Starstuff And Shimmer

Brass Bathtubs and Dainty China

Marie felt the change in her normal room before she even opened her eyes. When she did open them she was shocked to find herself in a room she could only describe as her dream room.
The room was fairly large but looked more quaint because of the queen sized bed the sat in the middle of it. The bed itself was a fourposter bed with its frame made of mahogany and sheets that were soft and warm and a lovely shade of light ivy green.
The walls of the room were painted a dark, almost black, shade of ivy green. There was only a cabinet, a wardrobe and a type of odd bookshelf that had three regular sized shelves in it but no more than that. it sat on a small table, all of them made of mahogany. The cabinet had glass on its doors that showed the contents which was a old set of dainty teacups and plates and a large teapot. The wardrobe was closed and plain. The small bookshelf held old thick books that were bound in leather and the table beneath it held a few odd looking boxes that looked like confusing puzzles.
Marie shrugged to herself not caring what they were.
What she did care about was the wardrobe. Not because it was necessarily interesting but because she could tell a lot about who owned this room from their clothes. She could also do this with the books but seeing how they were covered in a layer of fine dust, she figured that would be a worthless effort.
She got up and walked over to the wardrobe. The room was a pleasant temperature near the bed but the farther away she got, the cooler the air seemed to become. She shivered a little bit as she stood in front of the wardrobe and, with a hesitant hand she reached forward to open it when the door to the room swung open with a loud clang. Marie looked up, startled, to see a smug Chesh leaning against the door frame. He walked forward and yanked open the wardrobe nearly scraping off Marie's nose.
The wardrobe was empty except for an ancient looking chest with the words 'Extra Clothes' scratched onto the top. "Well isn't that handy to have a whole trunk full of extra clothes just sitting there." Marie said dryly. "If you needed clothes" He said with a sigh as he leaned over the trunk. "All you needed to do was ask." "I didn't say i needed clothes." she growled glowering at the back of his head. He stood up a smug smile still tugging at the edges of his mouth. "Oh yes" he said tugging at her matted shirt "You do." Marie looked down at herself.
Her clothes were matted with an odd black goo and crusted with a silvery dust. "Okay ya i do... but I'll pick them out." She said softly and leaned over to grab some clothes from the trunk. He turned to leave and said with a bit of a laughing undertone "The bathrooms down the hall when you need it, feel free to take a bath."
"Thanks" she mumbled not feeling quite as grateful as she felt she should. She sighed as she shuffled through the contents of the trunk. The contents were slightly surprising. There were only a few pairs of pajama pants and comfortable worn shirts made for a man but mostly there was just women's clothing. Fairly modern.
She shuffled through hoping there would be a set of bra and panties to wear as she figured she was crusted all through her clothes. There was but they weren't what she had expected. They looked like leather. They weren't but they were made to look that way, they were actually quite comfortable and soft to her fingers, you just had to look past the decoration leather.
She sighed and took them and one of the soft t-shirts and a pair of shorts that looked just slightly too short for her comfort. She walked off to the bathroom and found that this was quite feminine as well. It had a few fairly pretty blooming plants in it and a large blurred window that opened outward, it had a bathtub that looked like it was brass and had a clean counter with a brass looking sink.
She started the water and scraped off her crusty clothing. After a while the tub filled and she stepped in thankfully. The water steamed around her and she spent quite a time scraping her skin clean.
By the time she was done her skin felt as if it had been peeled off but, she also felt refreshed and she dried and changed quickly. She inspected herself in the mirror. The shirt was obviously meant for either a very large and broad women or a man and Marie was neither. She was short so the shirt came down past the shorts she had picked and the wide collar of it slacked off her shoulder showing the seemingly leather strap of her bra. She sighed and tucked a part of the shirt behind her shorts to let the world know they were there. Her hair was a darker shade of blonde but she was so fair haired that it didn't look any darker than dirty blonde. Her face had a healthy glow to it and her well worked and toned arm muscles looked that way under the large shirt. She liked that she thought as she stepped out of the bathroom. She bumped into Chesh immediately.
He had been pacing nonchalantly around the hall while she bathed. He stood back and looked at her. He pinched her arm "Where did a shut in get arm muscles like that?" He asked with a questioning look on his face. "I'm not a shut in, and working with weapons is enough to get arms like these, i suppose." he raised an eyebrow. "Weapons?" he asked unconvinced.
"Ya when I was little i wanted to be an assassin and my parents couldn't deal with my stare so they let me start learning how to handle a whole variety of weapons." she said truthfully. He pinched her arm again "You any good?" "Oh i probably don't compare with a demon hunter." She said half mocking and poked his hard chest as if testing it. He pushed the upraised finger away "Doesn't matter as long as you aren't a burden." she frowned "You say that as if i have been before."
He shrugged "Well I did have to carry you home on the train and that was a pain." She rolled her eyes lazily and pushed past him to get back to her room "Whatever." she said over her shoulder "I killed a demon for you when you couldn't so you owed me a little bit." He followed her shaking his head "Your not a very grateful little thing, even after I took you into my home which, is much safer than yours right now and, I'm currently going to let you travel with me so that you can help me." She turned "Your going to let me help you?" He smiled and nodded happily.
"Why should i want to and more importantly why should you want to and what do you mean travel when you have a proper home like this one? Why would you have a home and travel so much?" He held up his hand "So many questions... i guess I'll have to answer them in order. So, why you would want to is because lets face it your life is the cover girl for boring lives and why i want to is because having a starcatcher with me will make me about 10 times as powerful and also raise my chances of not... passing on, which, is something i would like to avoid. Why i travel is because that's what demon hunters do, we travel where we are needed and i have a home and travel because i need a safe place and, this is it."
Marie thought in the ringing silence afterwards then with a thoughtful look said "Okay but i want to get my clothes." Chesh scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "Ya about that, you see the demon kind of shredded your apartment and also kind of burned all your clothes and, in fact everything in your closet, to crisps." Marie raised an eyebrow,sighed, then walked forward very calmly and slapped him across the cheek.
He stared at her "What was that for i didn't burn your clothes!" "That" she said with a deadly calmness "was for letting the demon destroy everything I ever knew." and she turned walked a few steps and held her head.
She filled her head with thoughts of stars to calm herself then, turned back to Chesh who was still standing there like an idiot. "Fine" she said "I'll travel with you despite the fact that you ruined my 'boring life' " and with that she closed the gap between her and her room and slammed the door shut.