Heart It Races

Eleven

"I'm home!" I called walking to the kitchen, following the smell of popcorn. When I entered both my dad and Veronica were standing around making some sort of smoothie.

"Hey girlie, I haven't seen you in a while!" Veronica squealed pulling me into a hug, "I've missed you!"

"I know! I've missed you too!" I hugged her back, wishing I could replace all memories of my mom with her.

"How was camping?" My dad asked hugging me too.

'It was fun! We had a good time." I felt my smile widen at the thought of the trip. My conversations with Michael, and the way our hands felt together.

"Well that's good. I'm gonna go set up the movie." He excused himself, leaving V and I alone. She had that look in her eye, the one she got when she was on to something.

"What?" I asked dumbly as she continued to stare.

"Which one is it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Which one are you crushing on?"

I put my hands over my face, trying to hide the blush creeping up my cheeks, "Am I that obvious?"

"Just a little!" She laughed.

"His name is Michael."

"The one with the hair?"

"Yeah, the one with the hair." I let out a small giggle.

"He's cute."

"You've met them?"

"Briefly the other day while they were recording. You were out, grocery shopping I think."

My phone buzzed violently on the counter.

"Is that him already?" She eyed me smugly.

I looked at the caller ID, wondering why he would be calling me already to see it wasn't him, or any of the boys.

"It's my grandmother."

"Your grandmother? She passed away years ago didn't she?"

"My mom's mom. I'm gonna take this, I'll come down to watch the movie when I'm done."

She nodded and I excused myself to my room.

"Hello?"

Although my grandma and I were close we hadn't spoken in about a month, I had called a few times but there was never an answer, without explanation, so I was surprised.

"Hi sweetheart! How are you?"

"I'm good?" The words came out as a question. The conversation was so casual, as if she hadn't completely cut me off before.

"That's good to hear. I assume you've been asked about Thanksgiving?"

"Yeah."

"So, are you coming?"

"You haven't talked to me in awhile." I blurted.

She sighed loudly on the other end.

"Oh sweet pea!" She was crying and my heart lurched imagining her old wrinkled hand wiping tears from her eyes. "I'm so sorry! Things have been strange around here. I've missed you so much and I'd really like to see you."

"It's fine, Gran." Her tears broke me.

"So you'll come?"

"I don't know... My mom and I- I don't want to see her."

I couldn't imagine staying with my mom for a whole week. It would only be filled with awkward stares and judging glances, especially now that she's remarried.

"You can stay with me, you'll only have to see her on Thanksgiving! Please come it would make me so happy!"

Why was she trying so hard?

"Is everything alright, Gran?"

"Oh yes honey, everything is fine! I just want you to come. We'll have so much fun! We can go to that park you like so much and I'll make you french toast every morning, you can even bring a friend if you want, and we can go to the movies a few times, it will be fun!"

My heart began to ache, not only for her but for me, I missed her and the time we used to spend together, plus I would only have to see my mom at Thanksgiving dinner, the rest of my time would be spent hanging with Gran, "Okay, I'll come."

"Oh joy! I can't wait to see you! I miss you so much!"

"Me too, I'm sure it will be fun." Her happiness made me smile.

"Let me know when you've booked your flight so I can arrange to pick you up."

"I will."

"Alright sweetheart, I love you."

"I love you too."

Then the line went dead. My stomach churned slightly at the thought of going back to Colorado, but I convinced myself that it was for Gran, and for her to try so hard to get me there it must've meant a lot to her.

I went back downstairs taking a seat on the recliner, some action move already playing. I would tell my dad about my decision later.

***

"Good news boys, I got you a spot, Thursday at eight, he said be there an hour or two before to set up and everything, I'll text Aspen the directions." Colton informed us as we sat at lunch, he had blown off German this morning and probably just shown up.

"No way! That's awesome man thanks!" Calum cheered excitedly.

"No biggie," he then turned to look at me and I crossed my fingers hoping he wouldn't say anything I didn't want to the boys to know. "You'll be at the show right?"

I nodded.

"We should chill."

"Sounds good!"

"Well I'll see you guys later." He excused himself walking off.

"He's a strange guy." Luke voiced.

"Cool, but strange." Mike agreed.

***

"Are you okay?" Michael asked gently, wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me into him. We were alone in the house, the rest of the boys out in the studio, working on lyrics while Mike helped me make snacks for them.

"I'm fine, why do you ask?"

He shrugged resting his chin on top of my head, "You've just been quiet today."

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, Oh."

"Well if you don't tell me what's wrong I'm going to have to ask every person in town until I get the answer so I know who to beat up. Is it that Brandon kid because I will not hesitate to punch him." He joked.

"No." I gave an airy laugh.

"Then tell me what's wrong." He begged.

"It's not important, it's stupid actually." It's not that I didn't want to tell him, I just didn't want to dump it all on him after telling him about my mom yesterday.

"Well it can't be stupid if it's bothering you this much."

"I told my Gran I'd go to Colorado for Thanksgiving and it's stressing me out, having to see my mom and her new family and everything, then there will be my aunts and uncles and I'm not sure how they feel about me, it's going to be awkward and I don't really want to go, but I feel like I have to."

He was quiet for a few beats before he spoke, "Just go in there and show all of them how much better you are without them, don't let them make you feel less."

He was right, that is what I should do, but actually doing it is better said than done.

"Are you going to homecoming?" He asked, us still embracing.

"I don't know, maybe, it depends." My heart jumped, hoping this was his intro to asking me to go with him, but when he said nothing else after I figured it wasn't.