Status: Active

Somewhere Only We Know

A Wedding

The morning after the ball wasn’t as cheerful as Anne would have liked it to be. The news of the incoming war had spread quickly as the servants rushed up to speak to the masters of the house. The Cumberbatch couple had done their best to keep the ball going smoothly but, as soon as it was possible, Henry gathered with his father and Aaron in the office. Two of the uncles joined too because they were all men of the Military and they expected to be on the phone for the whole evening.

Most of the guests had headed to their own houses and Anne was now sitting with Charles, Camille, her parents, Mrs. Cumberbatch and Benedict as they had a small and quiet breakfast. Nobody had slept peacefully, that was easy to see.

Camille kept mostly in her own world, wondering what this meant. Her father had promised to never go to war again but she wasn’t sure if he had the power to say no if he was asked to join. Then she also worried about Ben. If Henry went to war, would Ben have to go too? Were things really that serious?

Her parents had decided to pack and leave that evening and she hadn’t had the heart to ask to stay. She knew that her father wanted to be home because he felt safe there and he probably had people to meet back in France as well. Exchanging a few glances with Ben, Camille finished her food and excused herself.

Ben wanted to rush and go after her. He knew she was upset but there was so very little he could do. He refrained from rushing but he went upstairs the first chance he could, finding her in her bedroom as she allowed him to get inside. He had hardly slept the night before as he stayed up with his brother. Benedict wasn’t a man of war but Henry always respected his brother’s insight and, from what both of them could gather, the situation was serious.

“I really wish I could stay...” Camille said quietly as her eyes met Ben’s.

He had closed the door behind his back but he hadn’t stepped further in. He watched as she packed and sighed heavily.

“I wish that too, my love.” Ben replied, his voice low as they looked at each other for a long moment. “Will you allow me to go and visit you soon?”

“Please go as soon as you can.” Camille said, moving to cross the room and take Ben’s hands “You know that I don’t like us to be apart.”
Ben kissed her small, warm hands and smiled “I’ll go as soon as work permits me.” He promised “In the meantime, I’ll write.”

Camille nodded and leaned up for a kiss, Ben’s arm wrapping around her. While the couple said their silent goodbyes, Charles and Anne sat together outside discussing what the war meant for them as future husband and wife. Charles would, of course, enlist and be called so they had two options: push the wedding forward or push it back.

Pushing the wedding back didn’t please Anne at all so Charles and her agreed to push it forward. He had no clear idea of when he could be called, given that the higher ranks were called first, but they didn’t want to take any chances so, hand in hand, they went inside and announced that the wedding would be in two weeks from that same day.

The news wasn’t received as a shock by anyone. It could be considered a bit too quick but everyone knew that the fear of war and distance was the main reason. Charles and Anne had been planning the wedding for months and neither of them wanted to risk being apart for too long without finally being husband and wife.

Immediately taking matters into her hands, Jane Cumberbatch, offered to help the young couple with all the last minute arrangements that needed to be changed. Due to her position, it was easy for Jane to just sent letters or telegrams, especially to the venue of the wedding, and it was cleared and settled. All the guests were quickly warned and Anne was cheerful again by the time that Camille was gone to go back to France.

------------------------


The two weeks in France passed by slowly to Camille. Ben had not been able to visit her and, as much as she enjoyed Mel’s company, being inside her house with just her parents was an impossible task.

Her father had hardly slept. Aaron stayed up in his study for most of the evening, receiving news and updates on warfare while, by day, he received visits of old friends that Camille hadn’t seen since she was a child. Aaron had detached himself from all his Military friends, until now. There hadn’t been any official call for him to present himself to pay his duty to the country but Aaron was already ready for it.

Seeing her husband getting emerged into that world again, Carol couldn’t help but to isolate herself. Camille barely spent any time inside the house and the woman knew that it was because she was so deeply in love with Benedict that their house didn’t feel like home anymore. To Camille, where Benedict was, home was too and Carol was afraid that they were going to lose their daughter over her husband’s bad temper and wit but then, as she looked at him, she just wanted to shake him up.

If Aaron went to war again, Carol wasn’t sure of how she would handle it. She barely did it the first time, not wanting to remember what she felt when she was called to a hospital one morning, to find Aaron was patched up in there, barely alive. It was a miracle how he had survived back then and she was so afraid that he wouldn’t be lucky twice.

Wherever Aaron attempted to approach his wife, she would barely speak or she would give him a cold shoulder so the man turned to the military in seek of a distraction. He felt like his wife was against him for what he was doing to Benedict but he wasn’t going to stand down. Of course that he was dead scared of going back to war but if duty called, Aaron wouldn’t say no.

As the date of the wedding approached, Aaron began to sank more and more into work, attending meetings in different parts of France so when the day arrived for the trip, Carol and Camille ended up going first. Aaron would meet everyone a bit later on when he arrived.

Charles and Anne had picked a small town in Scotland to get married in. It was quiet and rural so the wedding was going to be inside a church and then follow into an outdoor venue for lunch.

Arriving at the station, Camille came down from the train with her mother, beaming when she saw Ben there to pick them up as promised. Her blue eyes beamed as he approached, looking more handsome than ever.

“Mrs. Dubois.” Benedict greeted, kissing Carol’s hand before he kissed Camille’s hand, leaving their more intimate greeting for when they were alone “Ms.Dubois.” He murmured, refraining from calling her by her nickname.

“Always lovely to see you Benedict.” Carol said, seeing how star-struck both of them looked just by finally being in each others presence.

“The pleasure is always mine.” Ben replied politely, taking their bags with his driver’s help.

The way to the place where they would be stayed was short and they only had a couple of hours to get ready. Upon their arrival, Jane came to greet Carol and take her upstairs. The women had been exchanging letters, mostly about their husbands recently, so Jane was eager to comfort her friend.

Asking a servant to take the luggage up, Ben went with Camille upstairs for just a moment and, as the servant left, they were able to be alone for a moment.

“How was your trip?” He asked quietly, knowing their mother’s were in the next room.

“Deadly long.” Camille murmured, smiling as they embraced tightly “These two weeks have been a torture.”

“I know. Please forgive me for not being able to visit. I had a handful of patients, I’m sorry.” Ben whispered, kissing the top of her head as Camille tightened her arms around him.

“Don’t be darling. I know I’ll always have to split you between myself and them and I am not upset. At least I had your letters.” She said, glancing up to smile at him.

“I’m so happy that you’re finally here.”Ben smiled, brushing her hair from her face as he leaned down to claim her lips.

Camille relaxed in his arms as they kissed slowly but passionately. As time passed, her love and desire for him grew stronger and the more she nurture these feelings, the more she knew that there was nothing her father could do to pull her apart from Ben. Camille was sick of abiding by her father’s rules. If there came a time to choose, she would choose Ben and she would be peaceful about that choice.

Ben embraced her tight in his arms, enjoying the feeling of having her within an arm’s reach. They had so little time together, or to him it always seemed that way, so he wanted to enjoy it. He wasn’t sure how long Camille was going to stay but he wasn’t going to worry about that.

“Nothing will interrupt us this evening,” He whispered as he pulled back, her lips slightly parted as she recovered her breath “It will be just you and me dancing and having fun.”

Camille smiled and leaned her head against his shoulder “That sounds perfect.” She hummed as Benedict rubbed her back.

Ben had a surprise for Camille later that evening but he wasn’t going to mention anything yet.

“I should go before Charles and Henry come looking for me. I’ll see you at the church. If you arrive first, save me a seat, yes gorgeous?”

“Alright,” Camille chuckled, kissing him once more before he went away, disappearing with a big smile.
A couple of hours later, Charles was beaming as he entered the church, greeting several of the guests on his way up to the altar. He had arrived about ten minutes early but he was already clenching and opening his hands nervously. Despite not having told anyone yet, he had received news that morning that he was to present himself for mandatory duty next Monday, which gave him two days to leave everything settled for his wife. Charles didn’t want to leave Anne, she was the world to him and he knew that she wasn’t going to take this well but it was his duty to serve the country and he knew that many of his friends would be called as well.

Camille arrived with her parents just in time to find herself and Ben a seat together. She waved at the people she knew, smiling over at Charles as he stood anxiously. Everyone was getting inside which meant that Anne was close to making her entrance.

As the music started, Charles straightened himself up and everyone stood to watch the beautiful bride walk down the aisle with her father. Charles was in awe as Anne smiled happily at him, a thin veil hiding her face. Ben took Camille’s hand discreetly, lacing their fingers as they all sat down again for the ceremony to start.

The ceremony was short but beautiful with the bride and groom saying their own vows before they exchanged rings and their sealing kiss. For a moment, every person present forgot the fact that most of the men would be leaving soon and that a war was about to break loose.

When Charles and Anne were pronounced man and wife, everyone clapped and cheered as they held hands while making their way out to a car that was waiting. The small reception was wonderfully decoration at a rather large garden that had been prepared just for this occasion.

Through Anne’s planning, Camille and Benedict were able to sit at the same table with Henry and a few of the Cumberbatch cousins. While that, Aaron and Carol sat with Jane and Patrick at a different table which gave Ben and Camie the green card to feel more comfortable in public.

Still holding hands discreetly, Camie and Ben chatted happily with everyone on their table while everyone ate and drank. When the first dance came along, everyone grew quiet as they watched. Camille got a bit teary eyed as Ben squeezed her hand gently.

Once every couple could join the dance floor, Camille and Ben were the first to stand up and make their way day. The rumours about them by now were clear, nobody had a doubt that they were, at least, courting. Just like the newly-married couple, Ben and Camie didn’t have eyes for anyone else at any event and so conclusions were taken easily but they didn’t listen to anything. As soon as Ben’s arm was around her waist, Camille forgot about everything else but him and the song that was playing.

When they danced, she felt completely at peace. It was like Ben and her ceased to exist at that particular space, just to exist in a little tiny bubble where there was only him and her. In that tiny bubble, they were happy and in love. There was nobody trying to set them apart or making comments about them. There was nothing else but the music and them.
After the first couple of dances, Camille and Ben stepped out to get a drink and while there, they ran into Henry who asked Camille to dance. Ben was more than willing to let them dance and he smiled, waving at his brother and his lover as they got together for a fun dance.

Holding a whiskey in his hand, Ben made his way out of the tent for a while and he nearly jumped when he felt someone joining him.

“I have to admire your perseverance Benedict.”

Aaron Ben flinched as he avoided looking at the man while he kept speaking.

“You have even managed to get my wife’s support in this quest of yours for my daughter’s love. I suppose you’ll be asking for her hand soon enough.”

“I cannot assure that Sir. Camille is still young and she hardly even knows me. I would never ask for her hand without being certain that I am the one she wishes to marry.” Benedict replied, though he would ask for her hand right at that moment if he knew he would get a yes.

“Don’t play dumb with me.” Aaron said harshly “We both know that you’d marry her, this instant, if you could. You let her dance with your brother but we both know how much you wish you could just elope with her right this evening.”

Ben swallowed thickly. He had thought over that possibility yes, to run with Camille to a place where they could be happy but he could never detach her from the ones she loved, especially Mel, to live hidden and in secret. That wasn’t a life he wanted for either of them. He wanted them to live proudly and without shame. They loved each other truly, they had done nothing wrong but simply to defy Aaron’s authority.

“I would never do that Sir. You treat me as if I wish to steal your daughter away but it’s quite the opposite. If she is to me mine, I will make her an honourable and respectable woman and wife, if it comes to be. My intentions towards Camille are good.”

Aaron sighed “You are almost a total opposite from your brother. Two very different men.” He said, taking a heavy puff from his cigarette “Has he told you?”

“Told me what?”

“He’s been called for service. He has to present himself tomorrow morning.”

Ben froze in his spot. For a moment, he felt like he was going to throw up or faint. Henry had been called to war, to actual war. He had never been to war itself, he had only trained and stayed in camp. War was a totally different situation.

“You didn’t know.” Aaron apprehended from Ben’s silence “I’ll be going as well, so is your father. Charles will follow on Monday, due to his marriage today.” Aaron said, still not having found the courage to tell Carol and Camille about his departure though he had everything packed back at their house, ready to be sent.

“I... I had no idea.”

“Did you enlist?”

“Wh... What? No. No... I... I didn’t.”

Aaron scuffed, looking up at Ben “You are a disgrace, aren’t you Benedict? What kind of a man ignores the duty of the country? You have known for two weeks that a war is about to break and you haven’t moved to enlist and help your brothers and fellow citizens? You should be ashamed.”

Ben stared at him coldly. Not even his father had ever said such words to him and he began to get infuriated. Aaron was going too far.

“I should be ashamed? You should be ashamed sir!” Ben exclaimed “Since we’ve met that you’ve hated me because I ruined your plans but guess what? I am not sorry. I love your daughter more than anything and I am not going to give up on her just because you want me to.”

“You’re not man enough for Camille. You’re going to watch your friends go, your own brother and father go to war while you stay here. What does that say about you?” Aaron replied back, knowing he was striking a nerve “How can I change my mind about you if you’re a sissy and a man without an honour?”

“I do have honour! I am a doctor and saving lives is my duty. My duty is not to pick up a weapon and go on a killing spree. This war is pointless and meant for manslaughter and we both know it! Don’t try to fool me into thinking that this is about England’s or France’s pride. You are all going to grad thousands of men after you, thinking they are fulfilling their duty, when they will just be fighting for someone’s spite. No country will benefit from this.”

“Saving lives in your duty, you say?” Aaron hummed “How about if you show me all this pride and
duty of yours?”

“How?”

“We’ll strike a deal.” Aaron started, looking seriously at Benedict “You’ll meet with me, your father and Henry to war but not as a soldier. You’ll come as my personal physician and you’ll help in camp with the wounded.”

Ben stood tall and proud “If I do this and prove myself worthy, in your eyes and consideration, will you give me Camille’s hand in marriage? Will you let us be happy without interference?”

Confident that Benedict wouldn’t last a day, Aaron nodded without a second-thought “Yes. If you prove yourself to be the honoured man you claim to be, I will gladly give my daughter’s hand in marriage to you and my blessing.”

“Benedict?” Camille called as she looked around, remembering vaguely that Ben had gone outside but she wasn’t quite sure where.

Henry was dancing with one of his cousins so she had taken the opportunity to find Ben and perhaps have a walk with him. Catching a glimpse of him, she smiled as she went outside but her smile quickly died when she saw Benedict and her father standing face to face. Both were serious and tense but she approached.

“Benedict?” She called again, without fear of her father.

Ben turned slowly and softened a bit at her. “Just a minute Camille, I am speaking with your father.”

“About what? My papa and I hold no secrets.” She said, approaching them.
Aaron eyed Ben before he glanced at Camille.“Oh mon ange it was nothing.” He soothed. “I was actually just leaving.”

Benedict watched gravely as Aaron went, barely believing what they had just agreed to. When they were left alone, Camille began to speak again but before she could ask all the questions that she had on her head, Ben pulled her in for a breath-taking kiss. He didn’t care who was watching and in return Camille blushed heavily, wondering what was going on with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I know it's been a long time but I hope that the long chapter can compensate for my absence.
As always, I'd like to thank for all the support that this story has received and I cannot wait to read your comments after this chapter. To be fair, more things are going to happen before war itself so fasten your seat belts!
I hope that you're all doing well and enjoying your summer!