I Am Sherlocked

Blind

Sherlock has always thought that your heart should never rule your head. That the common trait of common people is a destructive virtue. It's a dangerous disadvantage he would always say. And a disadvantage love was. Sherlock had always gone by the facts of life. To trust his senses. He could look at the tie of a business man and tell how long he had been in business for. He could smell the aroma of a fresh murder scene and pick out if the attacker was man or woman. He could feel the clothing or surfaces and know if it had been raining in Cardiff. But he would never be able to put a finger, see, or smell what love was. So how could he ever trust it? The feeling of love was completely alien to him, but the chemistry of love he had always said, was extraordinarily simple. He had only one encounter before Claire, and that was Ms Adler.
That was different however. Sherlock was thrilled by Irenes ingenuity and intelligence. Sherlock never felt affection kindred to love for Irene, it was more or less that she encapsulated the dominance of her sex. Rather fittingly also, as she was referred to as 'The Dominatrix'. She had only ever remained as a figment of his imagination. Almost like a virus in his hard drive he was either too lazy, or too attached to discard.

Any emotion that any human being was capable of feeling towards another human being was completely despicable to the arctic heart, and definitive mind of Sherlock. Love was a contradiction to all things he believed. And should he have slight feeling of this was a distracting perception. He often a likened love to that of a fire. That it ignites from a friendship and causes all things to burn. That he should get to close to the flame it might melt his icy heart.

Claire was similar in respects but for different reasons. She had always been afraid to fall in love as the only thing she had seen come of it is sadness and resentment. She had always felt that her life was content with the friendships she shared, but of course, not even that was true any more. Had she considered Sherlock a friend? Sure, but to feel that she was completely content with their current relationship status would be a lie.
She had seen love been used as a leverage, as a tool of manipulation. She had seen love die in the arms of each other, with nothing but an orphan child to show for it. Love was the opposite of fairy tales for Claire. She refused to fall into the same boat, into the same soppy story. Death was her destination, and she was comfortable with traveling there alone. She did not wish to bear any heartbreak, grief or anguish upon those she would leave behind. The hurt would end with her.

But sadly, Claire had to admit to herself that a fire was kindled inside of her. It grew stronger with every mention of Sherlock, with every connection of his enticing eyes, and every conversation spoken with the depth of his voice. She found it harder to believe in loneliness when she thought of a life without any part of Sherlock in it. For now she would just have to make do with the companionship he had entrusted with her. The companionship she had entrusted with him.

Claire was sent by Sherlock to investigate a crime scene in Downtown London with Lestrade. Her amateur deduction skills were enough for him to be able to solve two crimes at once.
As she arrived at the scene Donovan was waiting for her to welcome her in.
"What's to know?" Claire asked, pulling on latex gloves and tying her hair into a pony tail.
"Woman, late 20's, stabbed 7 times to the abdomen"
"Have we secured any evidence?"
"We've taken a saliva sample, no identification was found on her. We are currently scanning the crime scene. Anderson has take the sample, as well as fingerprinting the wrist. There were no signs of resistance however"
"Thanks" Claire smiled as she ducked under the tape and walked closer to the crime scene.

As she got closer, she couldn't help but to feel as if she had seen this before. The girl resembled some one similar to Olivia. The clothing was almost identical. In fact, it was.
"Who did this?" Claire said angrily at Lestrade,
"I'm not sure, this is what we do"
"No, who did this?" She insisted further,
"Claire?" Lestrade looked at her,
"This is exactly how Olivia was found, these are the exact same clothes that she was wearing the night she was murdered"
Claire examined the body closer, looking for an engagement ring on her left hand,
"This is the engagement ring that her fiance proposed to her with." She looked inside the ring for the engraved message he had written to her. 'Beyond time'. It was a saying that Olivia had often talked about. She had always believed in life after death and was always inquisitive about things beyond time. Beyond measurable distance. But not forever, forever never existed in her eyes.

***

"All things end, all hearts are broken, all life ends with death. There is no such thing as forever, but there has to be something beyond death, beyond a broken heart, and beyond the end ya know? It's impossible for human beings to cease to exist. We live in memories, and stories. We are all written in history, no matter how big or small we may be to the world, we have played our role in the making of the present. It is we who determine tomorrow before it has even come."

***

"Is it the same?" Lestrade asked,
"Its the exact same" Claire replied,
"But how can that be?"
"I don't know" Claire asked,

She checked the pockets of the victims jacket for any type of evidence. But she found nothing. She checked her eyes which were thankfully a different color to Olivia's, and her teeth. The second from the back, Claire knew, had a filling inside of. The filling was absent. Someone had re-enacted the killing of Olivia for Claire to find. It was a test, and a reminder. A reminder for what? Maybe she was being reminded that she couldn't run away from what had happened, and that it would follow her no matter where she went. That Olivia's death would never cease to exist. She would forever live in her memory, her case would be written in history. She would live beyond time. Just the way she wanted.

"I need to find Sherlock" Claire said to Lestrade, who stood blankly staring at her.
"Claire, someone is trying to manipulate you. They are testing you and they will win, don't let your emotions cloud your judgment" He said softly, like a warning written in tissue paper.
"I know" Claire sullenly said, her eyes hidden from Lestrades sight.

She raced off to get a taxi to go back to Baker street.

"I need you at Baker Street. Urgent" She text him as they drove to Baker Street.

She put her phone back in her pocket and returned to biting her thumb nail. Confusion attacking her mind. Memories interfering with reality. Her frustration making it harder to decipher the difference.

The taxi pulled up to Baker Street, and Claire, without hesitation, ran into the apartment and up the stairs.
"Sherlock!" She yelled, to see if he had arrived yet, but there was no reply.

Instead there was a woman with black hair sitting in the clients seat.
"I'm sorry can I help you?" Claire asked, slowly calming her anxiety.

The woman turned her head slightly revealing only half her face. But that was she needed to do before Claire had recognized her.
"No Claire, I don't think you can"

Claire's knee's went weak and she could feel her legs give way. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she fell backwards into blackness. Numbers and words all flew through her mind. Facts and principles circling in a whirl wind of catastrophe. It was not possible. How could it be? It was just not possible.