Nobody Compares

Prologue

Maddie sat on her bed, her laptop sitting on her legs as she waited for the video to upload. It was almost 9 am and she was ready to crash, being up most of the night editing and trying to upload the latest video her and Reece made but YouTube wasn’t cooperating.

Finally, a screen popped up, saying the video had uploaded to their 700,000+ subscribers. Maddie grinned, closing her laptop and setting it on the floor beside her. She crawled under the bed, her eyes closing immediately. Just as she was about to fall asleep completely, her phone rang, playing her best friend’s customized ringtone. “Hello?” she greeted tiredly. She heard a screech on the other side and pulled the phone away from her ear, Reece’s voice shouting out incomprehensible words. “Reece, babe, calm down first – and then talk.”

On the other side of the line, Reece felt like she was ready to jump up and down in excitement. She couldn’t believe this.

“Okay, okay,” Reece said, able to finally calm herself down. “So I saw that we had an email on our band email address and I kind of just figured that it was spam or just an email about somebody thinking we were decent – nothing really exciting, you know, because we never get exciting things-“

“Make a long story short?” Maddie interrupted, yawning. “I haven’t slept all night and I’m tired.”

“We’re going on tour!” Reece exclaimed, a huge smile on her face.

Maddie abruptly sat up, clutching her phone to her ear as her eyes widened. “What?” she asked, not sure she heard her right.

Reece scoffed. “Yeah, now you get excited,” she said. “But a band’s manager – 5 Seconds of Summer, I think is the name? – emailed us about how they saw our videos and think we’re really good and would love for us to come on tour as an opener for the band!”

Maddie couldn’t help but let out an excited yell, quickly covering her mouth when she remembered her mom and sister were asleep nearby. “What’d they say?” she pondered.

“Well, I emailed him back last night before bed – I wasn’t a hundred percent sure it was legit – and this morning I checked and he left me a number and told me to call to go over details,” she explained. “I figured I’d call you first because I had to let my excitement out before I can sound at all professional.”

Maddie laughed. “Okay, well you call him and work everything out while I try to get a few hours of sleep and then I’ll be over your house as soon as I wake up so we can go over everything, alright?” she suggested.

“Okay!” Reece replied before hanging up. She closed her eyes, taking deep breaths to calm herself. This was everything they had worked for and, despite Maddie thinking otherwise, this was the first step to making it. First you open for a bigger band, you widen your fan base and then before you know it, you’re headlining your own world tour.

Deciding she was finally calm enough to focus, she picked up her phone and dialed the number in the email, more than ready to prove herself to the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
eeeek, get ready. ♥

xo, Kayla.