Heart It Races

Four

"Come to our house!" Michael ordered, walking out of the studio. They were songwriting now, but it was Friday so they were done for the week.

"What's in it for me?"

"We can go swimming!" Ashton said, butting into the conversation.

"Hmmm..." I pretend to think although I had already made up my mind, "okay!"

"Yeah! Party!" They cheered, one of them picking me up and swinging me around.

I jogged upstairs, going to get my swimsuit.

I closed the door, letting my mind travel to the silvery lines, the lines I got after her, the her that lead to everything that was wrong with my life now. I stopped my mind from going any further, I didn't want to rehash it. I grabbed a pair of cotton shorts, they would cover it.

Quickly I pulled my swimsuit on, along with the shorts, throwing a shirt on. I grabbed a bag, shoving in a change of clothes and my phone.

"Shotgun!" I yelled running out to the rental car the boys had.

Once everyone was in, Ashton pulled out of the driveway and we were on our way. The drive was short but fun, complete with a rousing game of "I Spy".

The house they were staying in was nice, very big, and modern.

They ushered me inside and upon walking into the living room I saw a woman reading a book.

"Mom!" Luke called to her from next to me, "This is Aspen."

She stood smiling, "Hi! It's nice to meet you! I'm Liz!"

"It's nice to meet you too."

"You're Adam's daughter right?"

"Yeah! I-"

"We're gonna go out our trunks on." Luke interrupted leaving me to chat with his mom.

"You go to Richmond right?"

"Yes, so I'll be able to show them around and stuff. "

"Good, and make sure to keep them focused they have the attention span of Kindergartners!" She exclaimed, making me laugh.

"I will don't worry!"

"You have my full permission to smack them around if they need it. "

"No you do not!" Ashton objected coming into the room.

A soft rumble was heard before the other three boys tumbled into the room, jumping and hoping all over each other.

"Come on Vendler! It's time to swim!" Mike yelled charging at me full speed. His arms wrapped around me, pulling me into his pale chest as my feet were lifted from the ground and I was involuntarily being moved to what I assumed to be the back door.

"Michael your middle name Clifford! Do not throw me in!" I screeched at the water came into view.

"Or what?" He taunted.

"I'll kill you!" An empty threat, but he was still running.

"At least let me put my bag down first!"

He expertly grabbed it from me, still not allowing my feet to touch the ground, tossing it into one of the chairs.

When we came to the edge, I braced myself to leave his arms and fall into the cool water, but, was surprised when he jumped in, still holding on to me. I surfaced, giggling, and shoving Michael back under, kicking my feet the whole time.

I took off the shirt I had been wearing, now soaked, throwing it on to the edge just as three more bodies leaped in.

"What the hell is that?" I laughed swimming over to a white plastic form floating in the water.

"Oh, that's ketchup! Our dog!" Calum informed as I picked him up.

"You guys are fuckin' weird."

"You like it." Calum wiggled his eyebrows. He was right, their weirdness is one of the things I found most entertaining about them.

Michael swam over to me, now in a lime green inner tube.

"You want in?" He asked scooting to one side.

I swam into it, latching my arms around next to his.

"It's Gordon by the way."

"What?"

"My middle name."

I smiled at him, enjoying the personal information, "Mine's May."

"Aspen May Vendler, I like it."

"Why thank you Michael Gordon Clifford."

I swam away from him, going to see what the other boys were doing.

"Don't leave me!" He jutted out his bottom lip.

"Come with me!"

"Where are you going?"

"I don't know." I stuck my tongue out at him.

He swam over, splashing me in the process.

The sun was beginning to set the pool light coming on as we continued to swim around. It began to get cooler and we migrated to the hot tub. It was probably in the low seventies, but the water soaking my hair involuntarily made me shiver.

"Are you cold?" Michael mocked pinching my cheeks, but putting his arm around my shoulder in an attempt to warm me anyway. His wet skin was slick against my own, still radiating heat on to me, undecidedly from his body, or the idea of his arms around me.

"You're shivering...in a hot tub?" Ashton chimed.

"My hair is cold!" I defended leaning into Michael's warm chest as it vibrated with laughter.

"Let's play a game!" Calum suggested.

"What kind of game?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Truth or Dare, but no truths."

"That's a bit juvenile don't you think?"

"Don't kill my vibe! You're either in or a chicken!" He smirked.

"Fine, let's play then."

"Alright Asp, I dare you to..." He thought for a moment, "To call the third person in the 'B' section of your contacts and seduce them."

"That's stupid!"

"No it's not, you're just a chicken."

"Am not!" I called climbing out of the warm water to grab my phone out of my bag.

I sat on the edge, letting my feet dangle in the water, hoping some of the heat would return to my body.

I began scrolling through my contacts before Calum interjected, saying he would pick it because he didn't want me to cheat. I rolled my eyes, but complied.

"Brandon!" he informed, "this should be interesting."

I was scared now, but I wouldn't show it. This was sure to end embarrassing on my behalf. He was cruel and rude and perverted, and just overall revolting, it was hard to believe we had ever been friends before he decided he wanted more from me. We had been close for about two months before he first showed interest, and it only escalated from there. Months of unwanted innuendos and butt touching, he even went as far as trying to put his hand down my pants once during an assembly. An absolute pig.

It rung, making everyone quiet, all eyes on me. Once... Twice... Three times... "Aspen?"

He sounded surprised, and rightfully so seeing how I had vowed to never talk to him again after what happened in June. I shuddered at the thought.

"Yeah, um, hey... What are you doing?"

It was awkward between us, and I think it was obvious to the boys.

"I'm not doing anything baby, but I could be doing you if you're down for that." He propositioned.

My eyes widened involuntarily at his unprovoked crassness.

"Ummm... no I don't think-"

"You could handle it? Don't worry I'll be easy on you." I could hear the smirk in his voice making me want to climb through the phone and strangle him.

This lighthearted dare had turned unnecessarily serious as he taunted me.

"Just think of all the things I could do to you, just imagine me-"

Before he could finish, the phone was ripped from my hands, call ended, and thrust back onto the chair.

My eyes met Michael's, questioning him as I slipped back into the pool, "Sorry, he was too cocky, I didn't like him." He answered with red cheeks.

"Okay, whatever man, but you just ruined Asp's dare, so you suck!" Calum exclaimed splashing water at him, but missed getting me right in the face.

"Well don't take it out on her!" He splashed Calum back, coming to my defense.

"I think his punishment should be that he has to go next!" I blurted.

"Fine, fine! I'll go, just come back over here you were keeping me warm." He whined pulling me by the waist into his side.

"I dare you to..." I paused looking over at the boys deciding which would be most compliant, "give Calum a lap dance."

"Yeah! Bring it on Mikey!" Calum cackled opening his arms.

He shook his head, still smiling, as he moved away from me and onto Cal.

"Where's the music?!" He complained.

Ashton took it upon himself to beat box some sexual sounding tune, adding a "bow chicka wow wow" here and there.

Michael swayed and attempted to roll his hips, moving the water with them as Calum laughed, hollering "Oh yeah! Do it like that!"

"How long do I have to do this for?"

"Until the song's over."

"Ashton don't forget I know where you sleep." He threatened, staring pointedly at him.

Ash continued his jam for another minute or so before finally stopping, much to Mike's appreciation.

"I want to dare Luke!" Ash demanded before anyone else could.

"Oh God!" Luke moaned running a hand through his hair.

"It's nothing bad! I dare you to talk in a Russian accent for the rest of the day!"

"What the hell is with you and Russian accents lately?" Mike howled.

"I just like them! There is nothing wrong with that! What's so wrong about liking a foreign tongue?"

"Woah! Calm down dude!"

"Well, I'm just saying!"

For the rest of the game Luke attempted a Russian accent which was absolutely terrible and I stayed comfortable nestled in Michael's arms.

***

"Mikey, do you know what you're doing?" I wondered out loud, sitting on the counter.

He was scrambling around the kitchen pulling ingredients out. Ashton had gone to Skype his family, Luke and Calum had gone to the store with Liz to buy some school supplies for Monday, leaving Michael and I to make dinner, which quickly turned into Michael playing chef while I watched as he repeatedly assured me of his culinary genius.

"Yes Asp! Don't worry, I could be like a five star chef if the band thing doesn't work out."

"What are you making anyway?"

"Cheese toasties." he smiled.

I almost cooed at his cuteness, watching as he leaned over the stove putting the bread in the pan, his tongue daring out to lick his lips as he placed a slice of cheese on each piece in obvious concentration, trying to make it perfect. His hair was still damp, as was mine, adding a raw look to him.

"I'm makin' a cheese toastie, I'm makin' a cheese toastie." He mumbled walking to put the cheese away.

Our dinner was complete and put on plates.

I hopped down, following him to the living room, sitting on the couch next to him. He placed the plate in my lap grabbing the TV remote.

"What should we watch?" He opened Netflix.

"Hmm... I don't know."

"What TV shows do you watch?"

"Supernatural, American Horror Story, and I've just began Breaking Bad."

"Supernatural...I always hear people talking about that, is it any good?"

"I like it! The beginning is boring but it gets better!"

"We should watch it then."

He searched it up, choosing the first episode of the first season. I hoped he would like it, it would be fun to have someone to watch Supernatural marathons with.

It began and I took a bite of my sandwich, it was really good, I'd have to congratulate him on it later.

We ended up watching four episodes, Ashton coming in for a moment, then leaving, and then being interrupted once more by Luke and Calum showing us their matching pencil bags.

Eventually we stopped watching due to the fact that it was hard to pay attention with all the ruckus going on around us.

Mike lead me up to his room, a good sized space with an unmade queen sized bed and suitcases all around that he still hadn't unpacked I assumed, a few music posters decorated the otherwise blank walls.

I plunked down on the inviting bed, making sure to leave enough space for Michael, who I hoped would lay down next to me. He did, even going as far as to wrap an arm around my torso, pulling my face into the crook of his neck.

We weren't saying anything, but it wasn't awkward.

My phone began to buzz on his night stand. He sighed rolling over and handing it to me.

I sat up reading the name 'Dad'.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Pax, are you gonna be home tonight?"

"I'm not sure why?"

"Just wondering, you're with the boys right?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, I trust them, and I trust you to make your own decisions, just don't do anything stupid alright?"

"Alright dad." I confirmed.

"Have fun! I'm going to bed, do you have a key just in case you come home?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, Love you."

"Love you too."

I hung up, seeing the notification balloon by my text messages depicting three. All from Brandon.

Why did u hang up?

Come over and help me I have a situation (;

Do you want to see?

I shuttered swallowing the bile in my throat. I looked over at Michael to see him messing on his phone now, I sighed, wanting him to cuddle me again like he did before. In an attempt to get his attention, I laid across his lap, putting my head where his phone was, his eyes meeting mine with question.

"Hey."

"Hey." He replied, locking his phone, his fingers going to my hairline, tracing it, then across my chin, up my nose, back down, over my lips, over my lips again, until he stopped a lazy smile on his face.

"What?"

"Nothing." He shook his head, the smile still decorating his perfect lips.

I thought for a moment about how they might feel moving against my own, how they would taste, and about the wet trails they would leave down my neck, to my chest. Quickly I shook the thoughts away.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" He wondered tapping his fingers rhythmically on my forehead.

"Nothing." I repeated him from earlier.