Aurora Woods

Prologue

Aurora Woods was marked for dead before she was born. Before the menacing howls of inhuman beasts scorched the mountain of Olympus. Before she let out her first cry and before her mother could so much as kiss her head.

She was born on the longest night of the year away from the Gods fortress. Away from the madness of the red night, and away from the euphoric dismantling of the eternal moonlight.

She was born mortal in a tree stump to a city of elves. She was born with dark cherry hairs sprouting like grass from her head, blue eyes as clear as the sky would be, skin as white as the snowflakes that skirted to the ground and lips as pale and peachy as the lurking sunrise.

And within the moment that the prophecy had sprung true Hera and Gaia condemned the babe as the Goddess and Protector of Dawn: the warrior of sunrise and the keeper of new beginnings.

The mother screamed as they took the child away. Staring off at the fading image of her wailing child, she watched with teary eyes as the sun rose for the first time and her newborn babe’s exterior, glistening with the power of the gods and the spark of infinite light, faded off into the distance like the stars of the night.