Status: Complete

I Walk a Fine Line

Chapter II: Snow Covered

Gerard looked at me like I was crazy. I wasn’t alone, someone else was like me. Well, not exactly 'the same', but close. I had a person that was able to do the unthinkable. He had just relayed a cryptic message which seemed undefinable.

The only reason I knew Gerard’s name was because his brother had told me. I knew that when he walked into my tent, something was going to happen. That Gerard was special in a way. I couldn’t get through to his mind; his brother was a bit harder as well. But Gerard- I couldn’t tell or read what he was thinking.

“Why do you want to get into my mind?” Gerard asked, a look on his face that told me I was in deep shit or something. It was odd; watching this man that was average height with the bottomless eyes hold his hand on his hip.

I almost thought I was looking at my mother again. I had run away almost four years ago. The day that I ran I never looked back, I never felt regret for running. I knew what would have happened if I had stayed and I didn’t want to see that happen. I was afraid that every time I looked at myself in the mirror, I would see the past flash in my eyes. Most days, that didn’t happen, but every now and then, I would see bits of my past.

I looked at the young man that was sitting in front of me. Gerard’s black hair lying on his pale skin (which was slightly red from a small sun burn on his high cheek bones), the endless pools that were his eyes. The green and brown seemed to blend into a puddle. Pretty, Beautiful, irresistible, none of these fit Gerard. Pulchritudinous that was the only word that even came close to fitting.

“Frank? Why do you want inside my mind?” Gerard was repeating himself. I guess I spaced off a bit.
"You're the only person who I can't read your thoughts, see your past, see what your future is, and it's starting to get on my nerves," I rambled. Was I rambling? Why did I have this wonderful man in front of me?

"If it helps put you at ease, I will let you in." Gerard winked and I knew it came at a price; that was the only plausible thing.

"What's the catch?" I was concerned as to what the catch was. I felt my hands heating up, the moistness coming forth.

"I need you to give my brother a full reading first." A sly smile came onto his face, the lagoons that were his eyes gave a small glint of 'I'm-hot-and-I-know-it-and-there's-nothing-you-can-do-about-it'.

"I can do that. Mikey, if you would just give me your hand, I would be happy to tell you all that I can that you don't already know," I told the sixteen year old teen.

Does Mikey have any gifts? Is he like Gerard and I? Does Mikey have a gift that is rare and powerful? Is it the three of us, or is it just me and the magnificent man that had a smirk on his face?

"Um...alright, would you like to sit down?" Mikey asked, now looking a bit out of place.

"That's up to you, but no matter what: you have to see a gate. No mater what the gate looks like, you have to find the weak spot. It might look like a hole, doorknob, light leak, or a shape; when you find it, tell me what you see," I told the sixteen year old brunette-haired boy with glasses.

Slowly, I was pulled to the ground. Both of us had our eyes shut, but that didn't matter.

"I can't find it. There is no shadow or leak in the fence." he pulled his hands out of mine.

"What did the fence look like?" I asked. This was vital information.

"Just the run of the mill chain link fence. The kind that you see in most yards." Mikey was still sitting, as was I, but he finally opened his eyes.

"That's odd. Mikey, was there any light coming through, at all?" I asked as I tried to see if I could get in now and, just like Gerard, I got nothing.

"No, is that a bad thing?" Mikey now started to look like he was worried and unsure of something.

"Not at all. Now, do you want to try again or wait until a later time?" I questioned him. Gerard was starting to look worried. That look on his face is not a good look at all, I thought. The way his eyebrows came together to form a slight gap and the curve of his lips came down into a slight frown.

"Yeah, I think that might not hurt. It might just be because I was so worried about Gerard awhile ago."
Mikey scratched the back of his head, his glasses moving slightly.

"Alright, you tried, so I will let you into my mind." Gerard sat down in front of me, his legs crossed like when we were in kindergarten and we all had to sit like that. "Mikey, I want you to please wait outside the tent for a moment."

A slight nod from Gerard's brother and the lanky boy stepped outside.

I set my focus on seeing what I could. But I was met with darkness, just moving shadows. Like in a forest.
"Gerard I need you to see light, lots of light coming in, just a flood of white light." As soon as the words left my mouth, light started to come in.

We were in a forest, black and white were the only colors that could be seen. In front of me was a large tree. The strips of black ran around the tree like ribbon, the smaller the strip the longer it ran. Gerard could be seen in the shadows. His clothing had changed.

A river of blue and red could be seen in the distance. Small marks seemed to run in the smooth snow. Though it was winter here, I felt hot, as if the sun were beating down on me in the summer.

Suddenly it all went black and I was forced out. I opened my eyes to see Gerard sitting across from me with light spinning around him and I looked down, only to see similar strands of light floating around me. Slowly, Gerard started to lean in my direction. I leaned as well, my eyes slowly closing, and a loud bang from outside caused Gerard and I to jump backwards. A slight blush on Gerard's face and a heat in mine.