Aurora Woods

Hang On The Hook Of Your Splendor

228 Years Later

The first time I saw her she was falling from the sky. Her body lifeless and drained, rolled off of each tree branch doing no damage as if she was weightless. Her mystical entity had set with the sun, and it was my duty to bring her back. Only she could set us free.

Her song had called out to me, I had heard it before, and only when the song stopped did her body come into light and did I see her. No words or screams drizzled from her mouth while she fell. She didn’t flail or cry, her body, propelled by gravity bent backwards and flitted just like a feather falling from a bird.

Deep cherry coloured hair splayed out and billowed upwards reaching for the sun that bound her, and when she landed with a force large enough to create a crater only a few squirrels gathered the rest of the animals scared off by my presence.

While I approached her eyelids stayed closed. Her hands twitched with her torso attempting to escape, to fight the bounds that kept her there and temporarily dead. I loomed over her, preparing to lift her and take her back to the clan, so we could free ourselves and we could end her.

As my hand fell under her neck preparing to lift her, her eyes snapped open and her cracked lips parted for a noiseless scream. I was taken aback by her eyes, I had been told they were as blue as the daylight sky on the clearest day of the year, and yet the echoed back the stars with a darkness greater then the moon possessed.

It occurred to be soon that she wasn’t looking at me, she was looking past me. She had probably never seen the stars. Never lived a night in her entire extended lifetime. A slight smile touched her lips as she noticed the patterns in the twinkling lights and her forehead crinkled with focus.

“Who are you?” I asked my voice gruff with the night’s air. She didn’t seem to mind or care, but the smile fell from her lips as she choked out her answer.

“Aurora Woods,” she coughed her voice constricting with the fading about of oxygen.

The sensation I got from her name was unlike anything else before, and as her hand bloodless hand reached up to cup my jaw I gave into instinct -- something I had hoped to never experience. No more thoughts crossed my mind as I ripped open her dress exposing her chest. She was whiter then any cloud I had ever seen. Transparent with night I watch as the small blue rivers in her skin slowed their running.

“What are you doing? What-what's happening?” She gasped feeling the cold Without a word I bent down and embedded my teeth into her chest just above her breast. No screams left her mouth but her body arched out of pain, and her limbs laid lifelessly next to her. She panted gasping for some amount of air that could sustain her long enough to yell or hit.

Then she was gone, completely lifeless, just as the legends had suggested. I couldn't stop my stare, taking in the looking of her faces now settle blue hue of her cheeks, and the total look of peace on her face. Quietly I ran a finger across her lukewarm forehead then down across her lower lip. Warmth sunk down into the pit of my stomach as it fell away from her body.

Then, there was a noise of howling and the rustling of branches. Shaking my head I lifted her corpse into my arms and began to sprint through the forest – someone would have heard that.

The Elven Glen appeared quickly, its shield glistening with starlight. Without hesitation I crossed over the border and into the Glen thus breaking a two hundred year old law. The elves would all be asleep, scared out of their damned souls of the wicked creatures who roamed the nights forest.

I laid her down on the porch of a home, and with a quiet whisper I ordered her, “Keep that hidden and wait for me.” With a quick final caress of her marked chest I knocked on the front door and fled.