The Poetry Teacher

The Poetry Teacher

The bell rang and all the students got up and left, desperately wanting to go to lunch. I stayed to gather my things as Billie stood in a corner, starring at the floor, like trying to think of something to say.

When I was finished, I got up, and started to leave, but Billie stoped me and said, "Hey Sandy um did you like class so far?"

I replied, "Yeah, it was great, you're a really good teacher."

He smiled and said, "Thanks, um, I noticed that at the begining of class you seemed kinda tense, you ok?"

I said smiling, "Oh, well you know the begining of junior year is sort of nerve wracking. Like the weird tests, scholarships, getting ready for college, the actual stuff."

He nodded and said, "Well that kinda explains it, well, um it was nice talking to you today. I meant to say this morning and now, does now still count as morning?"

I replied smiling, "Yeah, now counts as this morning, don't you think it's kinda early for lunch?"

He said, "Yeah it is, i was quite surprised by that, this school is kinda nuts, don't you think?"

I remarked, "Yeah it is, I'm surprised you actually wanted to work here. I mean you're too good of a teacher to be working in a place like this."

He said, "I guess giving this place a chance would be good and it's the only school on berkeley that's closer to my house."

I laughed and said, "Same here, exept for whole giving this school a chance part, that was my mom."

He laughed as well and I guess we had a moment, because we were starring at eachother for quite some time now and it was feeling kinda awkward but good.

I broke it off by saying, "Well I gotta get going, um, lunch is almost over cuz it ends kinda early too. I'll talk to you later, bye Billie."

He replied, "Well it was nice talking to you and hope to see you around."

I smiled and waved back, I felt so confused about Billie, but another part of me said to continue talking to him and to take things to the friends level. I'm so gonna follow the second advice, I know that for a fact. I continued walking and I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I turned around and saw Billie's face in view, what is he still doing here? I don't care! I still wanted to see him and I guess he heard my thoughts.

He said, "I bet you're wondering why am I still here, but the truth is that I don't want to leave you alone, you know, because a part of me wants to be with you even more when you get away. OMG I didn't just say that, I'm such an idiot."

I smiled as a warm feeling went inside of me, I'm lost for words. I finally said, "It's okay, really, it was unexpected but great. I mean the real reason why I was feeling so tense was because you were in the room and I think I must be insane to like you, because I do. Then, another part of me says, "He's a teacher, stay away," it's really confusing."

He smiled the same way I did and said, "It's okay too, well um it all happened so fast don't you think?"

I laughed and said, "Yeah, since both of us told eachother how we felt like word vomit, I guess we should just do something about it."

He replied, "Well, you know what, that sounds great."