Door to Darkness

Nine

The field of flowers she sat in was bright due to the shining sun. It actually felt real there, compared to how cold sunlight felt in the strange world she had stumbled into. At least she could remember what sunlight had felt like where she had come from.

Strange scenes would pass before her eyes; things she knew yet didn't know. A face or two would appear that she recognized. Who were they though; who did they belong to? Alice couldn't place names with the faces.

A man appeared then- a man she did know. She knew he wasn't just a random passing memory though. He was really there: Drevin.

"So this is your mind," he said, sitting down. He wore trousers with his tank top this time, and Alice was glad for it. "It's so peaceful here."

"I guess it is," Alice said, looking over to where there was a looming darkness off in the distance. "There's something over that way though, and it's getting closer." Drevin followed her gaze.

"I wonder what it could be," he said, sitting next to her. It grew even darker over where they looked, and Alice had to avert her gaze.

"I'm terrified of whatever it is," she mumbled as she stared at the daisies surrounding her. "I don't want it to come here." She pulled her knees up to her chest.

"Whether or not you want it to, it'll be here in time," Drevin said. He placed a comforting hand on Alice's shoulder. "You're going to have to face it. Now it could be anything; perhaps it's all of your forgotten memories. Maybe it's something much darker than that."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," she pushed his hand away. He nodded in understanding, allowing his hand to drop back to his side, and he looked up at the sky. "How do we do it?"

"Do what?" he asked, looking at her again.

"How do we enter other people's minds?" she said. "You especially. You said I was a witch, but you're a Shadow. Aren't your powers supposed to be different?"

"I'm one of the original Shadows," Drevin smiled sadly. "I'm not a thing Finnian created to keep himself company. No, I was born a witch with a bit of demon's blood in me. An ancestor of mine was a demon. Anyway, you and I, Alice, are not ordinary witches."

"We're not?" Her eyebrows furrowed at the information.

"No, and I suspect you are a descendant of mine. We can travel through to the dreams and minds of others. We-"

"Reina," Alice interrupted.

"Pardon?" Drevin said. He looked at her then with a pain in his eye that made Alice regret even speaking.

"She was your lover..." Alice looked away then, not being able to bare his look. "But the name sounds familiar for a different reason."

"We did have children," Drevin nodded, staring off into the distance as his eyes glazed over. "As I said, I do believe you are a descendant of mine. The demon blood was apparently weeded out, though obviously the family fell out with witches as well."

"So, we can enter each other's thoughts because of these powers?" She relaxed a little, allowing her legs to slide back into the grass. "Because we're... witches?"

"Keepers of dreams and memories; that sort of thing," Drevin nodded, smiling again.

"How old are you? How come Finnian isn't old-looking like you are?" Alice straightened up a little as the questions left her.

"I'm far older than Finnian," Drevin chuckled. "Though he is also still an original. He was going to marry my great-great-great-great-great granddaughter."

"Mary," she breathed. She wondered if he knew what Finnian had done to her.

"Yes, Mary," his smile was very fond in that moment. "But she's long gone now, succumbed to old age. Hopefully she found a suitable husband."

Alice's heart fell to her stomach. He didn't know. And she wouldn't tell him; she couldn't be the one to tell him. Finnian would have to speak with Drevin himself, but did Finnian even know that Mary was related to the older man? He must have known. The world they lived in was so different back then.

"Hopefully," Alice nodded. Hopefully he wouldn't read her thoughts and find out through her.

"Right, I should tell you how to slip into the thoughts of another person," Drevin said. He stood then, and Alice watched him warily. "Simply think of the person, and will your thoughts into theirs."

"I want to-" Alice stopped herself. What she was about to say felt dangerous.

"You want to visit Finnian, and view his thoughts," Drevin said for her. The words made her shiver- both from excitement and from fear.

"I do," she whispered, and stood as well. He might have been short for a man, but he still managed to be taller than Alice. She smiled at that.

"I'll leave you to it then," he smiled back at her. "Good luck, Alice. Finnian's mind is a dangerous one." With that Drevin faded from the field; from Alice's thoughts.

She sighed and sat back down. With her hands balled into fists in her lap, she closed her eyes tightly and concentrated. Finnian, she thought, I want to see Finnian.

Within moments the field around her melted away, replaced by darkness. This was no ordinary darkness: it was the ever-consuming pitch black that Finnian carried with him wherever he went. Alice had to try very hard to convince herself not to turn back.

She looked down to her feet. If she truly was a witch, she should have been capable of producing some sort of light. Slowly she unfurled her fingers, lifting her hands to either side of her and reaching out in the darkness. Light; give me light.

And then it happened: a tiny light sparked from her fingertips. She laughed, pulling her fingers closer to her face, and her excitement caused the light to fade.

"No; don't do that!" she complained. As she exhaled the light came back, her fingertips glowing warmly with it.

"What are you doing here?" Finnian's voice echoed through the darkness.

Alice gasped and looked around, though he was nowhere in sight. Another shiver of fear ran up her spine and she fought to keep herself there. Pain started in her head.

"Mary," he whispered. "Coming to haunt me again?"

She wondered if she should tell him who she was. What would he do to her if he found out? Would he hurt her anyway, still convinced she was Mary?

Finnian appeared before her then. He wore an olive short-sleeved shirt, and grey sweatpants. The light danced weakly about her fingers as she froze. It only took a moment for Finnian to realize that she was not Mary, and he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Alice," he said. He just stood there, taking her in. "Alice, you cannot be here; it is not safe."

She took a careful step back as he approached her. He didn't seem angry that she was there, only concerned for her well-being. Even so Alice couldn't decide whether or not to trust that he wouldn't hurt her.

"Please, Finnian," she said quietly, raising her hands in front of her protectively. Finnian frowned at the sight.

"I will not hurt you, Alice," he whispered. He closed the gap between them, drawing her into his arms. "I could not hurt you. You are the key to breaking free of this prison, and you look too much like her."

Something painful twitched within Alice's heart, but she felt confused as to why it had occurred. What he said shouldn't have hurt her; though she did feel as if she was nothing but a thing to be used.

Finnian took her face gently in his hands then, tilting her head up. His eyes looked normal- as they had in the first part of the memory Alice had accessed. Alice's head was beginning to really hurt.

"I will protect you," he whispered. He bent toward her then, resting his forehead to hers. "Now get out of my head, you Dream Walker."

Waves of crushing pain rolled through her head, and her vision turned white. Suddenly she was back in her own bed.

"Finnian?" she whispered, but she was no longer in his presence.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is beginning to turn into some stupid, mushy romance story. Ew. I also reread a couple chapters from Dipped in Crimson- where Finnian dies- and found that I've seriously rewritten some of the things that have happened to Finnian. I can write it off as Lucifer being seriously misinformed.