into Finnian's mind, maybe she could find some sort of a switch and get the door open without him noticing. This was not going to be an easy task.

She remembered what to expect and was prepared when she entered the crushing darkness. Rather than setting her fingers alight, she focused on making her eyes capable of seeing through the dark. Strange creatures and faces passed her as she walked along, each trying to grab at her and throw her off course. Where would she find the switch- if there even was one?

Several areas within Finnian's mind lit up then, and Alice jumped. He was searching for something. At one point she could see him directly across from her, enjoying tea with Fenrir and a couple of other unfamiliar faces. Then he was running, breathless, and seemingly almost human.

Alice did her best to avoid the random areas of light and continued along. Occasionally a shiver would run up her spine and she could hear terrifying laughter somewhere off in the distance. Soon enough something glittering caught her eye; she threw her fears aside and ran over to it.

A stirring could be felt, and then a strange pressure weighed on her mind: Finnian was aware of her presence. She hurried over to what revealed itself to be a lever. This was what would allow her to open her bedroom door; she could feel it.

"Alice," Finnian said, suddenly appearing behind her. "There you are, little Dream Walker. What are you-" He froze as he saw what she was reaching toward. "No, Alice, you cannot."

"I'm sorry, but I have to," she turned to him as she pulled and broke the lever. The look of betrayal on his face pained her. "I"m not working with Drevin, I promise. I"m trying to help you."

"I am coming to you," he said before fading away.

Alice fought hard to pull herself out of his mind; he was trying desperately to keep her there. Finnian did not want her to leave. She pushed harder though and eventually broke free, stumbling dizzily to her feet. She pushed the door open and was caught in Fenrir's arms.

"We have to hurry, Finnian's on his way," she said, leading him away from the room.

"What did you do?" Fenrir asked as he helped her walk. Astonishment was written all over his face.

"I forced the door open the only way I could," Alice said. "I invaded his mind and he very obviously didn't like that."

"You'll never cease to surprise me," the rabbit-eared man sighed and shook his head.

"You must have some faith in me," Alice laughed breathlessly.

"Oh, yes," Fenrir agreed. "But very little."

"Do you have any idea where Drevin might be staying?" Fenrir froze at the question. He turned Alice toward him and rested his hands on her shoulders.

"I know exactly where his quarters are," he said. He didn't seem happy about the knowledge.

"Where?"

"Outside of the castle," Fenrir straightened, draping his arm back over her shoulders.

"Then we should get going," Alice nodded and lead him along.

"Ah-ah, I'll lead," Fenrir gave her an odd look and they took a left turn. "It won't be easy, Alice. There will be things trying to stop us at every turn now that you've angered Finnian. And who knows where he'll even be coming from. If he catches us, we're doomed- mission over. We'll need your powers to even exit the castle, and you don't even seem up to the challenge."

"I'm prepared," Alice said, holding the tiny fairy against her body; it had slipped into her night gown while she was in Finnian's mind.

"Alright," Fenrir decided to trust her.