Making the Grade

Chapter 6

As soon as I enter Mr. Iero’s room the next day, he wishes, “Happy haircut, Gerard.”
I grin at him, deciding to omit that I had done it myself. I sit down in my desk, and the entire period, my heels bounce vehemently as I rehearse what I will say to Frank in my head. The class ends, and even though he has another class next period, I take my chances, sashaying up to his desk. “Mr. Iero? Can I see you after school?”
“Sure,” Mr. Iero agrees. “Just come in after 9th period, okay?”
“Alright,” I agree, flashing another smile at him before leaving, swinging my hips the slightest bit.
Frank’s P.O.V.
My pants get the slightest bit too tight in the crotch area as I watch Gerard leave. God, it’s like he’s doing it on purpose. I curse him silently, and cross my legs, trying to cut off the blood flow to my cock. My first thought is to run into the bathroom and masturbate really quick, not to completion, but just enough to get my boner to go down. Unfortunately, it seems like it would do more trouble than good, so instead, I sit there until the next class starts, peeking at my crotch every few seconds to see if I can stand up yet.
Gerard’s P.O.V.
Thanks to Frank, all day, I’m just counting down the time until I get to see him. At lunch, I’m so anxious that I can’t eat. Ray pokes me, asking,
“Gerard? You haven’t touched your food.”
“I’m just kind of nervous,” I admit.
“Why?” Ray questions. Even Bob manages a look up from his gaming console.
“I…. I’m going to tell Frank how I feel,” I share. A slow smile creeps onto Ray’s face, and even Bob’s lips curl up a little.
Ray smacks me on the back, much too hard. “I’m so happy for you! You have to text me and tell me how it went.”
“I will,” I assure. I just sit there for the rest of the period, twiddling my thumbs because I can’t contain my excitement. I literally feel 6 years old again on Christmas Eve. Jovial, anxious, and ready to tear into that present. I’m ready to tear into Frank Iero.
I leave guided study in the flash of an eye, sprinting up the three flights of steps as though they were nothing. Only when I make it to the third floor do I realize how winded I actually am. I take a moment or so to recollect myself, going to the bathroom to fix my hair and get a drink. I head to Mr. Iero’s room, rapping my knuckles against the door frame.
“Gerard,” Mr. Iero greets, not looking up from his book. I read the cover, which says “The Fault In Our Stars”. It’s a recent book, but already the cover looks worn.
“Hi, Fran- I mean, Mr. Iero,” I correct, blushing.
“Sit down,” Mr. Iero instructs, shutting the book and smiling amiably.
I sit down in the desk right in front of his, my hands trembling. I intertwine my fingers and put my hands in my lap so he won’t notice.
“So, why’d you come to see me?” Mr. Iero questions. He smirks at me almost, almost as if he knows why.
This makes me even more nervous, and I feel my back break out in a hot sweat. “I… I have something to tell you.”
“What is it?” Mr. Iero asks, eyebrows knitting with concern.
“Don’t…. don’t be mad at me if I tell you,” I beg, my throat swelling.
Mr. Iero leans forward, resting a hand on my forearm. “Gerard, you can tell me anything. You know that, right?”
I nod, and he lets go of my arm, setting back into his normal slouch. “So, shoot.”
“I…. I like you, Mr. Iero,” I admit, teeth clenched.
Mr. Iero makes a face, his eyebrows furrowed, lips upturned, and eyes narrowed. “Uh, I like you too, Gerard.”
“No, I mean….” I take a deep breath before finishing, “I love you.”
Mr. Iero’s quiet. After a moment of silence, me staring into my lap and Mr. Iero studying me, Mr. Iero tells softly,
“Gerard, you know that I can’t love you back, right?”
Tears threaten to fall. My voice comes out wavering as I reply, “I know.”
“Hey, don’t cry,” Mr. Iero pleads. “It’s okay.”
The tears have already begun to trail down my face. I dip my head, allowing the tears to slide off my cheeks and fall in droplets onto my lap.
Mr. Iero hands me a box of tissues from his desk, which I accept. “I don’t want you to cry over this, Gerard.”
I nod, dabbing at my eyes. God, this is so not how I planned for things to go.
Mr. Iero sighs, and comforts, “So, you’ve got a crush.” He waits for me to look up at him, shooting me a small lopsided grin. “So what? Do you know who I have a crush on?”
“Who?” I sniffle.
Mr. Iero smiles even wider as he shares, “Fight Club era Brad Pitt.”
I chuckle, asking, “Really?”
Mr. Iero nods, saying, “Well, I see those hipbones and just can’t…..” he trails off, and then shakes his head vehemently. “So, I like him. Right? But I know I can’t have him, so do you know what I do?”
I shake my head, shrugging.
Mr. Iero smiles and continues, “I acknowledge my attraction instead of pushing it down. I just accept the fact that I think he’s cute and then move on. Ya know?”
I nod, telling, “Thanks, Mr. Iero.”
“No problem,” Mr. Iero replies. “You know, I don’t know if you’re gay or bi or just don’t care, but would you like to join the school’s GSA? We meet here on Fridays during guided study.”
“Sure,” I decide. Mainly because it means I’ll be able to be around Frank some more. I stand, saying, “See you.” I drag my feet out the door as I leave.
“Hey, Gerard! Wait!” Mr. Iero calls.
I turn on a dime, asking eagerly, “Yes, what is it?”
“Thanks for coming in. Really, you handled the situation very maturely.”
I smother a groan as I force a grin and exit.