Status: in progress (:

Kids in Love

and my girl was the envy of every friend of mine

WEDNESDAY JUNE 25.


LIAM

As soon as I close the back door, Louis looks up from his phone and stares at me with a smirk on his face. It’s too early for his antics. I grab a water out of the mostly empty fridge and decide to ignore Louis today when I hear quiet footsteps on the stairs. I decide to ignore that too. Slowly, Harry walks into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes as he goes to sit with Louis at the table.

“So Harry,” Louis starts as he looks over at me, still with that smirk on his face, before looking back at Harry. I look out the window and continue drinking my water. “Have you met the girl next door?”

“I just woke up.” Harry said with a confused look on his face. I would have laughed if I wasn’t ignoring them.

“Met her just now. Fit as hell.” I shoot Louis an angry look. If it weren’t for his jet lag he never would have met her. He should still be sleeping. “Actually, wasn’t that the girl from last night, Payno?”

I catch myself before I start nodding. I shrug instead, I know exactly what he is trying to do. Poor Harry just looks confused. I nod anyway. Might as well get this over with.

“She invited us over for dinner tonight.” Don’t smile, don’t smile. A small grin sneaks its way onto my face as I look away, hoping that they didn’t catch that. By the way that Louis’ eyes lit up, I can tell he did.

“When did that happen? I missed it.” He knows exactly when it happened so I ignore him, drinking more of my water instead.

“What are you idiots doing up so early?” I jump at the sound of Niall’s voice—since when is he stealthy?—the movement making me spill water on my jumper. I’m walking out of the room, to shower and change, when Louis answers Niall.

”Just talking about Liam’s girlfriend.”

I couldn’t run up the stairs fast enough.
ALLIE MAY

I have been in the kitchen for all of five minutes and I already want to walk out.

First of all, the only thing in the fridge is a case of beer, a half-empty bottle of vodka and some mayo. It’s not like getting them drunk and feeding them mayo sandwiches (ew) is a good plan. None of those things can even be considered food…not by themselves, anyway. As I stand in the kitchen, staring in the open fridge dejectedly as if that could change the contents, the front door flings open and a voice rings out.

“Honey, I’m home!” The grin on my face appears suddenly at the sound of my best friend’s voice. For the moment I forget that I’m nervous about tonight. The nerves shift when I realize that this is the first time I’m seeing my best friend since I went off to school. What if things are different? I mean, me with school and work and her with…all of the things she likes to do (none of those include school or work, just in case you’re wondering—but her dad is rich off of an inheritance, so as long as she doesn’t want to work and she stays out of trouble, her dad isn’t going to make her. Lucky girl).

I was attacked by a hug just as I turn towards the doorway. Kali picks me up off the ground—not hard, seeing as she’s way taller than I am—and spins me around once before setting me back down and grabbing me in a normal hug. My eyes squeeze shut as we sway in our tight, squeezy, best friend hug for a few moments before breaking apart. She holds me out at arm’s length and looks me up and down with one eye squinted.

“You don’t look different.”

I laugh and shake my head. “Am I supposed to?”

“Thought you would have a California glow.” She shakes her head with a shrug, looking away before looking back at me before busting out laughing. Some things never change (and I hope they never will because, you know, best friends and such). I’m hit full force by my dinner nerves once our giggle fit wears off. I drag a hand through my hair and sigh.

“What are you freaking out about today, Al?” She asks with a smirk. I guess the look on my face gave it away.

“I sort of met a guy?” She nods in surprise. “He lives next door, and, long story short: he’s gorgeous.”

“And that’s a bad thing…?” Kali raises an eyebrow at me and really I should have seen that coming.

“I may or may not have invited him and his friends for supper even though we have no food…”

“Friends? Are these friends also gorgeous?” Kali said with a mischievous look on her face.

“Not helping.” I mutter as I start picking at my already chipped nail polish.

“I mean, Al, it’s been a while, you know?” She looks over at me, her eyebrows wiggling up and down, but even without that I can understand what she’s trying to say. Typical Kali.

“I actually have no idea. I’ve only met Liam and his friend Louis. I don’t even know how many friends there are. They could be cute, too, I have no idea. I mean but Liam and Louis are already gorgeous and what are the odds that their friends are, too, ya know? I don’t think that—”

“Ookay you’re done talking. If his friends aren’t cute I’ll just cockblock you, it’s all good.” She said with a wink.

“But what am I gonna do? There’s no groceries and I have no idea what I wanna make anyway and I’m so—”

“So we have to get groceries, whatevs. In a couple hours we’ll possibly be surrounded by hotties and maybe we’ll even get you laid.”

I groan and hide my face in my hands.
KALI

I hate grocery shopping.

It’s not just because I can’t cook. It’s because of all the people that live in this town. It’s like we all go to the same Walmart for our groceries because, damn, people keep stopping Allie and interrupting our reunion. Can’t they see that I’m trying to talk to my best friend, here? I’m two ‘Allie May, I didn’t know you were home!’’s away from grabbing the dang girl and running to the bathroom. At least there wouldn’t be as many people bothering us in there.

Don’t they know I hate to share?

I smile politely to Old Lady McAllen as she walks away, rolling my eyes and dropping the fake smile as soon as she’s out of sight.

“If one more person comes up to me, I swear…” Allie mutters as we turn into a new aisle. I nod as I reach up to grab some chips. Sometimes it’s like we’re the same person. “This is exactly why I didn’t want to come home.”

And they call me dramatic. I roll my eyes, reaching over to ruffle her hair, grinning as she pouts at me.

“So…” Dramatic pause, my favorite. “How hot is this Liam, exactly?” I purse my lips in attempt to stop a grin from taking over my face. Someone has to ask the important questions.

“Pft. Out of this world. He’s British, by the way, so…” She reaches over and tosses some salt and vinegar chips into the cart—her favorite. I grin.

“I’m assuming the friends are as well?” Which is (apparently) a bad thing to do because, you know, we all know what assholes say about people who assume. Ha, that was kind of funny.

“Louis is.” She said with a shrug.

I toss a bag of chocolate chips in the cart and turn to Allie. “On a scale of one to ten, how unavailable do you think this guy is?” We used to play this game all the time. One of my favorites, personally. Saved us from unnecessary heartache in the past.

“Well, I mean, he said he wasn’t here with a girlfriend so I’m assuming he doesn’t have one.” She is too cute. I smirk over at her as we stop in the dairy section.

“Just because he said he wasn’t here with his girlfriend doesn’t mean he doesn’t have one.”

Just call me Devil’s Advocate.

“I don’t think he does, though.” She said with a shrug.

“Oh! Maybe he’s gay.” I said, pointing at her as she grabs a jug of milk. She almost dropped the gallon when she looked over at me with a distraught look.

“Noooo stop Kali, please. Like. You’re not helping.” I could have—and would have—kept going if it weren’t for that look on her face. That ‘You’re-My-Best-Friend-You’re-Supposed-To-Be-On-My-Side’ look.

“You have to look at it from all angles.” Can’t help it.

Someone has to bring the girl back down to Earth. I’ve known the girl since we were born, so I say this with all the love in the world, but she never was quick with boys.

My Allie Pie isn’t getting taken advantage of again.

Not on my watch.
ALLIE MAY

It’s almost four in the afternoon when Fisher walks back in the house after school, looking flustered. This is new, that’s usually what I look like. In fact, we probably match right about now, considering there’s only two hours until dinner and I haven't finished cooking (never mind about a shower).

“Momma said we have to go to the Winston’s Fourth of July gala, since they won’t be in town.” Fisher announces quickly as she walks into the kitchen. I drop the spoon in my hand and turn to look at her, with my eyebrows raised. “Dude, I’m just the messenger.” She said, with her hands up in the air. I ignore the stab in my heart when it clicks that momma called Fisher and not me. Last time I spoke to her was when she asked me to babysit a month ago.

“…Fourth of July is in two weeks, Fish. I just got here!” My voice sounding as distraught as I’m sure my face looks right now. I am way past flustered. She couldn’t wait until later to tell me this? Like, you know, after dinner when I’m not already freaking out.

My dad is best friends with Mr. Winston. We usually go to their stupid gala every year but, after recent events, I decided not to go this year. Looks like I’m going to have to change my plans. Again.

Besides, Mr. Winston is Stella’s dad. That means she’s going to be there. Which means that Emma Hawley is going to be there. I fucking hate her (ha, sorry, always have though!). And all their petty friends that think they’re all hot shit. I roll my eyes. I can’t wait.

“Harper and Kali have to go too. And the other usual kids.” Fisher said with a shrug, like she wasn’t one of the ‘usual kids’. She was toning it down for me. She lives for the fancy events and other social opportunities afforded to her. Our dads popular oral surgery practices and my mom’s bestsellers (and, you know, the fact that she used to be a model) had catapulted them into ‘pillars of the community’ stature. Charleston isn’t like New York or Los Angeles. My parents were able to quickly climb the social ladder here. Kali frequently refers to us as southern socialites. Which I always argue is impossible, we are not nearly as graceful as I imagine actual socialites to be (‘That’s why we have to add the southern to it, because we’re in a different league than those broads.’ she would say, good ol’ Kali). “I imagine Jared is going too, if you were wanting to start that up again.”

I could’ve laughed because, no, I am definitely not wanting to start that up again. It’s not like Fisher knows what really happened, so I can’t blame her for bringing it up. I been down that road once and that is more than enough for me, thanks. Besides, Hottie Next Door (as Kali had taken to calling Liam) had my undies in a twist since this morning. Couldn’t quite get myself to seriously think about any other guy right now. Especially not Jared.

Kali walks into the kitchen, bumping Fisher out of the way with a silly grin. She’s enjoying this too much (or it could be the beers she’s had already, who knows—its five o’clock somewhere and all that). “We need some music!” She yells as she hooks up her iPod to the integrated stereo system. Within moments we’re greeted by Jason Aldean, Kali’s favorite, and the food she was fixing is quickly forgotten in exchange for some dancing and singing. Typical.

The surprising thing is that, when I look away from the gravy, Fisher is dancing, too. She usually is up in her room by now (besides, when did she start listening to country music?). She never wanted to hang out with me and Kali before. I grinned widely, deciding to just go with it, despite being a little confused. But what else is new?

“She's a party-all-nighter from South Carolina!” Kali yells along with the song, pumping her fist in the air. I giggle as I try to not shake my head near the food. Nobody wants to find hair in their macaroni and cheese. Once she was done dancing, Kali starts trying to make dessert (emphasis on trying to, because her cooking sucks). At this rate we would end up with ice cream sundaes instead of my Grand momma’s pecan pie.

It was quiet for all of two seconds before my mouth attempts to betray me again.

“Is Harper still, uh…” What is with me today? I stop myself, eyes going wide as I close the oven. I know Kali won’t care (she’s the one who pointed it out in the first place), but Harper is Fisher’s best friend. Fisher will fight anyone over that girl, even me.

“Obsessed with you?” Kali butted in, finishing my question. Fisher laughs and nods and suddenly I feel much lighter.

“Sure is. I think it’s endearin’.” She said with a shrug. “Don’t worry about it. It’s not as bad.” I nod and move on, hoping that Fisher is telling the truth (and also hoping that I won’t have to find out for a while—at least until the gala). Kali already promised not to tell Harper about the dinner but with Fisher there’s no telling if she has your back or if she’s planning to sell you out. Bless her.

I have nothing against Harper, not really. She’s sweet, honest, but there’s just something strange about the way the girl always tried to be like me. There’s even a time when we had the same haircut and color—the year I tried to go blonde—and that was a nightmare. I shudder just to think about that mishap.

“If you say so.” I shoot her an uneasy smile on my face before focusing back on fixing supper. This meal needs all of the love and attention I can spare if I’m gonna make a good impression.

It was a little over half an hour later when, just as I was finishing up the scalloped potatoes, I heard the door open (which begs the question: why do I always forget to lock the door?) and a voice scream out.

“Fisher Rae!” I swear as soon as I heard her voice I just wanted to run away. Harper’s always been like the extra, awkward little sister I never really wanted or needed, but was always just there.

Especially when you didn’t want her there.

“Kitchen!” I yell back as I hear her start running back towards where we were all standing. We hug quickly and she goes to sit with Fisher in the breakfast nook.

“Why are you here, Kal?” Harper asks, giving her sister a dirty look. Kali just shakes her head with widened eyes. I bite my bottom lip but continue working on the dessert. “Is that what you’re wearin?” Harper asks as she looks me up and down, an eyebrow raised. Thanks, Fish. I shake my head (I have a sassy remark ready but I don’t even want to go there with her). Does she really think I’m going to wear white short shorts, a camouflage tee shirt, and my Hello Kitty apron with flip flops? Pft.

“I’m picking out her outfit.” Kali said as I cover the last dish with foil and turn the music down, the loud guitars in this song give me a headache. Just call me grandma. “Be back in a bit.” I said as we run out of the kitchen and up the stairs, Kali goes in my room as I head straight to the shower to wash the smell of food off of my body. The last thing I want is to smell like chicken when Liam sees me again. Not able to take my time in the shower (well, not if I want to do my hair), I rush through my usual routine before wrapping one of my fluffy robes over my towel.

“I put your outfit on the bed. I’m goin downstairs just in case Hottie and his hottie friends come over early. Wouldn’t want Fish and Harp to open the door.” Kali said with a fake shudder as I walk into my room. There are clothes and shoes all over the place. Typical Kali.

I look over at the bed where my favorite polka dot skirt and a flowy white tank top is laying. I get dressed quickly, slipping my feet into a pair of sparkly flats before putting some makeup on and quickly blow drying my hair. I put on a pair of stud earrings, my favorite necklace, and my Grand momma’s ring—the usual—before I make my way down the stairs. I’m walking into the kitchen just as the doorbell rings. Kali’s eyes go wide as an excited smile graces her face. Hopefully I don’t look like I’m about to throw up. I turn back out of the kitchen and over to the foyer. I take two deep breaths to calm down before I open the door.

I’m not expecting to see five guys standing in front of me.

“Oh my stars.” I said and varying degrees of shock paint their faces. “I hope I made enough food for all y’all. Come on in.”

Louis almost hops inside, giving me a quick hug before moving to stand next to me.

“My dear Allie, these are my friends. Now, food?” Louis said, looking down at me. I giggle and shake my head.

“Y’all can come inside, ya know.” Liam steps forward and gives me the most half assed hug I think I have ever gotten—a pat on the back, not unlike the hug I shared with Jared the night before. I have to try so hard to not feel rejected. The night is very, very young, Allie. I just need to calm down. An adorable, kind of curly haired kid steps in next, arms already outstretched for a hug.

“I’m Harry.” I smile at him as we part. The last two boys try to walk in the door at the same time, all pushing and shoving and giggles. I shake my head as the blonde one steps inside and gives me a kind of squeezy hug, just like Kali’s, it was strangely comforting (strangely because he’s a stranger).

“‘M Niall, this here’s Zayn.” He said, pointing over his shoulder at the boy closing the front door.

I grin at them and turn towards the dining room, where the girls would no doubt be waiting, and motion for them to join me.

See. I should have known that something was up when Kali hadn’t come introduce herself, or by Fisher and Harper’s bug eyes and open mouths (really like they’d never seen a group of gorgeous men before). I’m too nervous to think too much about any of that. That is, until I notice that Kali is missing.

“That’s Fisher Rae and Harper, my little sisters, and…” I stopped, looking around for Kali. “Where’d this fool go?” I mutter as the girls turn to each other to start whispering. I shake my head and quickly turn my attention to finding Kali. I almost took a step forward when I look down and there she was. “Oh for the love…” I mutter as I reach down to help her stand up, careful to bend so that I didn’t flash anyone. “How did you end up on the floor, Kal?”

“I was tripped!” She pouts and shakes her head before pointing at the two younger girls, who had their backs to us and were looking at something on their phones. I bite my lip to stifle my laughter before turning to the boys. Kali is one of the clumsiest people I know. I wouldn’t be surprised if she tripped over her own feet.

She took two steps forward, going straight for Niall. I cover my mouth to muffle my giggles. I should’ve known, really. He looks just like all of Kali’s ex-boyfriends—blue eyes and blonde and just generally gorgeous. One was even a foreign exchange student…not that he was Irish but he did have an accent so I think that still counts. If I had anticipated this maybe I would’ve given him a warning.

“Hi, I’m Kali.” She said with a smirk and That Look on her face. Whenever she sports that man-eater look on her face I just about die. The fact that she’s doing it right now and I can’t laugh hurts (I don’t think laughing at a guest is under the ‘Do’s’ in my momma’s Good Hostess Manual). I shake my head and settle for laughing quietly, focusing on the almost soap opera-worthy looks that were being exchanged. Sometime between Kali walking over to Niall and me trying to stop laughing Liam moved to stand next to me.

“Did I miss the joke?” He asks, a sort of mischievous glint in his eye as he smirks down at me. His voice is deeper when he speaks like that and I could’ve just—focus, Allie. I nod quickly.

“He has no idea what he’s just walked into.” I murmur, beaming up at him as Kali moves on from Niall to introduce herself to the other guys.
FISHER

I could have died.

No, wait. I think I did. That is the only way to explain what One Direction is doing in my dining room. Surely they have something better to do than hang out in the middle of nowhere (well, sort of; Charleston’s no London) South Carolina?

Not that I’m complaining.

“Oh my stars. Oh. My. Stars.” The funniest thing about Harper is that she refuses to say oh my God. She used to say heavens to Betsey but has since switched to oh my stars. I guess that’s another thing she’s picked up from my sister.

“Harper, calm down.” I whisper as I turn her so we’re facing away from everyone. Our widened eyes and her dropped jaw will give them away quickly. The more I think about it, the more I feel like that’s not the best idea. As much as I hate her sometimes, I love my sister. It would be really nice if she had a good guy in her life, for once. Lord knows Jared wasn’t exactly a good guy (he was an asshole if I’d ever seen one).

“What do you mean calm down?” She looks at me like I just threw her favorite dress in the garbage. I raise my eyebrows at her and she took three of her ‘cleansing’ breaths (another Allie thing) before nodding and looking back at me. “Sorry.”

I shrug because she’s liable to freak out again after I explain my thoughts.

“I don’t think we should tell them.” I whisper as I pull out my phone to pretend to look something up to show Harper. That was how we usually were able to get away with whispering without anyone hearing us. It’s because our heads were so close and all. “Let’s let them have this fun. They’ll find out eventually. The guys will probably end up letting it slip or something.” Harper nods quickly. She usually goes along with my schemes. Her life would be terribly boring without me.

It’s because she’s so much like my sister, otherwise known as The Most Boring Person I Know (that’s her name in my phone, ha).

“Allie May is practically the smartest girl I know, how can she not know who they are?” I roll my eyes at how concerned my best friend sounds. She has my sister so high up on a pedestal I honestly can’t comprehend it.

“You know how Allie is. I feel like she’s perpetually living in 2007.” I say with a shrug, putting my phone in the back pocket of my shorts.

“Kali’s not much better. She is all Jason Aldean, all the time.” Harper says with a giggle and I join in before we sit next to each other at the table.

This will possibly be the funniest prank we will ever pull on our sisters.
ALLIE MAY

Dinner is a riot. I’m sitting between Zayn and Louis in my favorite of the mismatched chairs—the high backed, tufted one with the red painted wood—with Liam across from me, in between Fisher and Kali. Harry and Niall are at the ends and Harper pulled up an extra chair to sit between Fisher and Harry, since our table only sits eight people (comfortably). I’m not complaining; I’m able to steal glances at Liam all the while staying invested in the conversation. The boys salivate over the food when Kali and I place it on the table. I’m glad I paid attention when my Grand momma taught me a few recipes when I was younger. Desserts have always been my favorite to make and, even though I’m already full, I dig into the cake I ended up throwing together, not thinking about the tummy ache I will inevitably have to deal with later (because clearly I don’t have a lick of sense). It’s nice seeing everyone enjoy my cooking as much as they seem to. I’m nudged from my thoughts by a cough from next to me. I look over at Louis.

“You alright there, bud?” Kali asked, raising one of her perfect eyebrows. I’m surprised she pulled herself away from Niall, to be honest. They look pretty cozy over in that corner.

Before Louis finishes nodding she was already turning away, giggling at something Niall said, her hand settled on his arm. She’s never been scared to go for what she wants. We’re pretty much polar opposites because I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to start conversation with Liam.

“Allie May, is that your first name or do you just like how it sounds?” Louis asked. I throw my head back in laughter, my eyes bright as I look over at him. I don’t think anyone has ever asked me that before.

“It’s my first name.”

“Dude her name is long for no reason. I’m glad they didn’t do that to me.” She said as she picks at her cake. I shrug. I love my name. Our side of the table goes quiet again as we start to pay more attention to dessert. I was zoning out again until I heard Kali say my name.

“Huh?”

“I was telling them about the Winston’s gala.” I made a face.

“I take it you don’t like them?” I hear from across the table. I guess I won’t have to think up a good conversation starter. I almost went with ‘do you prefer cats or dogs?’

I hope I remember to thank Kali later.

“Their daughter is friends with a girl I don’t like.” I said in an attempt to play it off as not a big deal. He nods. “Plus it’s usually this really uptight kind of thing, not really my scene.” I lift one shoulder in a little shrug.

“What is?” He asks, the faintest hint of a smile playing on his lips (don’t get me started on those lips!).

“As far as music? I’m not opposed to a good house party. Occupational hazard, I guess.”

“Occupational hazard?” I hear as I was about to take another bite. My blue-grey eyes look up to meet Liam’s before setting my spoon back down.

“I’m in college, I go to UC San Diego. Kind of a crazy party scene.” He smiles this beautiful, open mouthed grin that made the corners of his eyes crinkle and all it was all I could do not to swoon.

I decide that I like that look on him the best.

“What are you studying?” Zayn asks from next to me as I’m torn from the staring contest I’m having with Liam.

“Marine biology.” I said with a giant smile as I reach up to fiddle with my starfish necklace. I have never loved something more. I love learning about sea animals and taking care of their environment. I grew up on the water, it’s only fitting. It’s my first love.

“How’s that going, anyway?” Kali puts her conversation with Niall on pause as she looks over at me, the rest of the table looking over as well. I could feel my cheeks heat up—I can only imagine how red I must be right now.

“I love it. It’s amazing—seriously, Kal, I cannot—”

“She’s good at it, too! She had an internship this summer at this really cool marine center but, uh…well.” Fisher said excitedly, mumbling by the end of her sentence, apparently realizing that she doesn’t want anyone else to know she was in summer school. I shrug in response to the questioning glances I receive.

It’s not a big deal anymore.

After a while we move out into the living room, I end up squished between Liam and Zayn on the love seat (courtesy of Louis, who pushed Liam when he went to take the last seat on the big couch) while Kali is sitting with Niall, Harry and Louis on the couch next to us. I’m pretty sure at this point Fisher and Harper are up in Fish’s room, but I can’t be sure of anything with how close Liam and I are. His bare arm keeps brushing up against mine and, even though I could stop my body from shivering, there was no hiding the goose bumps that spring up on my arms. I can barely concentrate.

Zayn, Louis and Harry are leaning towards each other, talking about something or other. I watch Kali and Niall for a few moments. She’s flirting hard over there. I smirk to myself. Maybe one day I would have her skills.

“They’re cute, aren’t they?” A voice whispers near my ear. I shiver, turning back towards Liam to nod. I can’t do much else. I’m hyperaware of his breath on the side of my neck and that same low rumble of his voice from earlier. Combined with the way his eyes look in this lighting and his stubble. Unf. I’m going down a dark, dark road that only ends at my bedroom (well, you know, fingers crossed).

“Just adorable.” It would be so easy to just lean forward and kiss him. If I was Kali, I probably would have. I happen to want to keep him around for more than just one night, though, and I happen to be a little rusty. We sit quietly for a while, stealing glances, smiles on our faces when we catch the other looking. It’s like a game.

Until now. I turn my head slightly, catching him looking at me but he doesn’t look away. My face feels hot under his intense stare. His eyes look like honey, a halo of light around his head from the lamp on the side table behind him. I blink and look down. He moves closer to me, looking down at his lap and I start to wonder when I became so reserved.

I reach over into his lap to hold his hand. It’s warm. That’s comforting to me. Jared’s hands were always freezing. I feel a light squeeze on my hand and smile, squeezing back. I lean back on the couch, turning my body slightly to face Liam, our hands moving to rest on the part of my thigh just above my knee that my skirt doesn’t cover. I’m still smiling when I look up at him but it widens when I notice he’s looking at me.

“Do you—”

“What is—” We laugh. I shake my head to let him know to continue.

“Do you have any pets?”

My eyes light up and I nod so fast it feels like my head is going to fall off. “I have an English bulldog puppy, his name’s Mr. Wrinkles.”

“Is he here?”

“Oh, no. He’s at the estate.” I almost wince at the look on his face.

“Estate?” His eyebrows scrunch up in confusion.

“Um, this is our beach house…we have a main house more inland.”

He only nods. I look away, my hand trying to pull away from his in embarrassment but he squeezes it in an attempt to get me to stop. “Is that where you’re parents are?”

I shake my head. “My parents’ anniversary is in a few weeks. They’re travelling.”

“They let you stay by yourself?”

“Guess they didn’t count on me inviting strange boys over.”

“I wouldn’t say we’re strange…maybe just Louis.”

“I don’t even know your last names, sir. I count that as strange.”

“Payne. That's all you get.” He winks over at me and I can feel the blush coming back.

“Hm, that’s okay I guess. Mine is Newton.”

“Can I call you Isaac?” I threw my head back in a laugh.

“Don’t make me regret inviting you over.”

“A little late for that.” He smirks over at me. I smile back before yawning. I can’t help it, I got up too early this morning. I should have given myself a day to adjust back to the time difference. Liam leans back against the couch, taking his hand away before wrapping his arm around my shoulders. The feel of his warm skin against my bare shoulders made me shiver, which in turn caused him to rub up and down my arm to calm the goose bumps (which didn’t work, surprise surprise, it just caused more).

I lean my head against his shoulder and close my eyes. I was snuggling into Liam when I felt his chest rumble.

“What kind of hostess falls asleep during her own dinner party?”

My eyes snap open and I sit up, another yawn burst past my lips, barely giving me enough time to cover my mouth. “I’m not falling asleep.”

I was definitely falling asleep. Two seconds from full-fledged drooling on his shoulder. That would’ve been a great first impression.

“C’mon.” He chuckles, shaking his head as he stands up, turning to help me up from the enticing couch. “Lads, we’re being kicked out.”

I gasp and look at him with wide eyes. “Liam!”

He ignores me in favor of another laugh. The guys laugh as they start to move towards the porch. Niall and Kali needed extra convincing to get up from the couch but soon after Liam whispering something in Niall’s ear he stood up, pulling Kali up with him and walking out the door. I feel Liam’s hand on my back, warm like the summer air out on the porch. Too tired to hide my grin, I let it overtake my face.

“You’ll have to cook for us more often, Miss Allie May.” Louis said as he grabs me up in a hug. My sleepy giggle is muffled by his chest.

“Anytime, Mr. Louis.”

Zayn waves at me from the stairs and I wave back. I hug Harry and Niall and before I know it Kali is inside and the other boys are gone. I’m looking around when I feel two hands on my shoulders. I jump and turn around.

“You scared me!” I said, my hand on my chest as I pout up at him in a way that I hope is cute.

“That doesn’t make sense. Who else would it have been?”

“It doesn’t have to make sense.” I take a moment to stick my tongue out at him. “It’s late.”

“Makes sense.” He smirks and I roll my eyes to mask my true feelings (that I want to kiss him, clearly).

“I-uh…” I hand him a piece of paper sheepishly, breaking eye contact to look at my feet as an embarrassed blush took over my cheeks.

“Just in case I forget where you live?” He asks with a smirk. I giggle.

“You know, if you can’t sleep, or something…you can, uh, text me and stuff.”

Yeah I just handed him a paper with my phone number on it. I’m half asleep. Not my brightest moment. To his credit, he just sticks the piece of paper in his pocket. Bless him. There’s no way he could get any more perfect.

That is, until he brought me close into a tight, warm hug and nuzzled my hair (sleepy Liam was very much like a cute puppy, only more manly and toned and now I need a cold shower). He pulls away from the hug quickly. I was fixing to pout when he placed a sweet kiss on my forehead. Pout turned to grin when he pulls away.

“Sleep tight, Allie.” He said before walking next door, leaving me to stew on the porch. I reach up to touch my forehead and smile goofily at the ground.

I sure will.
♠ ♠ ♠
edited 3/28.