Fatal Dose

Cassidy Leadworth

As the time to move back home crawled closer, Cassidy grew more and more nervous. She worried about the press, she worried about how her parents would react to her being so far from them, and she worried about Louis. Louis had yet to ask for her hand in marriage, which was both a relief and an annoyance. Cassidy wanted nothing more than to be legally inclined to stay with Louis for the rest of her life, but at the same time, she wanted to be able to explain her situation to him. Her problem was that she was scared and embarrassed of her ailment. It wasn't strictly her fault. Since she was a child she'd been taught not to tell anyone about her condition, and that thought carried over. She wanted to tell Louis, she really did, she was just so worried about worrying him if she did.

"Cas, sweetheart." Louis soft voice pulled her out of her own mind. "The car's here. Are you ready to go?" Cas smiled softly, nodding. She grabbed her backpack and one of her suitcases and went with Louis to begin loading the limo.

They didn't speak the entire time they were loading things up, each lost in their own mind. Cassidy knew that she had to tell Louis about her condition, and she made up her mind to do it on the plane. The flight was almost 12 hours long, and on a flight that stretched on like that, she knew she'd be able to tell him, get her emotions back in check, and come off looking like nothing stressful had happened at all. She wanted more than anything to be normal, but it looked like those cards just weren't in her deck. She would make sure Louis didn't stress over her. She'd tell him everything, and he would help her hide it, maybe help her stay safe when the headaches started coming. The more she thought about it, the better it started to sound.

Press surrounded their car once they'd reached the airport. Louis kept his arm firmly around her shoulders as the pair tried to get around the paps.

"Cassidy! Cassidy! Is it true you're moving to London?!" one shouted.

"Cas! Are you really signing on a movie with Henry McDonalds?!" another cried. Camera lights flashed, one after another, and if Cas weren't so used to it it would totally overwhelm her. Sometimes it still was a bit overwhelming. She kept her head down and let Louis lead her into the airport. They may be taking a private jet, but that didn't mean security wasn't necessary.

"I'm excited to get to know where you came from." Louis smiled, taking a sip of his beer. They'd been on the flight for around two hours, and Cas still hadn't uttered anything about what was happening to her.

"Yeah, I think you'll like it," she replied. She thought of her uncle Rich and her aunt Leslie who would meet them at the airport. She'd always loved staying the weekend at their house when she was a child. Leslie herself was a wild child growing up, and she never made Cas feel like a freak. Everyone else treated her differently because of her headaches, but Leslie just treated her like a normal kid.

Finally, when the flight had gone for 4 hours without a word about anything serious, Cas knew it was time. She stood up to the toilet and wash up before she told him, mostly to stall since she was so nervous. Upon coming back, Louis had also stood. He was pacing around, and seemed almost as nervous as her. Before she could think herself out of it, she strode up to him.

"Louis--" Louis grinned, grabbing her hands in his.

"Me first!" he insisted, dropping to one knee.

"Cas, I love you so much. Each and every day I find something new about you, and I love everything I learn. You're always there to support me, make me laugh, or tell me what I need to hear. I never want to go another day without you. Cassidy Leadworth... will you marry me?"

Overwhelmed with happiness, Cassidy nodded, her mouth stretching out in a beautiful smile. Louis stood and gathered her in his arms, hugging her tightly and kissing her temple. Cas was officially engaged. It was the best moment of her life.

And then, her head began to throb.