Door to Darkness

Thirteen

They had managed to avoid getting caught for the past twenty minutes, but as Alice and Fenrir walked they could see the halls growing darker, even if they were brightly lit. It felt as if the walls were watching them. Alice shuddered at the thought of the castle being alive.

"So, what happened in there- in Finnian's mind?" Fenrir asked. "What weakened you so?"

"He tried to trap m in there," Alice replied. She no longer leaned on him for support- her strength was coming back to her. "It took all of my energy to break free. I didn't think I had that much power in me; the object must be severely weakening him."

"That must be so," he sighed and continued to lead the way through the winding halls. "We should reach an exit soon. How can we be sure we've found the object when we do if you don't know what it looks like?"

"I'll be able to feel it," she said, gently patting her nightgown where the fairy hid. Fenrir watched the motion, noticing the strange lump.

"What are you hiding there?" he raised an eyebrow. Confused for a moment Alice gave him an odd look, then she followed his gaze to the creature she cradled against her side.

"Oh," she gasped. "Something truly special."

"Is that how you know all of these things?" Fenrir chuckled. "What is it, seriously?"

"It's a fairy," Alice smiled as she spoke. "Finnian gave it to me as a gift: the white fairy. She has given me visions, and helped me to remember who I am."

"You know where you come from now?" he stopped and looked her in the eye. Pain tugged at Alice's heart at the memories of her life, and then there was anger when she thought of Drevin.

"I do, and it's a time and world so different from this place," she said. She grasped his shoulder lightly. "I'd like to show it to you."

"I wouldn't belong there," Fenrir smiled sadly and touched his hears. "They would shun someone like me."

"We'll hid them," Alice said. She also gently touched his ears; they twitched as she did so. "There are such things as hats. And as magic exists, I'm sure we can find other ways to mask them."

Fenrir grasped her fingers gently. "I fear that Finnian will not let me out of his service. He's bent on revenge; he wants to kill the king of hell. Even I should want to, he is who condemned us to this land."

"Then we need to find some other way to escape," Alice said. "Without Finnian."

"How are we to do that? The place is sealed by Lucifer's magic." Fenrir pulled her hands from his ears, but continued to hold onto them.

"It's not so tightly sealed anymore," Alice smiled and gripped his hands with excitement. "I got in, remember? And Finnian said mine wasn't the only door that opened up."

"But we don't know- we can't predict when and where the doors will appear," Fenrir shook his head at her. "You're crazy, Alice."

"We have to try. And we have to keep this a secret from Finnian. Now come on, we have an object to destroy," Alice pulled her hands from his. But he held onto one once more after, gently squeezing.

"Alright, come on," he nodded and pulled her along. Alice stared at their linked hands, letting hers just rest limply in his for a moment, and then she slipped her fingers between his. Fenrir gave another squeeze as she held onto him.

"Here we are," Fenrir said once they stopped. They stood in front of a rather large window on what looked like the second floor, which opened to a barren wasteland. A winding dirt road lead to a small village in the distance.

Alice released Fenrir's hand and pressed her hands against the glass, asking, "You expect me to jump from here?"

"I'll be the one jumping," he said and he rubbed his hands together. "You just need to get it open."

She undid the latch and attempted to push the window open, but it wouldn't budge. "Then how will I get out?"

"I'll carry you," he nodded, grinning like an idiot.

"What!? Then we'll both end up injured, or worse!" She stepped back from the window, raising her hands out in front of her. "And you are not holding me."

"It's your turn to trust me," he said, his ears twitching with irritation. "Now hurry and get that window open."

An angry roar echoed through the castle as she pressed her fingers to the glass once more. Finnian must have just found her room empty. She panicked a little, pressing harder.

"I don't know how I-" but as she spoke her fingertips glowed and the glass disappeared. She would have stumbled through it if Fenrir hadn't caught her and lifted her into his arms, carrying her bridal style, and jumping hastily from the new opening in the castle.

"Hold on tight! Geronimo!" he yelled. Alice screamed and clung to him, feeling like she might be sick. Their journey through the air was soon over though. "We're alive, you can open your eyes now."

"Oh," Alice said- she hadn't even realized her eyes had been shut. She shook as Fenrir set her down, and he held her hand again.

"Come on, his dwelling is that way," he said, pointing toward the village off in the distance.

"I don't think we can get there on foot before Finnian catches us," she said. The little fairy flew out of the top of her nightgown, flying about in dizzy circles. It must have been shaken up by the sudden fall as well.

"I'll solve that problem," Fenrir said. He brought his fingers to his lips and whistled loudly. Within moments a horse had trotted over, and Alice admired how tall and beautiful the creature was.

"There's only one," she said.

"You'll be riding with me," Fenrir grinned as he climbed up onto the horse. He held his hand out to her.

"How did you know it would be here?" she asked and allowed the fairy to cling to her shoulder. Alice took his hand and he helped her up onto the horse so that she was seated in front of him.

"Finnian used to let us out of the palace," his breath tickled her neck and ear. "This is Morgana- a dear, old friend of mine. Hyah!" He kicked the horse's side and with that they were off.

Alice held tightly onto Fenrir's arms as he guided the horse along, and he chuckled. Once again his breath tickled her skin, raising goose-flesh as the rode.

"What?" she asked, covering and scratching at her neck.

"You're scared of horses, or at least of riding on one," he said.

"Not as funny as a bunny man riding a horse," she muttered, staring darkly at the ground they passed over.

"Hey!" Fenrir exclaimed, jerking the horse's reigns slightly. Alice squeaked as the horse lifted its head and whinnied. "Promise to never call me that again!" he demanded through laughter at her unease.

"Fin, I promise; I promise! Please don't do that again!" she cried, placing her arms behind her and holding onto him.

"Good; I promise," he said.

He leaned into her and she could feel his smile against the back of her head. She thought of all the times Finnian would leave Fenrir to watch over her, and how they would bicker, but they were fun times even so. She was fond of him even if he frustrated her.

Rumbling could be heard, and Alice looked to the sky. A storm was rolling in as they approached the village, causing the world to grow darker. No doubt it was caused by Finnian's fury.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two in one day, although really the previous chapter was written yesterday and only typed up just today. I'm on a roll though: four in the same week! Time to take a break; I feel fried.