I Am Sherlocked

Recruitment

Claire had finished her morning routine before leaving. The street had a refreshing air to it as she took in a deep breath through her nose. The town was reasonable busy with cars passing on the street. People walking with their headphones in and heads down. Claire stood on the edge of the pavement to call out for a taxi.

On her way to the London Police Division Claire had a dry sensation in her mouth. Almost like there was something hard to swallow about moving on.

Olivia was one of Claire's best friends in America. When she was in New York they lived together and shared an apartment. Olivia had just gotten engaged before her murder. It was a dark night, nothing like the others. It was almost as if the city was trying to tell them something. Claire had left the club early and went home to sleep before getting up to work the next morning. Had she known what was to happen that night she would've stayed. By morning Olivia still hadn't come home. Claire had assumed that she had gone back with her newly engaged fiance. Claire proceeded to collect her things for work before leaving for the office.
When she got to the office, Claire took out some pain killers for her headache. While doing so, the lead detective brought in a brown file.
"Fresher?" She questioned,
Frankie just continued to look at the file,
"What?" She pressed,
"What is it?"
"I think you should take a look"

Claire slowly pulled the file along the bench she sat on, and flicked her thumb under the cover. Attached to the inside of the cover was a photo of Olivia. Claire's heart stopped and leaped to her throat. The were no words for this. She couldn't think. Couldn't speak. Her mind went blank.

The taxi pulled up outside the police division building. Claire clutched at her portfolio in hopes that they would accept the transfer. Her dark blue jacket wrapped around her keeping the cool air from exaggerating her nerves. She had been calm until now. Until thoughts of her last case came to mind. Her hands melted in her pockets of her dark blue jacket.

Walking into the division building she could smell the old familiar smell of aerosol and paper. There were people moving about like an intercity motorway. Weaving through each other like a plait of a rope. Each strand working as hard as the other.

Claire had always considered herself as a workaholic. Never being able to find time for relationships. She could feel herself settle again after her nerves igniting. She could feel that rush. That adrenaline pump through her veins.

She carefully stepped her way through people till she got to the reception area.
"Hi, I'm Claire Hudson, I'm here to see Greg Lestrade about a transfer"
The girl had strawberry blonde hair and was neatly plaited to one side. Her black glasses perfectly framed her devastating blue eyes. The same color as the deepest part of the ocean.
"Sure, let me ring his office"
"Thank you" Claire said, stepping back and taking a long look around.

There was a man standing next to a skeleton with a laser pointing through it. Obviously marking out the angle of the shot from the impact and damage. In another area there was a woman with black curly hair, she wore a beige jacket and was talking to another man with shoulder length black hair. The woman placed her hand around his wrist and spreading her fingers into his palms. "Lovers" Claire thought, though not really knowing why she needed to make that judgement anyway. To her left, behind the reception was an elderly woman. Her hair was grey and she wore a striking green top that had incidentally matched her wedding ring. Her wrinkles showed she was a happy type of woman, as did the constant stopping and smiling followed by a lengthy conversation with most people she passed. Claire, overall, decided that she could get used to this place. It didn't seem too hectic, and didn't seem too dull.

"Miss Hudson, how nice to meet you, I'm detective Lestrade"
This man had a square head. This was the first thing Claire notice. As it was the most noticeable thing about this man apart from his also noticeable grey hair. His hand was firm in his skin, and firm in his grip which made Claire question her initial judgement of his age. "Late 30's" She thought to herself.

"Claire" she insisted with a smile, "What a work place you going here" She complimented.
"Yes, we're always kept on our toes" He nodded towards the elevator he wanted her to follow him too. Compliantly she followed as he showed her around the ground floor on the way.
"I understand you were involved in a compromising case previously" Greg instituted in the elevator.
Claire's eyes fell to the ground as if they had found a weight to drag them down.
"I assure you sir, whatever mistakes I have made I have also learnt from as well. I don't intend to make the same mistake twice" She said carefully, but proudly. Masking any hurt that may have been able to escape in the quiet elevator.
"I'm sure you won't" He smiled, with a pat on Claire's shoulder.
"In this division, my division, I consider all parts family. Here we have the annoying brother" He said as he pointed to the office where the black haired man from down stairs sat at a desk.
"His name is Anderson," he informed her, as he opened his door.
"Anderson, Claire. Claire, Anderson" Claire gave Anderson a nod before being ushered out of the door by Greg,
"And then over there we have the strictly organised and punctual sister" He then continued to a room with the shutters pulled closed,
"This is Sally" he said as he opened the door once more,
"Sergeant Sally Donovan, Sally, Claire. Claire, Sally"
She was also the woman from downstairs that she had seen earlier.
"So you're the new addition to the family" She smiled politely with her hand out. Claire cordially shook her hand.
"I hope so" Claire said softly with a smile.

Greg continued to show her around, introducing her to a few more people before taking her to St Bartholomew's Hospital. Where he introduced her to Molly Hooper. The morgue specialist at ST Barts.
They then headed back to the division.

"So in light of all this introducing, and familiarizing I am pretty safe to assume the transfer had been accepted." Claire asked,
"Yea" Greg said, "I personally requested you"
"Me?" Claire questioned.
"Meet you're unofficial official new partner" He said walking towards a third office and opening the door with his name on it.
In the seat with his back towards the door was Sherlock.

"Sherlock?" Claire examined,
"You've met?" Greg asked,
"We're flat mates" Claire and Sherlock answered simultaneously.