Status: Active

Somewhere Only We Know

Safe in His Arms

Camille stared at the gift wrap resting at the feet of her bed. It had been there since that afternoon when Mel had brought it in and hours had passed by since. Mel had gone to bed long ago, the house was also silent but Camille couldn’t sleep.

She couldn’t stop thinking about Benedict’s attitude that afternoon. What could have gotten him so angry? What had she done? She had no idea.

All she knew was that their fathers had heard his shouting and Patrick was beyond embarrassed as himself, his wife and Henry left. Camille didn’t say goodbye to any of them and she refused to tell anything to her father. She didn’t want Benedict to look bad in his eyes.

But he already did.

Despite the fact that Patrick defended his son with all his might, Aaron wasn’t fully convinced to consider Ben seriously. After hearing the shouting, his opinion was even more negative.

To have a guest shout at his own daughter in their own house? He would not stand for that. He loved Patrick dearly but he intended to have a conversation with Benedict if he ever dared to step into his house again. His daughter hadn’t said nothing but Aaron could see how upset she was over dinner and he could not accept that.

He had let her retrieve to her room but he wouldn’t let this go that easily.

Finally making a decision, Camille took the gift in her hands and opened it slowly. Her mouth gasped a bit as she saw the beautifully crafted necklace. She had never asked Benedict for a present and she really didn’t mind not receiving one but this was totally unexpected. Picking the piece of jewellery carefully, she examined it, gently brushing her fingertips over the jewel. She had gotten lots of jewellery before but this felt special to her.

Benedict had picked that for her. He had picked it himself and gone to the trouble of getting her a gift when he didn’t have to. She couldn’t help but to feel herself sigh and then she stood up to stand in front of her mirror.

Placing the necklace around her neck, she gently caressed it but she couldn’t smile genuinely. She wasn’t sure of what had happened but she hoped she could see him again so she’d find out and thank him for the gift.

Henry nearly grimaced as his father’s lecture and voice was heard from the other side of their house. Aaron was upset at Benedict’s exit from the day before and Patrick was furious at his son. What he didn’t expect was for Benedict to also be beyond angry at him.

While Jane worried about their conversation, Henry ended up eaves dropping but he only caught the last few words as father and son shouted at each other.

“If you respect me, you’ll go over there and apologise!”

“I did nothing wrong! You bloody lied and went behind my back, father! As you always do! You go and apologise, since you nearly kiss the floor Aaron walks in. I did not ask for anything of this, I did not ask for your favour. I asked you nothing! I am sick of this. I am going back to England!”

Patrick was enraged by his older son’s reply and prepared to burst but Benedict was already out of the library. Deep down, he felt horrible. This was not how he wanted Benedict to know of his plans and he only wanted to help but Ben was beyond pissed, he didn’t even give him time to explain himself. The union seemed almost impossible now, though. Patrick was sure that Aaron would never see Ben with good eyes after the scene in his home.

Henry watched his brother go down the hall. Ben was never a good company when pissed but the young Cumberbatch couldn’t leave his brother alone. Darting after him, Ben only noticed he was being followed when he was half way down the path that lead to the woods in the back of the house.

“Henry, leave me be.” He warned as he kept walking. Once they were out of the area of the house, Ben turned back, surprised to have his brother following him with such perseverance.

The look on Benedict’s face shocked Henry. He looked not only angry but mostly sad. A sadness he hadn’t seen before in his eyes.

“I won’t Benedict. I heard father shouting at you and I have been patient, not asking anything, but now I want to know. What happened yesterday?” Henry asked.

Benedict hesitated. It was all too much. He now knew of his father’s plans, the plans he had all along, even before they came to France, and he was beyond pissed. He knew he couldn’t go close to Camille again. As much as he wanted to, he couldn’t and he had made a fool of himself too in front of her. He also didn’t want to tell Henry what the plans were, how he was probably chosen as the best suitor for her. He knew it wasn’t his business to tell.

“Did Camille say something to you?” Henry added, wanting to put pressure on his brother so he would spill “I know this must be something she said or did, tell me what is was. She did look wonderful but... well, one never knows, really. Women can be bitter surprises.”

“Don’t you dare say a vile word about her,” Ben snapped, staring at his brother as he grew tense. “Don’t you even dare speak her name if you are going to bash her. I will not allow it Henry.”

The slightly shorter male widened his eyes a bit “You know I did not mean to insult her or you for the matter. I just want to know what is going on.”

Henry hated to be left out of family problems. His parents excuse when the situation with Jocelyn occurred was that, since Henry was away at camp, they didn’t want to ‘disturb’ him so he ended up finding out almost a year after it all happened. Now, he wanted things to be different. He wanted to actually be there for his brother.

“You’ll know when the time comes.” Ben replied, forcing himself to calm down “I’m going on a walk. Alone.” He added, taking a deep breath “Oh and ... I’m glad to hear of your intentions to leave the army.”

Henry froze. What was he talking about?

“What intentions?”

Ben turned around to face his brother “Didn’t you mention that to Aaron Dubois? Father just told me.”

Henry sighed, looking down with worry “I might have... lied.” He said carefully “That happened when you and Camille were outside in the balcony. I noticed he was suspicious, probably planning to interrupt you two and I couldn’t let that happen so... I might have come up with a little lie to keep him talking to me. I never thought it could bring trouble, though.”

Ben didn’t know what to say at first. He knew that Henry leaving the military life was a huge argument in his favour in Aaron’s eyes but now this changed things a bit, though still not enough. He was thankful to his brother though. Ben knew he underestimated Henry too much and too often when he always acted to help him, in this case he could have put himself in a very awkward position.

“You mean that?” Ben asked “You did that for me?”

“Of course I did, Ben.” Henry said softly “I meant when I said that I am glad to see you have an interest in Camille. Whether it is romantic, friendship, platonic... anything! Please... don’t tell me she rejected you last night, though.”

“She... She did not.” Benedict sighed.

It was interesting how things could become so twisted and tangled in minutes. Ben was left with a dilemma now about what to do.

Clearly his brother knew nothing of the possible wedding but he had no interest in Camille either, which was a relief. Competing with Henry was something Benedict would never do. On the other hand, Benedict knew that impressing Aaron was key to ever even dream of having Camille’s heart. Aaron could snatch her away easily but Ben could not bear it, he couldn’t bear the thought of never seeing her again.

“Then what is the problem?” Henry asked as he and Ben began to walk in the woods, almost unconsciously. Ben had actually started it and Henry followed, not saying anything because he knew the way Ben had to cope with things: take long walks and think.

“The problem is that... Aaron is considering you as a suitor to marry Camille.”

Henry’s eyes widened as he followed the same path as Benedict, both side to side.

“I had no idea. Goodness... do parents still do that? Ben I don’t want to marry her, I hope you know that.”

Ben nodded but he was still concerned “I know but I fear that I cannot stop it. Even if you refuse, Aaron will marry Camille to someone else. Anyone else but me.”

Henry was quiet for a minute as he thought “We won’t let that happen.”

“How?”

“For now, we’ll stall it. We’re going back to England soon anyways so I’ll keep out of Aaron’s way for a while and, even if he sends Camille to visit us, I’ll make sure she gets time with you. In the meantime, we’ll get a way to make him like you and respect you. I’m sure there has to be a way but... Ben, are you willing to risk it again? Risk all again for a woman?”

Ben, who had been watching the trees since they had started walking, smiled for the first time during the day. Glancing at Henry, he nodded slowly.

“I don’t want to risk it all... at least not right away but I’d like to see where things can go. I mean
yesterday was... beautiful.”

“Did you kiss her you stud?”

“What?! Of course not!”

“Still a saint, I can see,” Henry laughed gladly, patting his brother’s back with a smile “But you have to admit, you want to squeeze her tight.”

“Henry.”

Suddenly a loud pitched cry of pain filled their ears and the brothers immediately followed it, startled by it.

Not too far away were Mel and Camille. They had been out in the woods for most of the day. As always, Mel would sit sewing or watching as Camille walked around, smelling flowers, observing trees, sometimes she would dance too but today she was quiet. Mel didn’t like when she was quiet because Camille only went quiet when she was upset.

The first time Camille went truly quiet was when her parents forbid her to do ballet. The girl had never quite understood why her dream had been denied but she still practised in secret. Every time her cousins went for a visit, either Mel or Luz would sneak and steal a pair of their pants so Camille could wear them to dance. She had ballet slippers of her own but her dresses were usually too long and therefore stood in the way of her body moving freely.

Today, she needed to organize her thoughts.

She still had no idea of what had happened with Ben but she knew that dancing would do her well, real dancing. Humming a tune to herself, Camille folded her skirt and placed it down before she warmed up as usual and began to do the routine she knew the best.

Mel watched her for a while before she observed around. Both her, Luz and Claude knew of her parents plans to marry Camille but neither of them had the right to tell her what her father was planning to do. Mel had no idea of when it would happen, who the husband would be but she knew that once Camille was married, she’d want to be out of the house. She would lose her best friend, yes, but she didn’t want to work in that house when Camille wasn’t there.

The sound of a twig breaking not too far from them caught Mel’s attention and she nearly palled when she saw a wolf appearing from behind the bushes. He didn’t look fully menacing but, even still, the dark haired woman stood up quickly, which was a wrong move. The animal snarled at her and she immediately glanced back at Camille, who was too distracted to notice.

“Miss!”

Mel’s scared call, startled Camille from her trance and she was quick to grab a rock to distract the wolf, getting the animal to advance towards her instead of towards Mel.

“Run Mel!” Camille yelled, quickly getting her skirt “RUN!” She yelled, the wolf focused on her as she began to walk back.

Seeing Mel move slowly to a corner while trying not to yelled again, fearing that Camille would be attacked, the young woman kept stepping back but seeing another wolf joining, she panicked.

Sharing a glance with Mel, Camille was ready to dart off running but she misjudged the floor beneath them and she ended up stepping on leaves that had been hiding a hole and she tripped, spraining her ankle.

The sharp cry of pain the brothers had heard was hers and they only stopped running when they saw both girls.

“Camille!”

Recognizing Ben’s voice, Camille turned around whining as she laid on the floor and she widened her eyes as he quickly moved to in front of her, standing tall over the wolf, seemingly without fear. From behind him, gun shots were heard and the wolves dispersed. Thankfully, Henry carried a personal gun at all times and it had saved them this time.

Ben turned around, his heart racing as he saw her down on the floor. She was terrified, he knew it.

“You’re safe.” He said softly, moving closer to her “Keep still, let me see if you’re hurt.”

While Ben tended to Camille, Henry went to Mel, softly comforting her as she trembled from the fright. He promised her they were safe now and he gave his brother time to check on his beloved.

“It’s just a sprain, thankfully.” Ben sighed as he glanced up at Camille. She seemed mesmerized by him. “Does it hurt?”

“Yes. A lot actually.” She said and with a short nod, he moved his arms under her to pick her up. Camille gasped a bit as Ben lifted her up almost effortlessly.

“Henry,” Ben called to get his brother’s attention “Go back with Mel to Camille’s home. Inform her parents of what happened and ask them to go to our house afterwards. Since it’s closer, I’ll carry Camille there and tend to her.”

Henry nodded and began to escort Mel back. The females shared a glance before they were separated and Camille stared at Benedict in shock.

“You don’t have to do this Benedict.” She said as he began to walk down the same path him and Henry had just came from.

“I don’t but I want to. My house is close and I can see your ankle better there. I am a doctor after all.” Ben replied, avoiding staring down at her. Though his heart was racing, his hold on her was safe. He wouldn’t drop her for anything in the world.

“Thank you.” Camille said softly, resting her head on his chest.

Ben said nothing but he felt himself melt. She just felt so comfortable against him, how could he ever want her away? He had acted purely on instinct just a minute ago. Seeing her in danger, he didn’t even think that the wolves could hurt him, he just wanted her safe. And now she was safe.

No matter Aaron’s reactions, his parents reaction, Camille was safe now in his arms and he carried her back to his home as planned. His mother was quick to have their servants ordered around as Ben carried Camille to the guest bedroom. Getting the medical supplies that were around, he sat with her on the bed and they were left alone.

Camille had been wanting to say something but seeing him act so kindly towards her after just saving her was making her feelings clash.

“Benedict,”

His blue eyes looked up from her ankle to her face.

“Please... Please don’t tell my father you saw me wearing these.” She said a bit embarrassed, meaning the pants she was wearing. She knew her father would heavily disapprove of her wearing anything else but a dress.

Ben smiled softly “It will stay between us.” He promised. It was the second time she asked him for secrecy and he planned on not disappointing.

“Thank you.” She smiled softly and he held her eyes in his for a moment. There seemed like there was so much they wanted to tell each other and couldn’t. “Could you hm... Help me into the skirt I was carrying?”

“Oh... of course.” Ben said, hurrying to get it. He now understood her father would probably be furious if she was dressed like a lady. Getting the piece of fabric back, Ben helped Camille get dressed while still sitting.

Getting the skirt past her feet, he watched as she pushed the fabric easily back up to her waist. The pants would be underneath and hidden.

“Aren’t you going to ask about them?” Camille asked curiously “I... I assumed you’d disapprove of them.”

Ben smiled as he returned to her ankle, also taking care of a few scratches she had on her skin.

“I’d rather you tell me why you have pants on, but tell me when you wish.” He replied softly “And disapprove? Oh no, Camille. Why should I? I don’t make such judgments.”

In all honesty, he hadn’t even noticed the pants until she had settled on the bed and he didn’t care
much about her clothing. He worried about other things, like her ankle. Concluding that it indeed was sprained, Ben explained to her what it meant and what she had to do for the next two weeks.

Thanking him, Camille was glad that it wasn’t anything too serious. Seeing him stand up, she went to grab his hand.

“Can you sit with me? Just... Just until my father arrives.”

Ben blinked and sat down facing her. Much to his happiness, she didn’t release his hand.

“I wasn’t planning on leaving, Camille. I was going to get you a damp cloth.” He said but she shook her head, saying she’d have one home. She just wanted his company now and he was happy to oblige.

“I have something to ask you.”

“Anything.” Ben replied almost instantly as they sat close.

“Did I do something wrong yesterday?”

His eyes widened and his jaw tensed “No, no. Oh Camille no. You did nothing wrong. Absolutely nothing.”

“I was so worried about you last night,” She confessed with a sigh “You seemed so upset when you left, I was afraid it had been me.”

“It wasn’t you. I promise you.” Ben said quickly, his other hand moving to cup hers warmly “Trust me, you did nothing wrong. I had a wonderful time reading with you and spending your birthday with you the day before.”

“Then what happened? Why did you leave so early? Why did you... Why did you tell me to keep away from you?”

“I...”

Ben hesitated. He felt tempted to tell her the truth, he pressed his lips firmly tight. He didn’t want to lie either but he didn’t know if telling the truth was wise. Seeing how her eyes pierced him, he swallowed thickly before he noticed a silver chain around her neck.

“What’s that?” He asked, reaching to touch it and as it slipped out of her neckline, he glanced up. It was his present.

Blushing, Camille snatched it back.

“It’s mine.” She replied quickly, hiding it back inside her clothes, the necklace resting between her breasts “Thank you, by the way. I had meant to say that before... it’s absolutely beautiful. I love it very much.”

Ben smiled warmly. She had no idea of how she had gotten the gift or known it was his but he was amazed to see her actually wear it and seemingly keeping it as a prized possession.

“You’re welcome. I... I was a bit afraid you wouldn’t like it.” Ben admitted and Camille gently squeezed his hand.

“You have a wonderful taste, just in case you want to know.” She said softly “Benedict, -”

“Ben,” He said softly, looking into her eyes “You may call me Ben, if you’d like.”

Smiling, Camille nodded “I like the sound of Ben,” She chuckled softly “You can get me a nickname too, if you’d like.” She added before she swallowed a bit nervously, licking her bottom lip “Do you really want me to leave you alone? I’d hate to feel like I am disturbing you just by being here.”

“I didn’t mean what I said.” Ben said slowly “But... I cannot tell you why, please understand. Please trust me, you will know when the time comes and no. No, I don’t want you to leave me alone. You don’t disturb me at all, not even in the slightest.”

Camille sighed. She understood that she wouldn’t get any sort of explanation from him but he wasn’t mad at her and he wasn’t pushing her away and that made her happy. Finding out what had happened lost importance compared to the fact that they were talking while his hands held hers.

Before she could add anything else, there was a knock on the door and the maid announced Aaron. Ben released Camille’s hand and stood up to greet her father outside of the room while the maid helped Camille get back into her shoes.

Aaron was a mix of anger and embarrassment. The man he had grown to dislike had just saved his daughter according to both Mel and Henry and now he had to come and thank him, obviously. Of course that Henry had exaggerated a bit on his brother’s feat but this was a chance like any other for Ben to seek approval.

“Sir.” Ben greeted, welcoming Aaron in as he extended his hand for a handshake.

“Benedict,” Aaron greeted, still standing stiff as they shook hands “I’ve heard what happened. How is my daughter?”

“She’s alright sir. Just a sprain. She’ll be alright in a few weeks.” Ben replied, being as polite as possible.

Aaron nodded “Thank you for all you’ve done but I’ll take it from here. She’ll be better home.”

“Of course sir. I’ll carry her downstairs.” Ben said, coming back into the bedroom without giving Aaron a chance to speak.

The tension was clear between them and Ben had decided he wouldn’t apologise.

“Camille, your father is here. I’m going to carry you downstairs, alright?” Ben said gently as the maid kept the door open.

Camille nodded, sad to have to leave so soon but she knew she had no other choice. Her father was already waiting.

“I can walk downstairs, Benedict.” She said, returning to his full name because her father was probably hearing.

“Nonsense, you need absolute rest so I’ll carry you. It’s no problem, come. Don’t worry, you’re safe with me.” He said gently as he picked her up again.

Camille noticed how strong he was. He lifted her up like it wasn’t a big deal and yes, she did feel safe in his arms and with him. He had saved her that afternoon and she would never forget it. She would never forget what he had done for her.

Aaron was already downstairs when Ben exited the room with Camille in his arms. He carried her down carefully and he let her go once she was inside the car with her father.

“Make sure to rest, alright? You’ll be well soon.” He said softly, smiling at her before his eyes settled on her father.

“Thank you once more.” Aaron replied dryly, turning up the engine, eager to go.

“Will you visit me?” Camille said suddenly, realising she was moments away from going “Promise you will.” She smiled at Ben.

Ben smiled a bit nervously, given the glare he was getting from Aaron.

“I promise.” Ben nodded “I’ll visit you soon and I’ll check on your ankle. Stay safe in the meantime.”

Camille nodded “I will. I promise.”

Sharing one long glance, both smiled and Aaron was quick to drive off. Ben stood as he watched them disappear and then he dragged himself back into the house. Before he could gather his thoughts, he found Henry staring dreamily at the center vase of flowers in the hall.

“Henry?” Ben called as his brother sighed.

“I don’t know what is about that Dubois house... but they have lovely females there. They must all be magical.” He smiled softly, looking at his brother.

“What are you talking about?”

“I’ve met a Goddess in the flesh, Ben.” Henry said, clearly overwhelmed by it “She was just... she was perfect.”

Ben tried not to laugh as he patted his brother’s back “Are you saying you’re in love?”

Henry nodded almost absent-mindedly “I am and now I swear, I swear, I understand all you’ve told me about women, about true love, about not flirting around and loving the right one. Good lord... I finally understand!”

Staring at his brother like he was sound mad, Ben couldn’t do anything else but encourage him on this new conquest of his.

“That’s great, Henry. Go for it.”

“I brought something for you too. I snatched it from Mel,” Henry grinned, showing Ben a pair of ballet slippers “Thank me for having the perfect excuse for us to go there tomorrow.”

Ben quickly snatched the slippers from his brother’s grasp and smiled down at them as his fingers brushed the soft texture of the outside of them. Looking up, he grinned a bit.

“Thank you Henry.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
To compensate for my lack of updates, I bring you a monster chapter. I couldn't find a moment where I could shorten it so I'm sorry if you find it too long. I am back to classes so I'll try to update every weekend but I cannot promise anything.
In the meantime, thank you for all your support. I appreciate you taking the time to read, comment and give a rec. It means a lot.
The plot is slowly unfolding. So far, Camille is the only one that doesn't know of the marriage plans but let's see if the Cumberbatch brothers can turn things around in Ben's favour. Any theories on who is Henry's beloved?