Status: On Going.

Ohana = Family

I Just Want to Dance

Chapter Two

Kana smiled as she moved her hips with the music, and so did the other four girls auditioning for the solo she was after. For as long as Kana could remember she had been at this hula school and for as long as she could remember she always auditioned for the solo and not once did she have it. She practiced a lot at home, even at the hospital where she worked, but she was just never good enough to get the solo.

Her instructor wanted the best and unfortunately for her, there was always someone better. Kana just once wanted her time in the spotlight and for everyone to watch her and see how proud she was when she danced. But sadly, she was always in the background and slightly removed from the group. She wanted to be friends with the other women in her class, but they always left her out of the loop even when they were girls.

The music ended and Kana held her final pose, just as the others did, before those watching clapped and they were allowed to drop their pose.

“Very good, very good. You’ve made my decision very hard, but I feel Alanna would be best for the solo, she did very well and has practiced her hand placement and the improvement shows,” said the instructor as the other women and girls swarmed to congratulate Alanna and Kana just stood to the side looking down and trying to figure out what she did wrong.

“I’m sorry Kana, but your footwork still needs improvement,” said her instructor when Kana walked over. She heard the other girls make their way to the changing room and she watched them leave before looking at the instructor once more.

“But I practiced!” She argued, “I keep practicing but I am never good enough. Not once have I had a solo but Alanna has had four already! When will I get a solo?”

“Just keep working at it and one day it will happen, okay?”

“Okay,” sighed Kana before making her way to the changing room and to her bag. She heard the other women talking in their little circle as she changed in her corner away from the others but still listening to their conversation.

“So we are all on for lunch, right?” asked Chloe looking at the others around her.

“Absolutely, that place has the best sushi,” said Alanna.

“Can I come?” asked Kana, already changed out of her hula outfit and ready to head out. All of the others’ heads looked up at her.

“Oh,” said Hana, “I’m sorry, Kana, but we are all going with our husbands and boyfriends, we would like for you to come but you would feel a little left out, don’t you think?”

“Oh, no that’s fine,” said Kana before shifting on her feet and walking out. She heard laughter come from behind her as she left and she glowered at the changing room door behind her before stomping home.

_._._._._

Malu grumbled as she stomped her way home. She was at yet another job interview for a hotel management job that did not end well. She had a degree in hospitality and many years of experience what could possibly be the reason they keep turning her down?

“Hey! Watch where you’re going, stupid head,” she yelled at some guy that came and stood in front of her. He was a tall black guy with an eye patch, to most he would be menacing but not to Malu, he was just someone who got in her way at the wrong moment.

When she arrived back home, she groaned as she saw the front door was wide open and her younger sister was laying on the floor holding a book over her head as she read in the living room. Malu walked in and slammed the door shut, looking at her sister to see if there would be any reaction. There was none.

“Did you forget something, Kana?” asked Malu crossing her arms and tapping her foot.

“Welcome home, Malu!” Kana answered with a cheerful voice but her face remained emotionless.

“The door, Kana! The damn door! I’ve told you time and time again to close the door and lock it when you are home alone!” said Malu motioning her arms towards the front door.

“Why does it matter, we’re on an island with a very small population, that reduces the chances of crazy people wandering into our house. Plus people on these islands are too lazy to steal anything,” answered Kana as she turned the page of her book. Malu rubbed her temples before marching over to her sister and swiping the book out of her hands. “Hey!” said Kana sitting up angrily.

“Would you just listen to me for once?! I want you to close the door and lock it when you are home alone and I don’t want to have to tell you again, got it?” she asked getting into her sister’s face. Kana just glared before trying to reach for her book.

“Give it back,” she said.

“Promise me you’ll do as I say and I’ll give you your book.”

“Then promise me you’ll actually do your damn dishes instead of leaving them in the kitchen to rot and fester like your feet,” said Kana. The two sisters then started a glaring contest.

“I do not,” said Malu.

“You do too, just go into that kitchen right now and take a big sniff then come back and tell me what you think,” said Kana. Malu paused before thrusting Kana’s book back into her hands.

“Don’t forget the door again,” she said through gritted teeth before shoving her backwards. Malu then walked to the kitchen and Kana could hear her begin to wash dishes. She smiled to herself in victory before laying back and finding her place in her book.

A knock soon came at the door and Kana ignored it while continuing on with her book. The knock became more persistent and Malu walked into the living room, drying her hands and looking at her sister.

“Are you going to get that?” she asked.

“You told me to close and lock the door, not answer it,” replied Kana. Malu let out a deep breath before tossing her towel at her sister and answering the door herself.

“Yes?” she asked answering the door irritated. There stood a tall black man in all black with an eye patch that looked really familiar to her.

“You?” he asked narrowing his eye at her.

“Have we met?” she asked trying to place it.

“Stupid head,” he said with a flat tone and realization dawned on Malu.

“Right, sorry. You caught me at the bad moment. What can I do for you, Mr…”

“Fury. Agent Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I am here to ask you a few questions,” he said glancing in the house and spying Kana laying on the ground reading. He raised an eyebrow at her but overall ignored it.

“I never heard of S.H.I.E.L.D. before,” said Malu crossing her arms defensively.

“We’re a small branch of the government, we like to stay under the radar,” he answered as he moved to clasp his hands behind his back.

“Okay, well what did you want to ask?”

“Have you seen or experienced anything unusual in the area recently?”

“Besides my sister, no,” said Malu tossing an annoyed glance at Kana. Fury glanced at Kana’s direction too as she raised her middle finger up at Malu’s direction.

“Right,” he said moving his attention back to Malu, “well here is my card, if there is any unusual occurrences, do not hesitate to call.” Malu took the card and looked at it before looking up at Fury.

“Strategic homeland intervention, enforcement, and logistics division? What does that even mean?”

“Call if you see anything unusual,” he said before turning on his heel and walking back down the path. Malu closed the door and glanced once more at the card before placing it on the coffee table and returning to the kitchen, after grabbing the towel from Kana.

“Maybe he is looking for aliens and their sources led them to you,” said Kana.

“The only one that is inhuman around here is you, Kana,” said Malu before she began to do the dishes once more.

_._._

“No sign of Loki yet, just some unusual locals,” said Fury on his phone as he continued back down the path.

“Well keep looking, that is the only place it would see like he would appear. There aren’t many security cameras on the island so unless he goes to make a deposit at the bank, we can’t use the face trace like last time,” said Hill.

“When do Thor and Foster arrive?” asked Fury as he tugged on his shirt. Damn it was hot here. He needed to consider a new wardrobe while he was here working this time around.

“Tonight around eight. They’ll check in at the hotel and be on the hunt tomorrow,” she answered after looking up their details in their system.

“Good, I’ll need all the help I can get,” he said before hanging up and coming to the main road. He looked up and down it, not seeing anything but trees and other tropical plants. He went right and continued down the street to find more people to ask and praying they weren’t all like those two sisters.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
I will continue to write this story as much as I can so I can get it updated faster and therefore finished faster. I have a basic outline written so that should prevent any writer's block. Feedback would be great.

Thanks for reading.

-Charlotte